Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

VGT turbo problems

I have a 2006 coachmen class A with a 5.9L cummins engine. I have 24,000 miles on it in 10 years and had to replace the turbo once at 13,500 miles and now it has failed again at 24,000 miles. Does anyone know of an updated turbo for the 5.9L cummins. From what I have read on line this turbo is junk. I own a trucking company and we get tons of miles from our turbos. Any input is welcome.
Thanks
Billy-Bob63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

How have the turbos failed? A broken vane could be unfiltered air getting in. If the bearing is failing, then is the engine being shut down with no cool down period? If everything is heated up and then shut down, the oil in the turbo can boil or carbonize and block oil flow at next start up. Most modern turbochargers are hard to break unless one of the above conditions are present.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #3

Sorry maybe should be more specific. I'm told the either the turbo is sticking or the electronic actuator is bad..I have codes 2387,2383,9122,2388. The motorhome runs runs fine has plenty of power no heat good oil presure. This is the second failure with the same symtoms. Trying to find out if this is calmin with these turbos. First failure at 13,000 and now 25,000 the rig is a 2006.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #4

Hi Everyone,
Well in checking around and a lot of phone calls I'm thinking about maybe trying a retrofit for this turbo. Talked to ATS they say they have a turbo that will work that is not electronic. My question now is ..will I get check engine lights if the electric mod. is disconnected. If so does anyone know a way around this.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #5

This may sound strange but I was getting codes indicating turbo actuator out of calibration etc.....I would have to start and stop engine all the time for years. Coach derated a few times until I learned to start and stop engine.

I decided to look into a ECM software update, had version 4, new version was 41. The Cummins tech said that the original 2007 software did not have enough variance and set off codes all the time.

So $156.00 later and the coded have been gone for over a year.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a VGT on my ISB-6.7 and it failed at 60K miles. Mine was sticking - confirmed by Cummins testing - and it was one month before the 5 year Cummins Warranty was set to expire. I use a ScanGauge-D and got the code - there was never a code recorded in the LBCU. Realized that the ScanGauge detects codes long before they become critical and get recorded in the dash unit so having it saved me $3K plus. Had a similar experience earlier when the EGR was failing. Can't really help you with the options going forward. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2008 6.7L Cummins with a VGT turbo and mine failed about 2 years ago. On my unit, the VGT turbo is also the exhaust brake. This is accomplished by closing the vanes in the turbo. When the turbo calibration was out, the check engine light came on and the exhaust brake quit functioning. I didn't need a new turbo. My failure was due to excessive soot so the unit had to be cleaned and a new electronic actuator installed. So far so good, the repair has worked fine. My engine has an EGR valve and my mechanic suggested to avoid future turbo troubles was to avoid excessive idling and to drive in a manner that would make the turbo vanes move often. In other words, use the exhaust brake most of the time and don't be afraid to use the accelerator. Since my engine has the EGR valve and yours should not, maybe little or none of this applies to your unit but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

--- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #8

Wasn't aware that a 2006 5.9L CTD in a Class A had a VGT turbo ???

What make were they?

What was failure(s)?

VGT.....2006
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the information but the guys referring to the 6.7L I'm not sure how different it is from the 5.9L. The CEL seems to come and go off while driving. The last time I had to replace the turbo it stuck wide open. This time it seems different. I,m having the electronic accuator checked on Monday and going to try and re-calibrate it. I'll go from there.
Old-Biscuit...The turbo is a Cummins Holst. Part #4089946rx. It's a 5.9L ISB.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #10

Don't know how similar your 2005 ISB is to my 2003 ISB, but I had an intermittent CEL on mine. Would come on right after start up and then when accelerating from a stop or pulling hills. CEL would always go out when engine not under load and the engine never de-rated. It never threw a code my scan gage would pick up. Had taken it to my local Cummins service center twice and they never found a code. Finally, was taking MH in for annual service as I was pulling into service center CEL came on. I didn't shut the motor off and went and got service mgr. He had tech come out and check it. Gave a code for the turbo speed sensor. The sensor was replaced and turbo checked for damage. None found, no more CEL. Hope this helps.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #11

Thanks Bubba1 for your input. I don't really think it's the turbo speed sensor. Hey everyone here are the specific codes I got off the ECM.
Code 2387-VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor)- Mechanical system not responding or out of adjustment.
Code 2383-VGT Actuator Driver Circuit-Current below normal or open circuit...
Code 2388-VGT Actuator Position Failed Automatic Calibration Procedure-Out of Calibration.
Also when I first turn the key to the on position the ECM Buzzes for about 2-4 Min. and then is quiet. Does anyone know if that is normal.
Thanks guys

Tags
ems, problems