Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

TS Power Play Tuner for Cummins ISL 370hp CAPS

I am considering the purchase of a TS Power Play Tuner for my 2001 Monaco Dynasty. Wondering if anyone has experience with this or a similar setup.

TS Performance Power Play MP8 for 1998-2005 Cummins 8.3L / 8.9L CAPS RV's & Medium Duty Trucks 2110301 - Parleys Diesel Performance

Also replacing the stock muffler with an Aero Exhaust Resonated Turbine XL Series Muffler.
Pushinacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

Some past threads on MP-8 in regards to ISL CAPS era engines. I started one or two myself!

We just had the ISL370 reflashed by Cummins to the ISL400. Our first trip out since doing this. But you will find in my thread about that (Typed, well tried to type, that long winded post on a droid, while the wife was driving - missed some letters along the way!)

We leave the Prescott, AZ area on 11/5, heading North on I17 towards Flagstaff. Some good long climbs on that run, so it will be another way for me to see if those 30HP are enough for me!

If I do the MP-8, I would also budget two other upgrades at the same time:
-EGT Gauge in dash, with tapping of the required to install the sensor
-FASS fuel pump, to support the lift and injector pumps

And, I always use Optilube in every tank, for added lubrication for the injector pumps designed to run on non ULSD.

And I will get the Cockpit Control for the MP-8. I believe I would run it off (zero) 95% + of the time. And experiment with it when first in to see what level I would go to when I want more. From talking with people and reading other MP-8 posts on many forums, I think that would probably be a max of half way up the available increase. But then monitor EGT and back off as needed.

Brazil's was the first place I found that was using the ISC CAPS era MP-8 on the ISL. John was great to talk to about it, and I'd probably add the MP-8 on a visit North to is region, if I end up adding it.

Best to you on your research, and if you go with it - please share your thoughts on how it helps the ISL370 CAPS!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I'd be interested in your experience as well. Also curious about the muffler. Is it loud? I make enough racket already but would like more flow.
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #4

I have the Aero Turbine 5050XL. It is a bit louder then the stock muffler. I do not notice any sound difference when running down the highway. But in tunnels, or say on on ramps with a retaining wall on the side that muffler is on - you get a nice resonance sound.

I think Country Coach had a pretty good stock muffler on the rig to start with, so while I'm sure it breaths a bit easier out the back - it was not a large gain.

I know others with different coaches that went from 4" plumbing to 5" with the Aero Turbines, and they did notice a bit in the seat of the pants.

Have never talked with anyone that claimed more MPG!

If you need a muffler, these are good ones - especially when caught on sale from time to time.

That's how it flows for me!
Best,
Smitty
Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #5

Smitty -

Thanks for the input. If you can direct me to the other threads on the MP-8, I would be very grateful. I have already purchased a dash mounted EGT and am planning to get the cabin mounted control. Curious what Cummins charged you to flash the ECM to 400hp. Guessing that your powerplant was already out of warrenty. Glad to hear that you like the Aero Muffler. I'll keep y'all informed as to the progress and results. Thanks again.
Pushinacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #6

When you first come into the Cummins Forum, look below the top of the screen where it shows the page numbers for "Search This Forum". Then enter MP-8. It will bring up any posts with 'MP-8' in the thread!

Here is a recent post on Increasing Power...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/addi...ne-222919.html

They archived some of the earlier posts related to MP-8 and ISL's. But if you google with 'Cummins ISL + MP-8' you will find other posts here, and also on other forums.

Very little info on the ISL, or 8.9 or 9 Litre Cummins, especially in the CAPS era. As until recently, the only MP-8 products were for the ISC, or the VGT era ISL's.

As mentioned, now TST with MP-8 are saying the ISC like product will usually work on the ISL CAPS era engine.

Brazil's commented that on some coaches they've needed to play with the pin sequence in the harness, to make things match up. Suspect that info was shared with TST, and the MP-8's now marketed for ISL CAPS of our era, are properly pinned as they are sent out. (All opinion, not fact!).

And the costs to bump to 400 trim by Cummins Cal Pacific was about between $400-500. (I had other things done, and was given both the Cummins Club discount, and another discount due to all of the other work.) But, if you are going to hang onto your coach for say at least four years, that comes out to $100 per year... And, the MP-8 works with the ECM as flashed, to 'trick' it into feeding more fuel. The flash to 400, and the change to Torque/HP power curves are proportional with what the MP-8 does. (Again, opinion, not a for sure fact.)

Good hunting for more safe power for you!
Smitty

Tags
cummins, power