RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water Wetter

I thought that I`ve seen post on this before, but couldn`t find it after a search --

Have anyone used Water Wetter in a Diesel Engine ? I see that it now has a formula for diesel -- I live in the southwest, & normal temps in the summer is around 110 -- Leaving the Phoenix area in any direction, you will have long hard pulls -- My coach, with a Cummins 400 ISL, side radiator, reaches the 220 mark when pulling these grades -- Any other time, the temps are good -- I don`t try to out pull anyone, just take my time -- I`ve changed thermostats 3 times, new belts & hoses, & use Final Charge coolant -- If Water Wetter could bring down the temp a few degrees, that would be a big help -- Bill Willard

William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #2

Hiya,
I think you'll find that Waterwetter* has a very limited audience, of primarily circle track racers. This is only because they've been cautioned against running Ethylene glycol antifreeze on the track. In the event of an impact causing a spill, it's extremely slippery on the track. So they like the non-slippery properties of the WaterWetter* in addition to just plain water which doesn't provide a wetting agent and corrosion resistance.
I don't think any magical temperature reduction has ever been demonstrated.
It's long been known that Ethylene glycol antifreeze does not transfer heat as effectively as pure water, but with the extreme temperature conditions our vehicles incur and dis-similar metals, it's a necessary evil. 50/50 mixture is a one size fits all climates solution. I've seen substantial improvements in dyno / bench testing using a hygrometer and altering to a more idea mixtures. This assuming the cooling system is performing optimally.
You didn't really specify much about your chassis other than "Cummins 400 ISL". Many of those chassis' exhibit more pronounced overheating than you describe with a myriad of difficulties. Some as minor a selecting a lower gear to increase engine RPM to the 2K- 2.2K range.
The arrangement of the radiator(s) "sandwich" with AC condenser, and CAC can deter proper cleaning of those finned surfaces. Etc.etc. I'd suggest a search on Cummins 400 ISL overheating issues.
I'd leave it on the shelf, YMMV.

Happy motoring.

J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I used to use WW in my CJ7 with a 401. It did help but only a little. How much it would help in a DP, I don't know.

Is the 220 when your hydraulic fan engages and never goes any higher? If so, then I'm thinking the WW might not help. For example if your temp would normally climb to 250 with no fan and WW cooled it down to 240, it would still never reach that temp because of the fan. The WW would have no effect.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #4

We're running a Cummins 450 in the Bus and I regularly see 220 on the gauge. We've had it checked at Tiffin and everything is operating at spec. When I hit my 220, I see the fan kick in and the temps immediately start down. Even though I can't hear the fan, it's immediately obvious when the fan kicks in and when it drops out. I tried to manually control temps with the trans manual mode, and although I can help it a slight bit, it's not worth the problem.

Since you're in the Phoenix area, know that my experience on the haul up to Flagstaff is what my lower 48 experience based on. We also run to Alaska every 2 years and regularly see grades up to 11% there and in West Virginia. I just put it in drive, pedal on the floor on the big pulls and let it do it's thing. We never see any blowback on to the 6500# toad and although we watch it closely, we don't have problems with that approach.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

Water wetter is only effective with plain water.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I did not see where you gear down?
Being from the Az (AJ) area, with our CAT 3126E, gearing down and keeping it around 2200 to 2400 works well.
For your cummins I would think 2000 to 2200 would do the trick
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
I thought that I`ve seen post on this before, but couldn`t find it after a search --

Have anyone used Water Wetter in a Diesel Engine ? I see that it now has a formula for diesel -- I live in the southwest, & normal temps in the summer is around 110 -- Leaving the Phoenix area in any direction, you will have long hard pulls -- My coach, with a Cummins 400 ISL, side radiator, reaches the 220 mark when pulling these grades -- Any other time, the temps are good -- I don`t try to out pull anyone, just take my time -- I`ve changed thermostats 3 times, new belts & hoses, & use Final Charge coolant -- If Water Wetter could bring down the temp a few degrees, that would be a big help -- Bill Willard
Bill, when pulling a grade the engine RPM is dropping,yes? As engine RPM declines so does the water pump speed and circulation volume plus your hydraulic fan pump . that no doubt slows the fan RPM. . gearing down to raise engine RPM sounds too simple! But it is a recommended practice. the engine ECM will increase fuel delivery resulting in high torque rise keeping you chugging up the grade. Plus the ambient air temps of the Southwest make matters worse. Rear radiator coaches generally have an engine driven fan. I think that a temperature test of the hydraulic fan switch (valve is in order. perhaps there is a lower temp rating unit. the engine thermostat serves to maintain a minimum operating temperature. If your T-stat is marked 220, it will do its best to keep the temp there. try a 180 degree stat.

spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water