RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

Turbo inlet size

Suspect that the turbo inlet size is pretty standard across the engine line up. I have an ISM and I'm starting to think about reconfiguring my intake plumbing to shorten it and to get rid of the throwaway housing Farr Ecolite. Can anyone give me the turbo inlet pipe size?

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #2

Best to call Cummmins and ask as there are 4 ISM engines. Have the engine Serial # in hand and they can help.

Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

On our 500HP ISM in an 04 Essex the inlet size is 4 inches. It starts with 7 inches then 5 inches out of air filter and then finally 4 inches into turbo. With Spartan chassis and the sizing down from 5 to 7 and 3 90 degree bends plus the Farr filter the air filter restriction gauge would read 20 with a new filter. Built a inlet scope and changde to AFE HD air filter and now reads 5 with new filter and picked up 3 psi of turbo boost and around 2 to mph on 6% plus grades at 51K pounds. Did change 6 years ago and one of the better up grades.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

Tom,
Perhaps a photo of your mod??? Sounds very interesting. I'd like to get a little more "umph" from my ISM.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
Best to call Cummmins and ask as there are 4 ISM engines. Have the engine Serial # in hand and they can help.
Not sure about 4 ISMs. In motorhome service the M11 & M11 plus were used pre 2000. Then the first version ISM pre '04 EPA. Then the VG turbo version which was used up until '10 when in was discontinued in favor of the ISX12. I'm guessing the turbo inlet size was the same through these versions. It's not a big deal I was just going to spec out some part and pieces ahead of time and you are correct, a call to Cummins will confirm.

I'm going to shorten up the intake system and use 7" right up to the reducer at the turbo inlet. Get rid of one 90 degree elbow also.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #6

Haven't posted pictures yet but just fabricated out 1/8 aluminum a intake scoop that directs the air into the intake area and then chromed. Comes out 3 inches and is the length of the Newmar Essex air intake. Also have gone to a 5 inch straight through muffler. Am working right now with a water/methanol system from Snow Performance which is really adding performance on 6%plus grades out here on the west coast. On use it for those long 6% grades but have found well over 5 to 8 mph increase on those grades with the water/methanol system. At this time I am only using a 25% methanol mix but with a 50% I have piked up 10mph but to be on safe side am only using 25%. The tank volume is the issue at this time with almost 1 gallon per minute when in use. But I am finding that since only used on long steep grades working out OK. If you want to pull 6plus% grades at 58 to 60 mph in 5th gear it does work. Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

ISM is available in four different configurations, with slightly different emphasis on maximum power (450 horsepower (336 kW; 456 PS) vs. 500 horsepower (373 kW; 507 PS)) and peak torque
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...7mpJkGCEhibwJb

May take just a tad adjustment to the body, but you should be able splice one of these in as the air intake - should provide ample air to the Turbo.

(Yeah, kind of slow on the board today. Just wanted to stir things up!)

Best to all, and Steve - best of luck on your improved sucking of air effort!
Smitty
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...7mpJkGCEhibwJb May take just a tad adjustment to the body, but you should be able splice one of these in as the air intake - should provide ample air to the Turbo. (Yeah, kind of slow on the board today. Just wanted to stir things up!) Best to all, and Steve - best of luck on your improved sucking of air effort! Smitty
Got to have me one of those!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #10

How 'bout adding another turbo driven by exhaust out of the tail pipe? We have dual turbo street rods. Why not a dual turbo ISM? :}
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #11

This post has me thinking,,,, what if,,,

You know by now I am intrigued with "more power"

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #12

Put on another turbocharger Joe. You'll use twice the fuel, go broke twice as fast and be twice as happy.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Steve, your ISM, is it the pre VG turbo? Reason I ask, my origional setup was the ISM450, and I asked Cummins what it would take to make it into the 500 hp version. Well after about 2 ful days of running down numbers, options CPL info etc, they came up with the waste gated turbo, the waste gate controller and reflash the ECM, now have the full 500 @ 1550 ftlb.
What a huge difference along with the Walker resonator.

The turbo #3800856NX, Waste gate controller #4001726 Intake Manifold 3406755
ECM Flash program ETN L21463.07
CPL #2614
Reason for new intake, to make sure the hole to sense the boost was in the exact position, could have drilled it, but not certain exactly where.

Do not think they would have spent so much time on my project, but maybe because my company averages >$30,000 a month with them.
Total cost out the door $3,245.00 parts & labor. Would do it again.

FWIW, Good luck
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
Steve, your ISM, is it the pre VG turbo? Reason I ask, my origional setup was the ISM450, and I asked Cummins what it would take to make it into the 500 hp version. Well after about 2 ful days of running down numbers, options CPL info etc, they came up with the waste gated turbo, the waste gate controller and reflash the ECM, now have the full 500 @ 1550 ftlb. What a huge difference along with the Walker resonator. The turbo #3800856NX, Waste gate controller #4001726 Intake Manifold 3406755 ECM Flash program ETN L21463.07 CPL #2614 Reason for new intake, to make sure the hole to sense the boost was in the exact position, could have drilled it, but not certain exactly where. Do not think they would have spent so much time on my project, but maybe because my company averages >$30,000 a month with them. Total cost out the door $3,245.00 parts & labor. Would do it again. FWIW, Good luck Dave M
Hey Dave,

Yes, mine is pre VG turbo. Cummins calls it a variable waste gate turbo. It has the CM570 fuel system. This engine was one of the last engines built before the changes due to the '04 EPA emissions requirements. Major change incorporating the VGT, fuel system with EGR and no more open crankcase vent. My engine was built in Sept '02 and they started to new version in Oct.