Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
UPDATE: ISX 650 dropped a valve for the second time

Cummins decide to participate in the repair costs to the tune of about $10,000 out of the $29,000 estimate.
Not the best outcome but better than nothing I guess.
Didn't get the oil test results till after the engine blew even though the dealer had it before we signed the contract, had I had the test results in hand we would have walked away from this one or at least I would have negotiated down on the price of the rig!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear of the issues but like you said, Cummins stepping up with $10k is better than $0.00.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, but having to come up with another $19,000 after 1 month (or less) of taking the keys, would be hard to stomach !!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #4

Continuing to hope for a better outcome for you.. but something is always better than nothing..

Good luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yes, but having to come up with another $19,000 after 1 month (or less) of taking the keys, would be hard to stomach !!
Very true. I would be having a hard time stomaching that myself.

Mike.

On edit, it would be hard to stomach even after years of ownership, let alone a month.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

If the dealer withheld the oil test results, and you were the one that requested the tests in the first place, wouldn't you have grounds to talk to a lawyer and invalidate the sale?
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
As noted by others, 10k is still better than 0k.

Are you still going with just the repair or a full replacement?

Good luck and I hope you get it back soon. It's still a very nice coach once the mechanicals are back in working condition.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Reman was never offered nor did I ask about it. Shot them another email and asked about it.
Want to be VERY sure that what ever they do includes the new, updated parts that supposedly fix this problem for good. Would hate to have it happen again anytime in the future!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cummins decide to participate in the repair costs to the tune of about $10,000 out of the $29,000 estimate.
Not the best outcome but better than nothing I guess.
Didn't get the oil test results till after the engine blew even though the dealer had it before we signed the contract, had I had the test results in hand we would have walked away from this one or at least I would have negotiated down on the price of the rig!
What did the test results show? Why did the dealer "hold back" on the results? If this was/is the case..........they had the results in their possession, and withheld them(Results) from you till after you signed........ I am thinking my Attorney would be looking into the balance that Cummins did not pay, A form of fraud, I believe
As far as Cummins goes here, With the failure records on this engine, they had ought to be ashamed of themselves!
This engine has a history of failure, as big as they are, world wide, biggest in the industry, they have ought to repair "Their" failure's till they get it right, not like this is the first time around! Sure, some is better than none, but I am not impressed with Cummins at this point with this engine and its history record! I don't know if I could feel good heading out with it? When will/is it going to happen next? I hope never for you!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #10

If Premier RV, the dealer held back the oil results just to get the papers signed and make a profit, that is bad business. I bet they found out the history of this motor before hand and wanted to get it off there lot. Stuff like this can put a bad taste in persons mouth when looking for an RV and a good dealer.
You have all the proof they may have known it was a troubled motor. $10k is better than nothing but still.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Reman was never offered nor did I ask about it. Shot them another email and asked about it.
Want to be VERY sure that what ever they do includes the new, updated parts that supposedly fix this problem for good. Would hate to have it happen again anytime in the future!
For sure on fixing it once and for all...

Curious on your warranty for the fix as well. If it's 5yr/100k that would at least give you the opportunity to get some memories on that vehicle without too much worry, other than down time if it ever happened again, sure hope not!!!

There's a very nice CC at the campground where my RV is at and every time I go by it, I can't stop staring Those are really beautiful coaches...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #12

I'm also curious as to what the oil tests indicated. Could they have predicted an early catastrophic issue with the engine or is this the type of damagethat happens suddenly without any sign. It sounds as though the problem was caused by a specific part with a defect. From the thread it seems that issues with this engine are fairly well know.

Good that you're at least getting the $ 10K. After spending the money to buy an expensive new coach having to deal with this so soon must be sickening
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Mr D, I read your report on the other thread. We used Cat for oil analysis for nearly 20 years. I don't remember more than a handful of reports that stated "Repair effected area, change oil, and continue to monitor", usually just "change oil and continue to monitor". Those were usually on a final drive or planetary pump drive. I would say that this report was "noteworthy" to say the least. If you have proof that they had this in their possession and withheld it from you, it would be reprehensible.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We're going to get it fixed ASAP, should start on it Thursday. As to the oil sample and timeline I'll worry about that when I do some more checking on the timing and info I was given as well as the contract. Don't want to start a firestorm on the Internet at the present time!