Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #15

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I would love to have a Diesel pusher for all the reasons listed above.
However, if I bought a DP, I couldn't afford to go anywhere in it. It would take all of the money I have for RVing to make the payments and the maintenance. We just returned from a 3 month trip in our gas rig.
We bought a used gas rig because that's what we could afford, would I like to have a DP, you bet I would.
I think the best rig for anyone is the one that they can use and enjoy, whether it's a tent trailer or a 45' DP.
That is why I have a fifth wheel and a diesel TV. If I financed a coach there would not be enough money to enjoy it with. As soon as I win the powerball I will post pictures of my new coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
I had 2 gassers in the past, now own a diesel. Bought it for one reason. Power. To me the gassers were scary underpowered.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #17

Lots of options for different needs. Gas, rear gas (UFO), FRED, DP.

It depends on what your needs are, on how you plan to use a rig.

In general:

Gas
-Lest cost going in
-Usually smaller in length
-Usually not as nice a ride
-Usually lots lower CCC numbers
-Usually lower resell
-Not as powerful for towing
-Not as powerful for hill climbing
-Not as strong on the down hill from braking
-Usually not as high of quality interiors, as available in DP (Some very nice gas units, but in general, the bulk of them do not have as good of quality available as you'll find in DP's. Though, many entry level DP's are of less quality then the higher end gas units.)

DP
-Usually more cost going in
-Usually rides better, more quiet
-Usually higher CCC
-Available in longer units
-Big Block DP's have power to climb and pull loads
-Available in as high a quality of insides as you pockets can afford
-Braking, from Pac to Jakes to Retarders, an added safety
-Higher resell

A gas unit is the right answer for many, based upon need. The UFO gas adds a different twist, but very few new units being made (I think Rexhall is the last one making UFO's?). A DP, or FRED, is the right answer for other people, based upon their needs.

No right of wrong on this. Cost to maintain. Over the long haul, I budgeted for our DP to cost us about 20% more then our gas Bounder with V10. But, that was also factoring a move to future more full timing in the DP. If you add the higher miles of usage onto the Bounder, I think the costs would have come down to about a 10% higher range.

If the gas does all that you need, stay with it. If you are low miles per year, with know need to pull anything heavy, and lower CCC needed - the a gas unit will do the job just fine.

I went he DP way. For comfort, safety (I believe the DP's are a safer rig to drive, due to better handling, more powerful brakes, Jake brakes), CCC, and going for the long haul. We hope to travel a great deal over the next 15 years, and are setting this rig up to do this.

Best of luck to the OP on his research, and to anyone else looking at gas vs DP.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
That is why I have a fifth wheel and a diesel TV. If I financed a coach there would not be enough money to enjoy it with. As soon as I win the powerball I will post pictures of my new coach.
I thought all tv's were electric powered?
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Some things cannot be articulated properly. Drive both. You'll see.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
YC1

One thing I really love is the onboard generator is 8W which is double what most gassers run and it is much much quieter than a gas generator. The fuel tank on most DP are large enough that decent fuel management will not cause a lot of grief trying to find it.

Sitting up front with the ac or radio running you cannot hear the engine in mine. We can just about whisper to each other. Our dp is so high that the view is even better than it was on our last gas A.

The engine brake is phenominal going downhill. I rarely use much braking.

Many DP can be filled from either side which is nice.

What I do miss is being able to get into smaller places. I have to be very careful with this monster.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Bottom line is diesel is great if you can afford it.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #22

We have had 2 gas and 2 diesel for me gas was way to simple to own and operate
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #23

We see lots of posts remarking that a diesel pusher is more expensive to buy. They are usually. (not always) The flip side is that they bring more when it comes time to sell. So overall cost may not be that much different.

Buying a gas coach simply because it's cheaper may well be a false economy, considering fuel consumption and resale value. Diesels are also less expensive to maintain. Typically filters, etc are basically what's required. Plus, I can't stand listening to a gas engine straining up hills versus the mellow purr of the big CAT way back there... We tow a loaded race car trailer, and don't go anywhere that doesn't require climbing very steep grades. I would be hard pressed to imagine a gas coach of similar size managing that very well.

A gas coach will certainly get you where you want to go. A diesel gets you there in a more refined and relaxed manner.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #24

I agree with posts regarding yearly diesel maintenance costs. The filters, oil, etc. are on a par with gas rv's. The key is that is all that is needed to get the engine operating in good order. The air brakes are a real plus as is the exhaust brake. The interaction between the diesel ecm and the Allison transmission takes a great deal of the concern out of mountain driving. Changing the air dryer filter is an every other year task.
At the end of the day, trade in or resale prices are better for the diesel. All in all, it is good investment if one uses the rv for extended travel.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #25

"A gas coach will certainly get you where you want to go. A diesel gets you there in a more refined and relaxed manner."

If you say so, although my gasser gets me there in a more affordable manner.

I didn't buy my MH for an investment, I bought something I could use and have fun in NOW.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #26

What about a stronger chassis that has not been stretched by a camper factory? Bigger brakes, stronger axles, better driveability, safer in cross winds, air ride technology means the coach will just last longer! All the components(AC, fridge, furnace, tv, everything will last longer on air ride period. More basement storage, bigger tanks to boondock longer to save money. There is no real answer to this debate, do what works for your lifestyle no matter what it is. I have said this before "Pop ups to Prevosts, they're still campers!"
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
"A gas coach will certainly get you where you want to go. A diesel gets you there in a more refined and relaxed manner."

If you say so, although my gasser gets me there in a more affordable manner.

I didn't buy my MH for an investment, I bought something I could use and have fun in NOW.

Great that it works well for you.

Come hook up my race trailer and let's go over the Grapevine, I-8 or Cajon Pass, and you'll get the difference. Motorhomes are definitely not an investment. However, sometimes paying a little more up front is a better deal in the long run. I know of lot's of folks driving gas coaches who paid much more than the $49k we paid for our like new diesel.

As I used to say to my wife when we had our first (gas) coach: "Better a used Bounder than no coach at all."
Old 10-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
my $.02

Hey all,

Lets look past maintenence and fuel costs. Lets look under the coaches for a minute.

- Gas Rv's are most likely Van or light truck based. (the new C+ are a step in the right direction). So Chevy/Ford or So&So make a chassis and then RV manufacturer XYZ sits their box on it and ties in as needed. Does Ford/Chevy or So&So specialize in chassis for RV's? No. Do they offer an quality product in their market - yes. Does the RV OEM have to splice here and there for different floor plans/models? I think so. Is a loaded RV bigger/longer than the normal box van the chassis is normally under? Does the Chassis OEM redesign the load capacity for every RV OEM?

Just a few thoughts on that camp.

- Diesel chassis RV's are built using components that have stood up to long haul abuse for years. I'm not talking just the engines, but things like steering components, brakes, and suspensions (types and components). Sure, you most likely will get bigger units with more torque and towing capacity. But its the built in durability that I respect.

Either one you choose suffer the same fate sitting along side the house. Age can be unkind to either in many fashions. Under the skin the industry uses the same components for sure - heaters and a/c units, sinks and tanks, electrical accessories.

In the DP market you are normally paying up front for a better bill of materials. That is why I chose a quality used DP instead of a newer less-used gasser. I am not trying to take anything away from the gas market. I took many trips in my youth in an old Excecutive or two with the family. But in todays world I gotta go diesel. If nothing else than what was mentioned in several previous posts - resale value. For a smaller RV, a FRED in the 32' range would be the cats meow. There you could have the best of both worlds.

Just an opinion or 2. Hope it helps
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas