RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

Water temperatures too high

Ok so background:
Cummins 8.3l in 97 39ft class a
Just got back from beach and noticed on way down there the water temp would increase to 3/4 of a gauge 230+ when stopper at a stop light. Would immediately (within 1/4 mile of half throttle) be able to cool itself back down but could not maintain cool temp (around 200) with out the hydrostatic fan running... has 55000 miles but recently sat for 3 yrs.

Has coolant. But coolant does fill reseviour when running.
Changed the coolant filter
And coolant
Cleaned the radiator with 409 for debris
Engine oil is past full on dipstick.

Not sure... made a four hour trip from Huntington beach sc to Greensboro nd today 90 degrees. Was able to baby it through the stop light keeping it limited to 3 rd and creeping with rpm up for fan. Ran into some issue around last part where speed limit was 70 and that was 6th gear for me at about 68 mph and 1200 rpm. The temp got up to 225-230.

Any ideas....

Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm guessing you have a rear radiator?? Is radiator original? I'd think about replacing the thermostat. 230+ is way too hot.

windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #3

Yes it is side mounted rear radiator... I was looking at those thermostats. Does not look to challenging to replace them. Just have to get belt off, drop alternator, drain coolant, and then remove tensioner.

What makes me go hmmmm... is over the past 6 months or so I have let it idle and run for hours with no issues and just these past two trips have caused concern....
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #4

But you may be right as the thermostats are not opening up all the way when the engine gets warm. I was also thinking that I may have to much oil in the motor... I checked it and it was way past the full on the dip stick...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

Does anyone know where to get these?
Cummins 8.3l

I just called Cummins Atlantic of Greensboro parts dept but got a voicemail. Left engine serial and parts on message so hopefully they will get back to me today.. they probably only work till 12 or so today....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1495202611812.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	162302  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #6

So I went by and got two new thermostats as well as gasket but I am not sure that is it.

My thoughts are that the hyrastatic fan does not click on when the motor is at idle and warm above 210 degrees. The fan should been spinning even though it is rpm based as a fail safe for the motor correct....?
Old 05-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

So the motor is running at idle and when it gets hot it should have the fan click on to cool it correct? Mine is not and does not click on at all unless it is rpm baised....
Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #8

Any ideas?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsta View Post
Any ideas?
Did you follow the Spartan instructions for purging air from the coolant system? Seems I vaguely remember a purge bolt that must be removed to allow air to bleed from the system. I don't remember the location of this bolt.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
You stated that you thought you had too much oil in the motor. Voice of experience here,check your power steering reservoir. If it is low then possibly the pump that sends fluid to the fan is failing. Ours did exactly what you are describing and that was the issue. Ours failed at 58,000 miles.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did you follow the Spartan instructions for purging air from the coolant system? Seems I vaguely remember a purge bolt that must be removed to allow air to bleed from the system. I don't remember the location of this bolt.
I will go on the hunt for the purge bolt. I know where to look so I'll spend some time out there this morning. I sure do hope it is just a pocket of air....
Old 05-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #12

So I have recently replaced the pump that feeds the fan and the power steering because it failed and shot metal all through out the lines. So you may be on to something about low volume in the reseviour. I will check it as well here in a few minutes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
You stated that you thought you had too much oil in the motor. Voice of experience here,check your power steering reservoir. If it is low then possibly the pump that sends fluid to the fan is failing. Ours did exactly what you are describing and that was the issue. Ours failed at 58,000 miles.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #13

Here are my ideas:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsta View Post
Ok so background:
Cummins 8.3l in 97 39ft class a
Just got back from beach and noticed on way down there the water temp would increase to 3/4 of a gauge 230+ when stopper at a stop light. Would immediately (within 1/4 mile of half throttle) be able to cool itself back down but could not maintain cool temp (around 200) with out the hydrostatic fan running... has 55000 miles but recently sat for 3 yrs.The fan should run anytime it senses elevated engine temperatures. Maybe the fan controller is shot.

Has coolant. But coolant does fill reseviour when running. Are you saying the coolant level is low and if only fills the reservoir when running?
Changed the coolant filter
And coolant
Cleaned the radiator with 409 for debris Be very careful with 409 and aluminum surfaces.
Engine oil is past full on dipstick. Ok, this one is most troublesome for me. If the engine oil is past full on the dipstick are you saying there is too much oil? If so, is this suddenly a new observation? If this is something that just suddenly happened, get your oil analyzed before your next outing. If it has antifreeze/coolant in it ....well lets not go there because that is bad news with a capital B.

Not sure... made a four hour trip from Huntington beach sc to Greensboro nd today 90 degrees. Was able to baby it through the stop light keeping it limited to 3 rd and creeping with rpm up for fan. Ran into some issue around last part where speed limit was 70 and that was 6th gear for me at about 68 mph and 1200 rpm. The temp got up to 225-230.

Any ideas....
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #14

I am hoping it is just the fan controller but have no idea where to look as there is no mention in the book best I can tell.

The coolant in the reseviour shows with in the range and then when motor runs it does fill up to about an inch above the hot line.

And I rechecked the oil and it was about 1/4 inch past the full marker.

Am going back out there in a few to resume diagnostic to feed you all more info.

Tags
water