Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What do I NEED to know......

DW and I are buying a DP with a Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 HP and an Allison 2500 MH 6 speed. PDI is on Saturday. Other than some general information gleaned from perusing this site the ONLY thing I know about diesels is just that. I can spell it. I'm sure I'll get manuals and info at the PDI but what I'd really like is some insight from you guys that actually have and drive this engine......Thanks and I'll shut up and listen.......
Dave
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

You may or may not get the books and manuals that were original to the coach, but the WEB has a great deal of info available. Start working Google and DOWNLOAD everything you can find, both for current learning and future reference. You'll never stop getting smarter on the rig, both from what you pickup on-line and what you learn on your own or talking to other RV'ers. That's really part of the fun about having one of these beasts. Learn, keep good records and files on what you learn, and enjoy. Welcome to the Thundering Herd!!!
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

Lots of Jayco Seneca owners have the Allison 2500 MH transmission, and have buzzed about getting the shift programming changed from the default of "economy" mode with sluggish performance, to the "performance" mode. I've read that most of them have had Allison do this as a no charge "warranty" fix. Not sure if it applies to your 2500, but something to ask your dealer/Allison about.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #4

Thanks. I'll check on that Saturday and ask how to get in touch with Allison....
Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

Get a jug of Biobor JF anti-algae juice and religiously add it to your fuel. I also add Optilube XPD to compensate for ULSD.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

John, thanks. I was wondering about dealing with biodiesel. As for the ULSD is that what's being sold for the most part?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #7

You can register with Cummins online and input your engine number; you'll be able to download all manner of manuals and documents and parts lists.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

You'll need to develop the "wait to start" habit (waiting for the intake grid heaters to cycle off when starting a cold engine). You'll know it's ready when the indicator goes out on the dash. After a while it becomes automatic, then you'll find you wait to start everything else that doesn't need it.

You'll find as many opinions on additives as there are owners. I take my directions on that from Cummins and no one else. YMMV.

Get a set of fuel filters (there are 2) and keep them as spares. Learn how to swap them out if you pick up dirty fuel. That's infrequent, but it does happen more often than with gasoline. And a dirty fuel filter is bad news for diesel injection pumps. Buy fuel at high volume locations with fresh fuel. Avoid the mom and pop stores that sell fuel today they bought months ago.

For the main part, just relax and drive... modern diesels are not really difficult to operate and don't need a lot of nursing.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHo Dave View Post
John, thanks. I was wondering about dealing with biodiesel. As for the ULSD is that what's being sold for the most part?
Yup,ULSD (plus a % of Bio-Diesel) in some states.
The coach owner adding the Biocide is to alleviate the root cause of algae growth.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #9

When change fluids/filters and your fuel filter I would use either Fleetguard, Caterpillar, Paul or Baldwin filters nothing else. Everything else that is made is junk and could damage your engine over time. There is a whole of information on the difference between quality filters and cheap auto parts filters in the market place. I would also use a very good quality engine oil such as Vavloline 15W-40, Shell Rotella 15W-40 T4 or Amazon oils in your engine. Once you pick an oil try to stay with that brand. I prefer Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 in the one gallon jugs for my Cummins.

Another brand of diesel fuel products is Power Service which I use and another quality product is Howe's diesel fuel treatment.

Good luck and enjoy your new RV.