Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Stop engine light came on

We have a 2004 HR, with a Cummins ISB 300 engine, and only 18,700 total miles on it. We went on a 2,000 mile trip in 2013, but only a 25 miles trip in 2014. The fuel tank is about 3/4 full.
I started the generator for 35 minutes of maintenance and it ran great. Then, I started the coach engine and let it idle a couple of minutes. The wipers started going, but I hadn't even touch the switch and I could not get them to stop. I shut the engine off, restarted, and the wipers stopped this time. After a few minutes, the check engine light came on. Then, in a couple more minutes, the stop engine light came on. I had about 65 psi oil pressure, the engine sounded good, and the outside temp was about 70 degrees. I shut the engine off.

I read about checking both coolant levels and I will do that. But, there is no fluid leak on the concrete. I am also wondering if maybe there is an issue with microbes growing in the fuel tank, but don't know at all.
Now, I guess I cannot even take it to a service center to have it checked and corrected. But, I did read that someone else drove their's and their stop engine light went off.
What ideas do you have? And, why did the wipers run for no apparent reason? Is that a clue to what happened?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #2

If the stop engine light is on , there is a good chance that the engine will not rev up beyond 100o>1200 RPM so driving any distance could be a real challenge . Check your owners manual for info on this, if my engine protect light comes on the control module cuts power to about 130HP, just enough to allow you to move to exit the highway.
With multiple electrical issues happening after a long period of storage;
there is a good possibility that you have rodent damage to the wiring somewhere in the coach or corrosion on ground wiring somewhere.
Are your wiper controls , dash mounted, on a signal switch stalk or do you have a smart wheel?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Thanks for your reply, Skip426. My wipers are on a dash mounted switch and I guess I don't have a smart wheel. I don't know that term. It is just a plain steering wheel with no cruise, wipers, radio, etc. on it.
I will check the grounds to see if they are clean and tight.
I don't have a rodent problem in the coach or in the yard. I always check for dropping and nest materials.
A friend of a friend said that Cummins 5.9L engine are known for sensors going bad. This is the engine I have. I have never had any issues ever before.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #4

Pogo, " Smart Wheel " is the term for the high tech steering wheel , with the push button controls for, cruise, wipers and sometimes radio function, all in the hub of the wheel.
Something that may be worth a try, would be a chassis battery disconnect, and when the battery cables are off , hold the brake pedal down for 10secs. Holding the pedal will drain the engine control module's internal power supply , and should clear the codes , until the fault is detected again.
This should put the light out , but may make finding the cause difficult, until it re-occurs and can be scanned at the shop.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Pogo,
Do you have the diagnostic button/switch on the dash that should provide a blink code if there is a fault. If so what code does it show.

If you are not a member of the Cummins Quick Serve site I would join, it has lots of information including trouble shooting and codes. You need to create an account then use the engine SN to register the engine.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Thanks for your help, Jim. I really don't know if I have that or not. Do you know if that was installed on 2004 models? I will have to look into that. And, thanks for the Cummins Quick Serve info.
Skip, I will do what you offer to clear the codes. And, then see if it appears again. Thank you for that.
I love the great help that irv2 members offer.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #7

I would suggest your wiper switch is corroded, causing that problem, due to non-use.
Only using your engine for a 25 mile drive once in a year is likely the problem with the stop engine light. At this point I would drain the fuel tank until you get clean diesel with no trace of water/condensation, and lines, replace all fuel filters, add a biocide and fuel system cleaner, re-prime fuel system, allow to sit overnight, and run at high-idle for 8-10 minutes. If it continues to run, and you get no warning lights, go for a highway drive to further test the fuel system
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Thanks to all of you.

Ray, Your suggestions make sense to me. I will do that, and I bet that is what is needed.
All of you had smart ideas and I have learned from all of you.
Thank you.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #9

Pogo,
Did you get a "Stop Engine" or "Check Engine" alarm. I have had a few Check Engine Alarms where the buzzer comes on with the dash light. The engine de-rates to reduce horsepower but does not die.
I have been chasing this for years and about the time I think I have it fixed, it happens again.
When it happens to me I just slow down and get to a good spot to pull over. Shut the engine off, let it sit for half a minute and restart. Alarm clears and I may not see it again for days or weeks.
I paid Cummins to hook up and check it. They could not see any error codes on the engine since day one. So, I will keep looking....
Old 01-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
no alarm sounded, Dennis

Dennis45, I did not hear any alarm. I may not even have on. When this happened, I was sitting parked, with the engine idling, not driving as you were doing.
I plan to have some free time tomorrow to do all of the checking that everyone suggested. I hope it's not raining then.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
update to stop engine light on....

Thanks to you, I found that I had to add over a gallon of water to the plastic overflow tank. Then, I disconnected the battery for a couple of days and reconnected it. After topping off the chassis battery charge, I started the engine and let it run again for a while. This time, "no check engine" or "stop engine" light came on.
I had assumed that since there was no wet spot on the concrete, there could be no coolant leak, so there was no reason to check the level.
I was wrong. And, the oil level is right at where it should be.
So, do you know where the water/coolant went to? The last time we went somewhere, there was no check engine light that came on.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #12

Hi Pogo,

Regular maintenance is key. It can get real expensive letting fluid levels etc get away on you.
As for the coolant, it's hard to say where it went. There are lots of connections where it can escape. I would refill the coolant and take an oil sample after you have run for a few miles and up to operating temperature. This will rule out any internal leaks like head gasket, oil cooler etc. I doubt this is the cause but peace of mind is everything. I take samples from the engine and transmission once a year just before I get the oil/filter changed. I am a big believer in routine samples.
Then, pay very close attention to the engine area looking for wet spots. It could be as simple as a leaking fitting around the expansion tank but these can be hard to spot and pinpoint the source. And keep an eye on the levels.

A couple of years ago while chasing the CEL, I had a coolant loss issue also. I had the Pressure Cap tested and found it was releasing at about 6 PSI instead of the design 15 PSI. This is a simple test. Remove the cap and take it to your NAPA or Auto Parts store and ask them to test it. If it tests good, carry on looking.
Word of experience, if the cap does test bad and you replace it, make sure to test the new one. I went through 3 before I found a good one.