Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
So my exhaust brake isn't effective

(98 8.3) I swapped the air cylinder out as it had seized over the years. I have ran with the bed lifted and watched as the switch is depressed that the cylinder closes the butterfly valve but it just doesnt have any effect on slowing it down.

Theres no cracks in the exhaust manifold that I can see. I almost suspect someone took the butterfly plate off of the brake. But thats just too odd.

Any guesses?
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
KIX

Look for soot. Soot is a tell-tale for exhaust leakage.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I think you'll have to dismantle the exhaust on either side of the engine brake to get an eye on the butterfly flap. Are you sure the shaft is actually rotating when the cylinder pushes? If the shaft is frozen, perhaps the lever is just sliding on the shaft without turning it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:47 AM   #4

Is your transmission selecting downwards at the same time.

If you are in a high gear coming over the top of the hill, you will feel very little braking because the transmission won't actually downshift and the engine revs are low so the exhaust brake doesn't appear to add much. Often need to manually brake until the transmission can drop a gear or two and then the revs increase and the exhaust brake becomes effective.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
At what speed are you doing all this??? Ours shows very little "stopping power" at 55-60 mph or higher.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
At what speed are you doing all this??? Ours shows very little "stopping power" at 55-60 mph or higher.
Same with ours, the trans is programmed to preselect 2nd gear but we have to slow down for the trans to drop down to 4th before we feel much, if any, retarding effect.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #7

I had the same sense that my engine brake wasn't very effective at higher speeds and was wondering if it was working.

From what was posted above it seems that what our MH brake is demonstrating may normal function….afterall it's not a jake brake.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #8

The TCM/ECM interface will not allow downshifting until it reaches a set-point where the engine will not over-rev. You may select 3rd gear, but it will not downshift until it reaches a safe shift-point RPM. The when it does downshift, it does so with a bang. I allow the TCM to select the correct gears at it's scheduled RPM/time, unless I'm on a steep downgrade at low speeds, then I select 2nd gear. The RPM's must be over 1,800 before you really feel the PacBrake, but over 2,000 RPM is where the PacBrake works best. I think the TCM's automatic up-shift point is 2,600 RPM, to keep from destroying the engine. Allow it to do that and then you must rely on your service brakes for control until you slow enough for the RPM's to allow downshifting again.

I agree with BFlynn, check the butterfly shaft for proper rotation. Use special PacBrake high-temperature grease on the shaft bushings to prevent it from galling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake