Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #29

No explanation of the purpose or if there would have been one or two wires, I'm not impressed.

I'm going to check to see if there is continuity between the terminal and the block of the engine (see it the solenoid could be grounded through the valve, and check to see if the wire lead is hot on a cold start)[/QUOTE]

Glenn, the solenoid, would be for fuel supply to the" starting aides " this is a system I have no experience with, a Dodge Cummins used only an 12v grid heater in the intake , not the combination fuel/electric , your engine has. Remember when testing the harness for power, it will only be live when the wait to start light is on.

Didn't see DonL's post before I posted , there is the answer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
On a serious note here. I looked back thru your posts and it is obvious you know a lot about engines. A LOT. So with that said, I'm going to throw a couple ideas out there from someone who hasn't worked on an engine since the early 70's.
First, from comparing the pic. to the diagram, I believe it is a solenoid for the air intake system.
Second, I saw some of the previous owners wiring skills. Could he/she have had an after market gauge installed in the cockpit that they removed and just cut the wires? Check under the edge of the dash for mounting holes. That's where we mounted them back in the day. Except for the tach, that was on the column.
Third, could they have capped the other connecter to prevent some other loose part from making contact?
Just a thought.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #31
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
Glenn

Our current MH is the second with an 6C8.3 Cummins and both have only one wire to the intake heater fuel solenoid. Never had a cold starting problem with either one of them.

Don
This is good to hear, would it be possible to get a picture?
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #32
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Second, I saw some of the previous owners wiring skills. Could he/she have had an after market gauge installed in the cockpit that they removed and just cut the wires? Check under the edge of the dash for mounting holes. That's where we mounted them back in the day. Except for the tach, that was on the column.
Third, could they have capped the other connecter to prevent some other loose part from making contact?
Just a thought.
There are no additional holes up on the dash, The only ad ons on the dash was a small toggle switch under the lip at the bottom of the dash (with wires that lead no where), and a small indicator light inserted into the dash panel (which had no wires at all and does not seem to have ever been connected to anything).

I have looked and can find no wires anywhere that might have lead back to the dash.

I'm beginning to believe that that tab that is so clean may have been folded over, and that is why it looks so clean.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #33
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just to keep everyone up to date, this is the latest response from Cummins. To me it almost sounds like someone from India as the english does not make sense, I'm bad but this is worse.

Glenn,
I believe my co worker said he would be ground wire and then they can add leads to the solenoid. If you want, I can see about my co worker explaining that to you if you need better understanding. He is more technical than I am, so I may not be relaying that information as well as he could.
Mark
Customer Care Representative

If we have misunderstood the information in your communication or you have additional questions please feel free to respond to our support staff by e-mailing powermaster@cummins.com or call Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET at 1-800-DIESELS (1-800-343-7357). If you are located outside of North America, you can reach us at 812-377-3000.
For authorized service center locations please visit:
Cummins.com
Cummins.com
Everytime.cummins.com
Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #34
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I received a call from from Cummins today.

It is a solenoid/valve. The wire is a 12volt supply that should only be hot when the wait to crank light is on on the dash. It is part of the intake heat system. There is no ground wire, it is grounded through the valve body.

The one tab that appears to be clean and should have had a wire connected to it should be folded over, and be flat against the valve body. When this has been done I suspect we will find that the other side, the side current not showing, will show the signs of passing time.

So... all questions have been answered at this point. Thanks for all your help.

I did receive a finial e-mail.

Hi Glenn,
I heard you spoke with Mike. Was he able to answer all your questions about the part?
Mark

If we have misunderstood the information in your communication or you have additional questions please feel free to respond to our support staff by e-mailing powermaster@cummins.com or call Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET at 1-800-DIESELS (1-800-343-7357). If you are located outside of North America, you can reach us at 812-377-3000.
Cummins.com
Cummins.com
Everytime.cummins.com
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Glad you got that sorted out.
Well what do you think of the customer service now? They could have just left it but someone decided that you needed the right answer.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #37
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Glad you got that sorted out.
Well what do you think of the customer service now? They could have just left it but someone decided that you needed the right answer.
Bill
I'm pleased that someone did get in touch, but took several e-mails. It does not stand up against the customer service provided by Fleetwood.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Just to keep everyone up to date, this is the latest response from Cummins. To me it almost sounds like someone from India as the english does not make sense, I'm bad but this is worse.

Glenn,
I believe my co worker said he would be ground wire and then they can add leads to the solenoid. If you want, I can see about my co worker explaining that to you if you need better understanding. He is more technical than I am, so I may not be relaying that information as well as he could.
Mark

Cummins.com
Cummins.com
Everytime.cummins.com
And don't forget our daily specials on frozen slushie drinks and gummie bear candy's!!
stumpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #39

not an oil sending unit because it has a diesel fuel line going to it.

Navy Vet, Army Vet, Disabled Vet, VFW life member.
dizneydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins