RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
What is Too Many Miles on an ISL?

We're looking at a Foretravel U270 with a 400 hp ISL and 160K on the clock. The mileage makes it affordable and makes us wonder. We'll probably own it ten years and put another 75-100K on it in that time. What do you think?

barmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 11:47 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Mileage on a diesel engine means little. The only way to know would be to have the oil and transmission fluid analyzed. You could also have a compression test done, but 160 k on a diesel isn't that much. If oil and filters have been changed regularly, some might say it's just getting broken in.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It really all depends on how its been maintained. I would be more concerned about other systems than the engine. Air bags, brakes, and so forth. The engine itself should be good for more miles than you will ever put on it.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:26 AM   #4

What is Too Many Miles on an ISL?

What year is it?

Up until 2004, Cummins mid-size Diesel engines were built with a million mile service life. This means you could expect to get a million miles before an in-frame rebuild was required.

In 2004 Cummins re-evaluated their position. Their thought was, why build a million mile motor when most of the vehicles they're going into rarely go over 300k. As result, they redesigned them with a 500k mi service life.

Now, none of this means you won't have a part fail. Water pumps, fuel pumps, turbos can and will fail, but for the most part, mileage on the engine shouldn't be a huge concern. In fact, I'd be more concerned about the milage on the transmission.

In any event, it is unlikely you'll wear out that Cummins ISL.

Good luck to you.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's a 2002 model.
barmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

I've worked for 2 different Cummins distributors, you'd wear out several chassis before you'd wear out the engine.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have some fun and it will illustrate the mileage issue. Do a google search for engines like yours for sale on the internet. I found one place that had "low mileage take outs for sale. The low mileage engines were 250,000 to 300,000 mile. Now people must have some confidence to pay for a 300,000 mile engine and install it in their truck.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:21 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I think the statement that diesels will run forever is overused and sometimes just regurgitated. Yes, they may run a million miles, but that's most often done at constant highway speeds over 7-10 years by trucking companies.

When it comes to motor homes, 160K is a lot. That mileage is not just on the engine, but on the transmission, lift pump, injectors, brakes, ball joints, bushings, wheel bearings etc. It's also 160K on the paint, interior, flooring, cabinets etc.

A Foretravel is a great coach and something I wish I could afford, but you really need to look the coach over and make sure it's not worn out. Is the suspension still tight, does it steer well, ride well etc. Foretravels are nice, but also expensive to repair.

Lastly, if you're going to buy a used coach, you've picked one of the best.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:39 AM   #9

I wouldn't call a CAPS era ISL a million mile engine. I've read documentation from municipalities that considered ISLs for bus transportation that state a B50 life of 600,000. B50 means 50% of the fleet of regularly maintained engines will need an overhaul at 600,000 miles.

I haven't seen any documentation stating the HPCR engines that succeeded the CAPS will have any difference in service life expectancy. Of course ancillary components such as EGR coolers on later EPA compliant motors may create more maintenance and repair issues - I'm talking about the life of major long block components.

In our application 600,000 is forever.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'd have the coach gone over by an independent engine/chassis shop and go from there. With a clean bill of health this could be a real find for you. The price is low for the same reason you are asking about it, many will automatically and unnecessarily dismiss this coach because of the miles.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

If the coach did not have a detailed maintenance records I would want a through inspection at a Cummins dealer.