Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

Threw code 633, Cummings 8.3

Cummings 8.3 ISC 2004. 66,000 mi. No previous problem history. Eng Warning light came on so I bought a ScanGuage monitor and code reader which shows a single err code of 633.

All seems to be normal with the engine signs, symptoms and performance. I found a code definition of "remote throttle posistion sensor" online.

I would like some guidance on this situation plz.
Steve
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #2

There is a throttle position sensor underneath the accelerator. Voltage testing is not hard. The actual test readings are less important than a slow and steady rise and fall in readings. Closed throttle should be less than 1 volt and should steadily rise as pedal is depressed to around 5VDC, the return to idle position should also be slow and steady, any jumping and the TPS is suspect, if you are steady with the pedal movement.
https://themotorguy.com/symptoms-of-...sition-sensor/
This, although for automobiles, will give you a idea of the procedure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

Ray,In gave me a link for a description and a list of symptoms for a throttle position sensor malfunction. I don't have any of the symptons, only a caution light and code 633. I wonder if I have the correct problem identified. I plan on doing the basic testing on the switch in a day or 2.

Other than the err light, everything is running smooth.

If need be, does anyone recommend a shop capable of this work around San Diego?
Old 09-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Scangauge shows the TPS 0-100%
Old 09-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
My Scangauge shows the TPS 0-100%
I don't understand. I am new to my scanguage. Please expand what you are getting off your scanguage. Thx
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:30 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Not clear from your original post if you bought a ScanGauge D only to read the ECM codes or bought an additional cummins compatible code reader also. If you are only reading codes with the ScanGauge D you need to understand it does not show Cummins error codes. IIRC it displays "ID" plus a number that is a J1939 std SPN (Suspect Parameter Number) code. If you want that translated to a Cummins specific code you can log into the QuickServe site and find a tool to translate it.

One of the ECM parameters that ScanGauge D displays is "TPS". The manual explains that this is the throttle position sensor output.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #7

Sigh...it’s CUMMINS not CUMMINGS.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #8

Update. I was able to convert the ScanGuage D code reader to a Cummins code of 2184. That says "Electronic fuel engine control valve circuit" "Cause unkown".
I will try to figure out where that control valve and wiring is so I can check for loose connectors or other obvious problem.
I made an appointment 2 weeks away for a code read diagnoses at Cummins El Cajon. $50 plug in fee and 2 hours shop fee at $140 an hour. $330 to read the code.

Any ideas on the cause of the problem?
Old 09-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Hmmm... 2 hours labor for a code reading... Have you contacted other truck repair places in San Diego area, like Dion Int''l Truck? A few diesel shops in Escndido, too. Good luck!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
The ScanGauge D displays more than an error code. It also displays a count of how many times the error was logged and a failure mode ID. If the error count is only 1 it may be an phantom that won't repeat for the Cummins tech and difficult to diagnose. i don't recall all the failure modes but they are things like data out of range or too low or missing or nonsense. IIWM and only had a single count of a yellow check engine code I maybe hold off on paying the tech to hunt for something that can't be found and continue to drive it while watching for further codes. You certainly should get in there and look around for anything visual but as long as the engine is running good and not a red check engine light I don't think you would hurt anything.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #11

I've been tied up with something else but will try to get under the motor to try to do a visual for anything suspect including connectors. If needed, I can remove the bed platform to get a visual.

I will try to get some other shop with the adequate software to dianose it at a lower price. I want to use a shop with the proper ability. Maybe Cummins is the best bet.

Thank you for the help so far!