Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
What oil do you use for your Cummins 300?

Hey y'all!!
New owner of a 2003 Coachmen with a Cummins 300 diesel. Oil is BLACK and wanna do the change on my own. What oil and filters do you use and like??

Also....where the hell do you drain all them quarts of dirty oil into??!!

I really appreciate any insight!!

Joe
Central Utah
joemcgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's a wide open subject with many answers. I use Rotella 15-40 in mine. I don't bother changing it myself, it doesn't cost that much to have it changed at Speedco. Fleetgard filters are "recommended" but most any name brand filter will do. I follow the 12 month change cycle. You can't base it on color. It will turn black well before it's due to be changed. I always do an oil analysis at each change to keep an eye on unusual wear or other problems.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #3

It is best to know and post your Cummins engine model number. A Cummins 300 won't mean much to any parts person etc, but a Cummins 5.9L or 6.7L or C8.3 or ISX will direct them to the right parts and recommended oil.

That being said, after owning DD's and N block Cummins, the old 6.2L GM diesel pickup and now our CTA 8.3 Cummins, I have always used 10-40 or 15-40 Delo 400 or Shell Rotella T.

And diesel engine oil gets black with carbon shortly after an oil change and stays that way until you drain it.

Good luck with your choices and let us know what engine you actually have.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
After 3 diesel motorhomes (2 ISC 330s & 1 ISL 400)and the recommendation of Cummins, I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40 Diesel Oil. The filters are Fleetgard LF 9009. I buy the filters on line at a much better price that a local s & b store. The oil can be bought on sale if you watch for it.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #5

In answer to the second part of your question, to drain the oil out of my Cummins ISX, I use a plastic container designed for small batch concrete or mortar mixing. Can be had at Home Depot or other big box stores for about $10 and will hold all your drained oil. They are relatively flat so the only problem is emptying them without making a mess. I use a Harbor Freight pump for that....
Old 03-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Also since this seems to be the first time DIY, you should make sure you know the correct oil capacity. Its very easy to overfill RV coach engines and it'll blow out what it don't want.

Many posts on this fourm with mismarked dipsticks...

I'd suggest a Cummins quickserve account using your engine S/N. It's free ....and you'll be able to get the oil capacity there.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

I use Rotella 5W40 full synthetic with fleet guard filters.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #8

I do my own oil changes, filters come from spartan and I buy oil at walmart, they carry rotella 15-40. As for what I put it in, I use a old plastic ice chest something in the 30-40 quart range, drain plug on the side has lid and handles, drain back into the containers new oil came in for easy disposal wherever you decide.
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks!! It’s a 2004 Cummins 5.9L. These reply’s have been very helpful guys.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks everyone!!! Very helpful.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post
I do my own oil changes, filters come from spartan and I buy oil at walmart, they carry rotella 15-40. As for what I put it in, I use a old plastic ice chest something in the 30-40 quart range, drain plug on the side has lid and handles, drain back into the containers new oil came in for easy disposal wherever you decide.
Great idea! I like to use some of the used oil to coat utility trailer decks etc.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgriff View Post
Thanks!! It’s a 2004 Cummins 5.9L. These reply’s have been very helpful guys.
Here is a link that might or might not help you with your Cummins engine. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/ho...ampaignId=5494
This is a free site from Cummins. I get updates about every quarter from Cummins to my e-mail address.
Not any old filter will provide the filtration and or the proper oil flow to the engine. Stay away from run of the mill oil filters such as Wix's, Fram and so forth. Here is why I specify Fleetguard filters for your Cummins engine. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si...es/LT36539.pdf
Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgriff View Post
... Oil is BLACK and...
Just a heads up, but diesel engine oil color is not nearly as significant as a gas engine. Black oil is normal...
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins