Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #1

Up grading air filter

We have a 98 newmar 40'MADP on a Spartan MM with a cummins Isc 325hp. Currently it has a Donaldson 537447 air filter and I would like some of your thoughts on other options like K&N,AMSOIL and others. I like being able to replace the filter only and not the whole thing but I am probly missing something. Thanks for your help.
boatman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I would not call either one an "upgrade".
I'd stick with the Donaldson or Fleetguard. K&N, for example,
claims higher air flow, but the unmentioned secret is that it
does not filter as well. I've seen test results showing K&N is
only 96-98% as effective. I know nothing about Amsoil filters,
and have never heard of anyone using them.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'd stick with the original paper filter and change it every three years. That's not a whole lot of effort, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is what the manufacturer designed.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I'd stick with the original paper filter and change it every three years. That's not a whole lot of effort, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is what the manufacturer designed.
Great minds think alike.

Neither of the OP's options would be considered an upgrade. Downgrade if anything.

https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engi.../cleaners.html
Old 02-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
The standard filtering for a diesel is 99% out of the box and new. Neither of the filters you mentioned meet that requirement. You run the risk of dusting the engine and that
will for sure set your bank account on fire.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #6

I agree with what has been mentioned above. I tried running K&N on my light trucks and went back to original paper filters. I would not dream of running one on my motorhome. What the manufacturer specs is what goes on there.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #7

This issue seems to come up a number of times each year. We have a 04 Essex with a 500 ISM and have used a AFE air filter much like a K&N over 10 years ago and over 120K miles and I am glad I did. I taught Auto Tech for 14 years and one of my students is in charge of the school district bus barn with over 100 school buses who when 1st filter replacement he put K&N filter on and has for over 20 years. If using a paper filter when they get wet the glue covers apart and filter goes into turbo. If running a paper filter Cummins recommends replacement at least ever 2 years. There was a 2 psi turbo boost increase with AFE air filter. Make your own choice t there is a lot of negative stories out there on air filter. Have them on all cars and trucks too.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Even on gas engines I have some concerns about oiled filter elements. They still allow sand and dust to get in after the oil begins to evaporate. I have had a oil element on a turbo BMW for 115K miles and while it did add performance (the motor is not stock), it probably causes the oil to get dirty faster. Not worth the pay off on a low RPM motor like a diesel and maybe not even a low RPM gas pulling motor.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #9

When I upgraded my Donaldson, I went with the Donaldson Blue plus Free Shipping (Donaldson DN-EAF5069)
Aftermarket Truck Parts
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #10

I realize these test results are for pickups, but the results should tell you something:
Aftermarket Air Intakes/Filters - Do They Work? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Ditto. The damage that can be done by poor or incorrect filtering is huge vs. little to no performance or financial gain. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
It would be interesting to know what the filter minder gauge indicates on a new filter in Mr Boatman's unit. Without knowing what the vacuum on a hard pull is there is no way to determin if in fact there is a problem or not.
As to increases in mileage and or performance there are many factors involved and seldom one single factor is the answer.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
The P537447 is a canister type of filter and the element can not be changed the whole thing is replaced with a new filter. It has just under 1000 CFM rating which is more than your engine will need even at full RPM.