Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #1

Throttle Cable

Has anyone ever been able to successfully lubricate a throttle cable on a diesel pusher without taking the whole cable out? I know it's a long shot, but I thought maybe there's a trick out there somewhere to do this. The pedal on our motorhome is a little stiff, and doesn't seem to want to return all the way. This causes issues with the tranny when it's downshifting. I've cleaned all the linkage at the fuel pump on the engine, and it seems free. Any ideas?

cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Piker

Are you sure you have a "cable" from your peddle to your injection pump. It has been many years since cables have been used. Check your peddle and you might find that it is electronic, if not good luck removing the LONG DP cable.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrvers View Post
Piker

Are you sure you have a "cable" from your peddle to your injection pump. It has been many years since cables have been used. Check your peddle and you might find that it is electronic, if not good luck removing the LONG DP cable.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
Well, it's been many years since this motorhome was new. It is for sure a cable.

I was going to put a small hose on one end of the cable with a hose clamp and fill it full of lube and then apply some air pressure, but there appears to be little rubber seals on both ends to keep dirt out... my guess is air pressure would probably not be great for those little rubber seals.

In all actuality, the cable might not feel too stiff for as long as it is. Not sure though, as I've never had a throttle cable this long to know. Today, I turned my attention on the throttle return springs... I lengthened the distance between the points where they attach so the springs have to stretch a longer distance, and now the pedal snaps back to idle much better than before. It's still a little stiff but as long as it always goes back to idle I'm content.

cheers
Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Try a motorcycle shop. Ask for a kit to lubricate a clutch cable. The kits come with a small fitting that slides over the outer cable and seals so that the spray lube goes down the inside around the cable. It's worth a try.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Lubricating a long cable like that might work for a while, but the grease will harden and lock it up tight again. Most cables are sliding in a teflon tube, not meant to be greased. I suggest you ask an expert about this, you don't want to be driving and have the pedal stick or have it lock up on a trip.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Not trying to start a p___ing contest. But the kit I suggested is intended for motorcycle, boat, atv, and snowmobiles. According to the can, it displaces moisture and drys to a dry film.

I have no financial interest in this product, but I use it. Protect All - Cable Care Kit. Let the OP decide if it's what he was looking for.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input everyone... For now, tightening up the throttle return springs seems to have done the trick. These don't look to be the stock springs, so I'm guessing someone at some point just guessed and got some springs that were close. They were definitely not providing enough return tension. I think we're good to go now.

cheers
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Piker
We're glad you found your problem and are good to go. Some of my old big trucks had manual cables and I'm with you and wouldn't want one that didn't return easily.
Happy trails.
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote