Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
When is Engine Broken In?

At approximately What mileage/Hours would most consider to be the "Break In" point for a Cummins Diesel? It is the C 8.3 Mechanical!

Mileage is 36,000 which is I'm told is low for the age (1998) of the Coach!

It has been well maintained and runs fine!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I think 75-100k , is a hard one to answer ..

I drive for a living and my C15 is considered "broke in" at 100k
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I guess it depends on what you mean by "broken in". At 36k it is in the teenage years of its lifespan (at least 250k miles). But if you mean will the fuel mileage improve more in the future, the answer is probably no.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Several of our work trucks have the 8.3 and a couple are approaching 500k ..

Stay on top of stuff , and the 8.3 with not give you much trouble ..

Thats one of the things about a diesel tho' , you have to catch the little things , before they become big things , and with a diesel they become big things pretty quick ..
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #5

Hopefully no-one minds me chiming in about my 5.9 Cummins. It always used a little oil from day one. We made one trip to SW CA.(nother story) Eastbound from Bakersfield to Las Vegas on the return leg, there is a looong uphill grade. My 5.9 heat gauge ventured into the red zone, and I'd stop long enough for the engine to cool. When I asked my son-in-law(maint mgr for major trucking firm) why my engine stopped using oil on that return leg, he said I finally worked the engine hard enough for it to "break-in". That was at 89K miles. He also said the harder a diesel is worked(within reason) the better it runs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Hopefully no-one minds me chiming in about my 5.9 Cummins. It always used a little oil from day one. We made one trip to SW CA.(nother story) Eastbound from Bakersfield to Las Vegas on the return leg, there is a looong uphill grade. My 5.9 heat gauge ventured into the red zone, and I'd stop long enough for the engine to cool. When I asked my son-in-law(maint mgr for major trucking firm) why my engine stopped using oil on that return leg, he said I finally worked the engine hard enough for it to "break-in". That was at 89K miles. He also said the harder a diesel is worked(within reason) the better it runs.
That's interesting. We even see they same thing on air/oilcooled BMW motorcycles. At least 24K until they break in sometimes more. It also seems the hotter you get them during that time the better the rings seal the less oil they use. My dealer told me a story of one of their customers who started their bike and then got a phone call, he forgot he started it and it ran for 2 1/2 hours. The oil temp was in the red zone when he remembered. He thought he did considerable damage to his new bike. The dealer said it was one of the best running BMW's that they ever had. Used zero oil after that.
My 8.3 is using about 3 quarts of Rotella T in 10K which I would think would be normal. The coach has 53K on it and is worked pretty well as I tow a 6500 pound trailer around the country. I expect this motor to last a very long time. I really don't know if it's broken in or not be it really seems to run better and smoother since I bought it with 19K on it.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #7

My ISB never burned oil so I don't have that break in issue, but I have heard that at some point the MPG increases. I have not experienced that for 60,000 miles but coincidentally at that point I began to use 55 MPH as my max speed and I installed Air Tabs at about the same time (Google Air Tabs for info). My MPG went from 10 to 12. I don't know if any break in was involved but I surely am pleased with the change.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
cwg

At a Spartan Motors tour, the Cummins rep stated that on average their engine is considered "wet" until at least 28,000 miles, meaning that it was capable of using some oil until then. Of course it varies, but he said the majority will get the best fuel economy and not use any oil after that mileage.

He also stated that the relatively small weight we move by a motorhome is akin to a small shell on the back of a turtle. They are capable of so much more work than we make them do, thus the long warranties and mostly maintenance free engines we enjoy.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote