RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #15

Foretravel Owners Club
Those "flakes" you are seeing.....
Might have a lift pump fixing to take a powder...

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #16

I googled "ATA charge air cooler" and found that it is something that fits in the sandwich of radiators. Doesn't look cheap....

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #17

I re-read everyone's advice and I took the grill off the side to expose the CAC - it seemed to be fine. I found the 2 big hose connections at the CAC, they seem to be fine and then I followed the piping up to the turbo and back to the engine and those hose connections seem fine also. I looked at the entire length of the exhaust manifold and didn't see any cracks or black soot. I remember the pictures posted of where their manifolds had cracked in half.

I then started the engine and went back there and looked, felt the hose connections and listened. Then I went outside to the CAC and listened and felt the hose connections. All seems fine.

I'm starting to think the engine was like this when I bought it and I didn't know any better. There isn't many hills in FL, at least where I live, so didn't notice the lack of power in my trips around here and thought it was normal. I started noticing the lack of power on the trip this week. Is it any noisier than before - not that I can tell. As I mentioned earlier I don't have a boost gauge - just the normal air pressure, oil pressure, temp for engine and trans and fuel gauge.
The temps were fine on the trip - tranny got to 200 once but usually under. Engine hovered around 180.
No smoke out of the exhaust pipe. I only turned on my exhaust brake when I needed it.

So I'll still hunt for another fuel filter and wait until the air filter gets here.

If you guys can think of anything else please shout it out.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Those "flakes" you are seeing.....
Might have a lift pump fixing to take a powder...
They were kinda transparent and small. I hadn't seen them in the bowl before I removed the whole filter/bowl.
I tell ya, my hats off to the diesel mechanics that work on RVs. I have no idea how they get to stuff while working under the bed. I know that my engine slides out (like my genny) - seems they would only slide it out to replace it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #19

...seems like enough low boost that would impacted power would also result in some black smoke under load?????? worst case--it might be a low fuel pressure/ injector pump thing--eg fuel starvation.....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Take a look at your throttle linkage on the Fuel pump- Have someone inside and floor the pedal ( Engine off ) and you look to see that you have full throw on the pump.
Here is the location of the additional fuel filters- Pass side looking through the last door where your muffler is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Filters-2.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	211811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Filter-3.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	211812  

NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #21

Thanks Chuck. Seems that the pedal will take the coach upwards of 2500+ rpm, so it has full range. The pic you provided is the exact place the manual shows 2 filters. On mine, someone moved "the filter" to the back by the bumper. I have to hunt down the possibility of another filter.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...seems like enough low boost that would impacted power would also result in some black smoke under load?????? worst case--it might be a low fuel pressure/ injector pump thing--eg fuel starvation.....
On the way back home, every time I started in first gear on an incline I had my wife looking for smoke and she never saw any. ????
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:32 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, since you do not have a boost gauge, get your charge air cooler pressure tested, they can do this at a large truck shop! They will hook up a air line to it, and pump the pressure up to around 25/30 lbs. and time how long it takes to bleed off! That will tell you if it is leaking or not!
Also, just because you can get it to rev to 2500 rpm's, does not mean you have full range of the throttle! Go back to the throttle linkage, and turn the key on, motor off, have someone floor the peddle slowly, and when they have it all the way to the floor, grab the linkage on the side of the fuel pump, and see if you can move it more! Just explaining it a little better, NHRA225!
Your LA weigh's a lot more than my Monaco! Mine is no speed demon getting up to speed, but it does it easy, and pulls the hills very well!
I am guessing your CAC is leaking off your boost, so you are loosing performance! And if your throttle linkage is not going all the way to the stop on the pump, you may be accelerating at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, and not full throttle like you think! Rail!
Old 07-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
The info on the coach is in my signature 'cept that it is 325hp, 29000 lbs.

Is there anything else I am missing as I think through this problem?

I have experienced the butterfly valve of my Exhaust Brake sticking and not having much power above 40 mph. It was very noticeable.

If you have an exhaust brake you might consider doing a semi-annual lube as they recommend.

I also have experienced my Fuel Shutdown Solenoid rod not opening high enough to get full power.

The rod is adjustable to the Run position.

I would favor the fuel filter or air filter as the cause however.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
In fifteen years as a service manager, only one time did I have a problem like this. (that was not related to the turbo) It turned out to be brakes not releasing.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #26

Thanks Rail, Dean and GA. Tomorrow I'm going to put her up on ramps, I have my inspection camera so I can look around on the curb side of the engine at the fuel transfer pump. From there I should be able to trace the output to find any and all filters (I think). I'll look down the input side too.

Dean, I have lubed the exhaust brake recently with their lube. The brake used to operate correctly (releasing when there was no movement of the coach) but it stopped working and $2k later the mechanic installed a new switch at the end of the linkage and now it will stay closed at idle if I don't remember to turn it off.

GA, I think you're leaning toward a turbo problem. A buddy today mentioned taking the hose off at the turbo and seeing if the turbo spins freely. I will try this also. Which hose is best to remove to try this?

I watched my tire sensors often during the trip and didn't see any abnormally high tire temps. Are you also thinking I'm dragging my brakes? It's possible I guess. It rolls at idle easily though - just no power on any incline.

Air filter is on it's way. I "reset" the air flow tattletail and after driving it the other day it is still at the bottom, like it was when I reset it. Last time I reset it and drove for 300miles, it was back up to 12ish.

Boy am I learning from this problem - good stuff!!
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #27

I know your coach is a Newmar and mine is a Monaco, but this is my discovery on the one fuel filter issue. I was told I only had one fuel filter/water separator also. Stopped at Speedco for oil and filter change and was charged for two fuel filters. When I questioned why two, the mechanic showed me the second filter tucked high up under the rear bumper cover. The filter he took off looked like it had been there for a long time. Worth a quick look.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:14 AM   #28

That's where my only one is located. At least the only one I know of.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.