RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #1

Something happened and now she's a dawg

The info on the coach is in my signature 'cept that it is 325hp, 29000 lbs.

I just went on a 1300 trip and started to notice that this baby doesn't have the power to get out of it's own way, particularly on a hill. It was getting that if I had a hill on the on ramp I was trying to use, I was trying to merge at 20mph!!
It seemed that the "diesel" pedal was pegged most of the trip since there was very little flat places. Once we hit flat we were good.

I have 1200 miles (now 2500) on the fuel filter (I have one filter) and the sight bowl looks clean with no water. The air filter monitor is at 12. I see no black smoke coming out of the tailpipe.
This is a pre-electronic 8.3.

Seems like it is usually air or fuel on these old things and I do remember climbing hills well before.

So I ordered a new air filter. I will change the one fuel filter I know about.

Spartan says I have 2 fuel filters yet no one can find the 2nd one.... Newmar says I have 1...

Is there anything else I am missing as I think through this problem?

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Rick-- Difficult to speculate on your loss of power , But ! The 6CTA8.3 needs Fuel and Air to Run.
Mine has 3 fuel Filters .
That would be my 1st guess is to change all that you have - guessing at least 2-- next is the Air Cleaner- Change that too !

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #3

Possible turbo issue, torn boot that is leaking boost, leaking intercooler? WAG.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
What are your gauges telling you? Are you getting boost when you accelerate or go up a hill?

My coach didn't go slowly when I had a clogged fuel filter, it felt more like a miss under acceleration.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like my Cummins when I had a cracked exhaust manifold. With most of the exhaust gas leaking, there's not enough to spool up the turbo.

Look for black carbon marks along the manifold. It should also be louder than usual.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
Possible turbo issue, torn boot that is leaking boost, leaking intercooler? WAG.
Ditto. Fire that beast up and go back and listen/feel for leaks. Holes in the cooler or lines will kill your boost. No boost = no power. While you're there make sure the fresh air intake to the turbo is in good condition. A large group of really stupid bees built a nest in my intake snorkel. First trip I sucked those stupid bees, nest, honey and all, into my filter. Make sure the intake path is sealed and not sucking dust into the turbo.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #7

So far the comments seem the correct places to start looking. Fuel delivery and air delivery. I agree about the fuel filter plugging usually it does seem like it is missing. Which would lead me to think more like bob91 air system issue such as leak in intercooler, connector boots loose or torn, stuck open wastegate valve, turbo going bad, perhaps good exhaust manifold leak or as you mentioned clogged air filter but you said no black smoke which is something not uncommon to see if an air problem. No idea how many miles on it but perhaps the injection pump is getting old and tired. This is a bit more out there but transmission torque converter issue?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #8

Thanks guys - I changed the fuel filter today - site glass looked clear and when I moved the filter around I saw some flakes, of something, floating around - hmm.
Changed it, filled the filter with diesel and started the engine. Let it run a while toi make sure there was no problem with the flow.

Tomorrow I'll take it for a drive to see if the power is back.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Thanks guys - I changed the fuel filter today - site glass looked clear and when I moved the filter around I saw some flakes, of something, floating around - hmm.
Changed it, filled the filter with diesel and started the engine. Let it run a while toi make sure there was no problem with the flow.

You may be right about having only one filter. My 03 Dutchstar had only the one which was a Filter/Seperator with a water sensor on the bottom.
Fleetgard FS1022
Old 07-20-2018, 12:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mine only has one FF too! You have a boost gauge, what kind of boost are you getting on a hard pull?
Check all your ATA connections, you will have four rubber hoses with springs on the outside, make sure you have no holes or rubbed spots, and clamps are secure! If they are leaking, your will notice the lack of power, not as much boost pressure! If they are all good, and you are still lacking boost pressure, you will have to have your ATA charge air cooler tested to see if it is leaking!
If it is, buy a Dura-Lite replacement, much better than stock, and made in Florida!
If it was your filter, get two or three more, for spares, and some biocide, and change them out till your get your fuel cleaned up! Rail!
Old 07-20-2018, 01:18 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:

Hmmmm....
If everything checks out and gets going like you think it should...
Keep in the back of your mind..

With your older coach...be aware that the original fuel lines are not compatible with the "new" ultra low sulfur /bio added fuel.
what happens is the inside of your fuel lines slowly disintegrate.. The first thing you will see is little black lumps in your fuel filter, then you will start seeing little air bubbles in the sight class..

good luck
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 AM   #12

Thanks again - I'll take it for a ride later today.
I'm waiting for the new air filter to arrive. If I changed them both out and it started running proper again I wouldn't know which replacement was the culprit.

Dennis, my buddies '99 300hp 8.3 has 2 filters, so it's confusing, especially when all of you guys are saying you only have one also.

Rail, I don't have a boost gauge. What is ATA? I have 2 spare filters in the coach and a few more in the garage.

Saddle - I am in fear of the same thing that happened in the boat industry when ethanol came out. Worked like solvent on all the old lines and carbs. I have not seen any black in my fuel and I have kept biocide additive in the fuel since I bought her. The stuff I saw in the sight bowl was white flakes.
Stay tuned.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks again - I'll take it for a ride later today.
I'm waiting for the new air filter to arrive. If I changed them both out and it started running proper again I wouldn't know which replacement was the culprit.

Dennis, my buddies '99 300hp 8.3 has 2 filters, so it's confusing, especially when all of you guys are saying you only have one also.

Rail, I don't have a boost gauge. What is ATA? I have 2 spare filters in the coach and a few more in the garage.

Saddle - I am in fear of the same thing that happened in the boat industry when ethanol came out. Worked like solvent on all the old lines and carbs. I have not seen any black in my fuel and I have kept biocide additive in the fuel since I bought her. The stuff I saw in the sight bowl was white flakes.
Stay tuned.
ATA, air to air aftercooler! Rail!
Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #14

Thanks Rail, don't have any idea what it is though ;-)

Well, the new fuel filter didn't do a thing to improve the performance. Drat! I drove it to my buddies house and let him drive it since he has a DP with 300hp and he drove it about 100 feet and he said he didn't need to drive it anymore - something is definitely wrong with her.
So I'll have to wait until the new air filter gets here in a couple days.

In the meantime we called a guy my buddy met at a rally - he is a retired Cummins mechanic that teaches classes at rallies. Anyway he gave us a few things to look at, which we did. We manually revved the engine using the linkage that the foot pedal linkage attaches to - seemed to go right up to 2200 no problem, and he watched it move while I pressed the pedal. The guy said just before starting it, I should hear a pump that runs for 30 secs and shuts off - a pressure pump. I didn't hear it run, but the coach runs, so I assume it had done it's thing.
We didn't see anything abnormal on any of the rubber on the air plumbing, either on the intake or the output side of the air filter.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.