RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

Throttle hard to accelerate...sometimes.

I have a 1994 Allegro Bus with the 230 hp, 12 valve cummins. Driving down the freeway I wanted to accelerate slightly and noticed I was pressing rather hard on accelerator and it would not go down. I let up on it and then pressed again and it traveled easy until I hit the "hard spot." I muscled past the hard spot feeling the pedal suddenly "give" and then it was easy throughout the travel (back to normal). This happened about 3-4 times on the short freeway trip. I don't know if it is an injection pump problem or a cable problem. Has anyone heard of this before I start looking? Thanks.

Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think you probably have a throttle by wire. Don't think there is a cable.

stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I am going to say in 1994 your Coach was pre-electronic, and you do have a throttle cable. With the year and binding problems, a new cable would be the best route to go.
Unless you can find someone that has a "Cable luber" to pressure inject a cable lube down the cable to try and free it up.
Here is a thread to read about this: Throttle Cable
Old 01-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

If it's a cable, look near the hot parts of the exhaust where the cable pass's by.

I'v seen the coating melted off and then rust takes care of the rest.

Be carefull the pedal don't stick to the floor.

If it does you may need to switch off the key. Then you loose the power steering.

If it was a winding road, I would put in neutral, diesels don't rev over the governor speed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
mff

hard throttle

Had this happen, latter on the road, had no acceleration at all- upon going under the engine in the middle of a busy intersection :>)- found the bolt that hooks up the cable to the throttle arm was missing
Replaced -fine now
mff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #6

If anyone is interested, I found that the throttle lever on the injection pump (the one the throttle cable connects to) was loose on the shaft. Because it was wollering around it damaged the splines on both the shaft and the lever. I tightened it up for now and pedal feels great. I may see about replacing the lever and shaft as I'd hate for it to completely strip out and loose throttle control. Does anyone know if the throttle shaft can be replaced without removing the entire injection pump? Thanks.

Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote