RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #1

Walmart DEF

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	185861

According to the Cummins engine manual........approved DEF fluid must meet ISO 222411 standard.

I could not find this on the Walmart jug but sitting right next to it for $4 more .......the Peak brand made reference to it.

I have read on the forum where many people are using the Walmart fluid but Im a little leery of using it in a brand new Cummins engine.

Comments???

mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The Walmart brand meets the API standards for DEF....same ingredients as the Peak Blue.
67.5% Water (7732-18-5), 32.5% Urea (57-13-6)

Old 12-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

Yes...I saw the API label on the jug but no reference to the ISO or DIN standards.

You would think that if it met those standards they would print it on the jug.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
As of a month ago Walmart DEF has the iso label on the front of the jug, I have been running it for 9000 miles without issues.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #5

The quality and purity of water and UREA (pharmaceutical versus agricultural grade), as well as handling, storage and transportation, used in the DEF is what the ISO standard provides. API certified means the manufacturer volunteers to meet quality standards and pays API to give them their stamp, API | Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). There is a reason Walmart is cheaper. I don't want to risk, my expensive to repair, emissions system to save a few pennies. There are lots of ways in processing, handling, storing and dispensing of DEF that can cause it to be contaminated. Go with Peak or manufacturer who does comply with the ISO22241 standard and can legally identify it on their containers.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
The quality and purity of water and UREA (pharmaceutical versus agricultural grade), as well as handling, storage and transportation, used in the DEF is what the ISO standard provides. API certified means the manufacturer volunteers to meet quality standards and pays API to give them their stamp, API | Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). There is a reason Walmart is cheaper. I don't want to risk, my expensive to repair, emissions system to save a few pennies. There are lots of ways in processing, handling, storing and dispensing of DEF that can cause it to be contaminated. Go with Peak or manufacturer who does comply with the ISO22241 standard and can legally identify it on their containers.
I agree with you except there is nobody monitoring the process after ISO certification except the mfg that I am aware of.
The only thing I worry about WM def is the returned jugs with water in them. Check the seals.
Good luck
Pointrow
Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

I have used the Walmart brand for about 60,000 miles with no problem. I guess it is okay.
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Straight from the API website a cut and paste of a portion of the verbage regarding DEF and their API certification.

The API Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Certification Program is a voluntary program designed to certify and monitor the quality characteristics of diesel exhaust fluid intended for use in motor vehicles with diesel engines. Diesel exhaust fluid marketers that have demonstrated that their products satisfy the requirements of the most recent and applicable edition of ISO 22241, Diesel engines – NOx reduction agent AUS 32, may be licensed to display the API Diesel Exhaust Fluid Certification Mark.

I have been using it for over 35k with no codes and no issues myself. Why pay more for it than need be. I would rather use the jugs than the pumps myself. Ever seen what is inside a gasoline/diesel fuel storage tank at a fuel station, wouldn't expect the def tank to be any different as time goes by
Old 12-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #9

At a rally last February a Cummins engineer said it was exactly the same fluid. He uses it in his Cummins powered Tiffin coach. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me. I've ran it in my Duramax for 25,000+ miles with no problems. Luckily, my Cummins powered motorhome doesn't require it.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies....wont need any for a while since the new coach has an almost full tank.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I guess my question would be, where is the ISO label on the truck stop pumps...I haven't seen them, but I guess I'll look next time. I know of no one having an issue with the DEF in the blue jugs from Walmart.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wal-Mart sells a couple house branded DEF. The blue jugs in the store and online a translucent jug. I've bought and used both.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just went to Walmart.com no translucent jugs listed. But the Blue DEF has come down since Walmarts DEF is out.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
30K miles on Walmart DEF.

It's an order of magnitude cleaner than every fuel pump DEF I've looked at while fueling up.

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote