Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to tony326
TST Power Kit #6 plate 125hp increase 96 8.3

i want to increase hp, this kit was suggested any feedback, i need to add boost and exhaust temp gage where do you get a 33ft temp cable from engine to the dash, do they made a temp warning light kit.
tony326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony326 View Post
i want to increase hp, this kit was suggested any feedback, i need to add boost and exhaust temp gage where do you get a 33ft temp cable from engine to the dash, do they made a temp warning light kit.
Buy a electric EGT gauge. You need some one who has experience tuning the AFC to get the most out of a fuel plate.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Do a search for RV performance. parleysdieselperformance.com

Happy Motoring
Don & Susan
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

I bought these electronic gages HERE.

They have relays in them that can be used for different things. I use them to sound an alarm/buzzer should boost exceed 30psi or EGT exceed 1250.

They also have thermocouples with extra long leads to go from the back of the RV to the dash. I've had good luck with these gages.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #5

I know you'll wonder why I have a video of this... but these are the gages as I installed them in the dash of our rig. Sorry for the poor quality. Top one is of course EGT, lower one is Boost.

There is also a bright light on each one that comes on when you hit your preset limit. When the light comes on, the relay closes... in my case it turns on a buzzer. Helps me keep my eyes on the road when pulling long mountain grades, etc., as my EGT will creep up beyond where I'd like on a long hard pull, especially at lower rpm.

-cheers

Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #6

thanks i will order one
tony326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #7

Unless you also modify the air intake and exhaust to handle the increased temperature and air flow, you will never realize the full potential of the HP increase "kit".
Your engine will quickly exceed the EGT upper limit (1,350 deg. F is the temperature at which OEM valves begin to soften) and ruin the valves during a hard pull without those mods.
Another factor is your automatic transmission torque limit, most are matched to engine maximum torque output. There is a link in the Allison transmission forum to torque limits for all Allison transmissions used in MH's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

I forgot to make a hot link to Allison Transmission specs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 02-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #9

are you talking about larger dia. exhaust, intake, difference muffler and air filter is there a kit for that.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony326 View Post
are you talking about larger dia. exhaust, intake, difference muffler and air filter is there a kit for that.
Yes; the exhaust size must be increased from the turbo outlet to the exhaust pipe tip in order to be the most effective.
You can buy the OEM air filter in a larger size to permit increased air flow/CFM, you may need to modify some things to accommodate the larger size though.
Have you checked out your transmission torque limits yet? You may need some modifications to handle the increased HP and torque.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Yes; the exhaust size must be increased from the turbo outlet to the exhaust pipe tip in order to be the most effective.
You can buy the OEM air filter in a larger size to permit increased air flow/CFM, you may need to modify some things to accommodate the larger size though.
Have you checked out your transmission torque limits yet? You may need some modifications to handle the increased HP and torque.
That was exactly why I went with the Banks kit on our '02 DSDP with ISC 350. Everything was programmed to work together and it did!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Another factor is your automatic transmission torque limit, most are matched to engine maximum torque output.
This. Seriously boosting your HP output MAY nuke your tranny depending on what's installed.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:44 AM   #13

The tranny is an MD3060, I believe it will handle the 1050lb-ft that the 8.3 will put out with the banks kit. If memory serves, the rv version is good to 1250lb-ft... But don't quote me on that. There are some applications that were rated for 850 and 950. That still would not prevent me from making the upgrade... Though it would cause me to drive a little more cautiously.

The exhaust will be the most important upgrade for both performance and engine health when you start tinkering with fuel and boost. You have to keep egt down, and a free flowing exhaust makes all the difference. Egt gage a MUST. There are intake upgrades you can buy, but on a turbo charged diesel engine, the hp gains are minimal. You won't find many people porting and polishing cylinder heads on turbo diesels. There is benefit, however, to anything that can cool the intake air more... Cooler air in means cooler air out.

Good luck.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #14

I know this is an older thread. I would like to know if the OP did the modifications?
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power