Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #15

Made an appointment at a Freightliner Oasis Service Center to have the engine cooling system drained, flushed and refilled. Having read all the posts regarding the problem of the Freightliner cooling system sensors being damaged by non-SCA coolant, mentioned the label on the radiator stating "Use only Fully Formulated (w/SCA) Purple HD Conventional Coolant" and asked if that would be used. Was told that the service facility was a Freightliner Service Center and only used Freightliner Factory approved parts. After completion of the work reviewed the detailed invoice stating that Fleetguard CC36077 ES Compleat EG OAT coolant had been used. Researched this coolant and noted that it is an OAT coolant and not an SCA coolant. Became concerned that it would damage the sensors installed by Freightliner and cause an engine shutdown. Called the Freightliner Customer Assistance Center 1-800-385-4357 and related the concern. Was told that yes, the OAT coolant would damage the sensors and needed to be drained and replaced by SCA coolant. Called the Freightliner Oasis Service Manager and explained the problem. He said that he would research it and call me back. He did call me back and said that he had called his known contacts at the Freightliner Factory and had been told that the engine coolant needed to meet ASTM standard D6210 in order to meet all Freightliner requirements and that Fleetguard CC36077 ES Compleat EG OAT coolant did meet this standard. I was relieved but was somewhat bewildered by receiving such opposing positions so I called the Freightliner Customer Assistance Center back. It was clear that the Oasis Service Manager had called them. I was told that all of the Customer Assistance representatives had gotten together for a group meeting following the call from the Oasis Service Manager, discussed the issue and determined that Fleetguard CC36077 ES Compleat EG OAT coolant would not cause damage to the sensors installed in the cooling system. So after being told twice that it was okay and only once that it wasn't I felt more relieved.

2012 Itasca Meridian 34Y with Cummins ISB, 2012 Honda CRV toad, Blue Ox baseplates and tow bar, M&G Engineering braking system, Toad Charge, Roadmaster tow defender
market is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the Fleetguard OAT coolant in my Country Coach, installed in May 2015 when the engine was rebuilt. I am now getting low coolant warnings. I have a new sensor to install.
No idea if the OAT coolant has damaged the sensor or it's just old age on the sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_211520.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	228995  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bite where do you get test strips?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #18

Freightliner or other automotive shops as well as Amazon and eBay, you need to match the strip to your current antifreeze to be sure you are testing for the correct analytes

Most of them are Nitrite or Molybdate and perhaps both, and of course glycol. Some check alkalinity or pH which is the same, just different ways of determining a value
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #19

Do any of you have an idea what the coolant capacity is for a side radiator with an ISL? We have a 2 year old radiator but i want to get ahead on this one. Thanks, barryb.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
You would get better info on the Country Coach forum because it has more to do with the radiator than the engine. FYI, mine is 14 gallons.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #21

You might have a higher capacity radiator however it will be close to the original. You will want to have a spare jug on hand anyway.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Ok, so with my C7 I don't have to obsess over this issue. I can find enough others, like HEUI pump.
Do a search for diesel cavitation. No reason to obsess though, it's ordinary maintenance.
Cavitation occurs in any diesel engine,especially during a hard pull, without the correct % of SCA in the coolant. Too much is just as harmful as too little, thus the test strips design.

The difference between a parent-block and a block with cylinder liners is the cost of repair. A parent block must be replaced-no liner,the block cylinder gets worn/eaten-through; only wet liners are replaced in engines that use them.
Most larger wet-sleeve diesels use a coolant filter, these may be purchased with or without a built-in SCA delayed-release additive.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #23

I ordered a sample kit today so I can get the antifreeze analyzed before flushing and refilling. The fluid looks new. I don’t think any further damage will happen if I just wait and get it checked. Kind of scary, though. Will be watching this close in the future.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #24

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si..._TB03-05-2.pdf

Great overview of the various SCA products from Cummins Fleetguard
Old 01-04-2019, 05:24 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At 33k miles and 4 years I finally found the correct test strips for my 14 ISL. My SCA was low. 1.1 should be 1.5 min. Ordered the DCA5 additive. $50. But cheaper than a new engine.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We bought a used ISL 425hp...

how do you know what coolant you have in your engine ?

Guess the best thing for us to do is swap out the coolant ---

to OAT ?

will need to see where I can get it done here in dfw area

thanks
Old 01-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We bought used... how do you know what coolant you have in your engine ?
Use test strip that test for SCA's. You will either see Nitrite or Molybdate. If neither one then you need to dig further to see if you have OAT or are in bad need of SCA's.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Use test strip that test for SCA's. You will either see Nitrite or Molybdate. If neither one then you need to dig further to see if you have OAT or are in bad need of SCA's.

Thanks !
Just called Cummins Southern Plains for a flush and fill and he guessed it would be about $1200 - $1500 dollars ....

Speedco just said $109 per hour and couldn't tell me how long, maybe 6 hours.... plus coolant, etc...

Anyone want to make some money here in Fort Worth, Tx ?!?