Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

This is weird

Today I drove the coach with 3/8 tank (150 gal tank) to the LP fuel station, got my fuel and then tried to start the coach - it would start for a second and then die. I tried it probably 6 times and the same thing.
Wow, was it out of gas? (I just replaced the fuel tank level sending unit) I doubt it but I'm at a loss. Could it be a fuel pump???
I decided to try the fuel part. I had a 1 gal tank of diesel and poured it into the tank. I couldn't get it to empty all into one of the fill points so I went to the other (and still couldn't get the last 1/4 gal in the tank). I have a funnel for the next time.

I tried to start it - it started and kept running - YAY. I quickly drove right across the street to a gas station and pumped 95 gallons into the tank (which verifies the 3/8 tank level from above).
I have always added a biocide additive to the fuel and did so upon fill up. I refilled the 1 gal tank and added biocide to it.
The coach started right up and I drove it 20 miles to get some corner weighs on it. No problem. I didn't shut it off during the weigh process and took her home with no problems.
Any ideas? I've read about a tube in the tank for the genny, but seems kinda weird for the main engine....
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #2

Coud be that the fuel pick-ups are swapped. You would need to pull one or the other to see how long it is.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Coud be that the fuel pick-ups are swapped. You would need to pull one or the other to see how long it is.
That doesn't sound like fun (based on the ordeal I just went through to change out the sending unit).
I looked back through my mileage log and found that a couple fills ago I added 120 gals, so I've been lower with no problem.

Could it be that just opening the fuel tank cap helped? Like maybe I had a vacuum something going on?
I looked at the site bowl on the fuel filter and it was clear of any mold or debris and I didn't see any water. My fuel filter is less than 1100 miles old.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:52 AM   #4

In your struggling to change the sender, could you have kinked the tank vent hose ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

No, I don't think so - my struggle was getting pressure on the screw heads so I could break them loose. Once they were loose it was a 5 minute replacement - straight out, straight back in. Now that it is full I also looked to see if I have a leak, which I don't. Not sure where the vent tubes are - I was working on the side of the tank.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like your engine in on the generator pick up tube.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #7

Would it have been possible to swap the engine fuel line with the generator fuel line during reassembly of the replacement sending unit?
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:57 AM   #8

I never touched anything other than the sending unit and it only has an electrical connection.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #9

Just returned from a 1300 mile trip and never had the problem (I filled up at 1/2 tank or just below) but as I arrive home I am at the approx same fuel level as I had when this happened at the beginning of the topic. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'm going to reach out to Spartan to see what level of pipe they set for the generator.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had a similar strange event. Went 700miles on a tank (low fuel light just flickering on), pulled in, put in 83gal (on a 100g tank), started motor. Put my foot on the brake and it died. Took several seconds to catch but eventually restarted. Drove out on to road, it died again. Managed to get it restarted and pulled into parking lot, ran normally.

Drove another 700miles (VMSpc indicated 9.5 mpg the whole way), and it shut off at 60mph on I20 just 1.2 miles from the exit I planned to pull off at. Managed to restart it and it would only hold 75gal (slight tilt to that side).

I previously had gone 750miles consistently and it would hold 82gal max with the low fuel on soild (over the same route even). So for some reason, the last 15 gal doesnt seem to be usable anymore for me...
Old 07-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #11

Hmmm - when my hiccup happened it's like I had over 50 gals left. I'm approaching the 3/8 level now, so I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my secondary fuel filter that I just located after almost 2 years of hunting, and I changed.

Thanks for the reply Jimmy - dying at 60mph would be scary.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.