Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

When to add extender to final charge coolant?

Changed the anti freeze coolant over to Final Charge coolant 3 years ago. I'm a little confused as to whether I need to add the extender at 3 years or not. does any.one know or is it mileage I go by?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

For us RVers, per Spartan recommendations, Final Charge is a 6 year coolant. It requires the addition of the "extender" at 3 years - something like a quart. Mileage makes no difference.

http://www.finalcharge.com/ - Obviously, the 300k mile recommendation for trucking fleets is meaningless to RVers. Hence, the Spartan recommended service interval.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

google" fleetguard test strips" - it will lead you the cummins website.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Just don't use the test strips on Final Charge, they don't work for it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Final Charge does NOT need the addition of SCA/DCA - it eliminates them!

The cost (and hassle) savings of these OAT & ELC type coolants is the fact SCA/DCA are eliminated. Hence, these test strips are meaningless...
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I contacted Fleetguard last year because my engine is due for the extender. Fleetguard couldn't/wouldn't tell me how much I needed to add. I was told I should wait for the test strips for this product which should be out shortly. It was my understanding that OAT type antifreeze didn't use test strips. Again, this was last year so I remain confused.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #7

Testing for SCA/DCA is NOT required with Final Charge (an OAT & ELC coolant). Generally when "test strips" are mentioned in RV forums that is what is being tested.

One can also buy pH and "freeze point" and "water quality" and "glycol quality" coolant test strips. On RV forums these are rarely talked about. Certainly these strips are applicable to ALL coolants.

However, given fixed service intervals for the addition of the "extender" (and FleetGuard also has an interval spec) one would presume no testing is really need - just add the extender. Do make a clear distinction between RV service use and trucker fleet service use, hence the 300k miles (Final Charge) and 150k miles (FleetGuard ES Compleat) make NO sense. That's why Spartan (who uses Final Charge) gives the 3yr/6yr service spec.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
Final Charge does NOT need the addition of SCA/DCA - it eliminates them!

The cost (and hassle) savings of these OAT & ELC type coolants is the fact SCA/DCA are eliminated. Hence, these test strips are meaningless...

I stand corrected.

From The Peak Website:

Final Charge® Global™ Extended Life Heavy Duty Coolant / Antifreeze

Final Charge Global Extended Life Coolant features a patented Organic Acid Technology (OAT) formula that delivers total cooling system protection for 600,000 miles of on-road use (6 years of 12,000 hours or off-highway use) without the use of Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCAs). The only maintenance required is the addition of Final Charge Extender at 300,000 to 400,000 miles of on-road use (3 years or 6,000 hours of off-highway use). When required, you should also top-off the cooling system with Final Charge or Final Charge 50/50 Prediluted Global Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
I stand corrected.

From The Peak Website:

Final Charge® Global™ Extended Life Heavy Duty Coolant / Antifreeze

Final Charge Global Extended Life Coolant features a patented Organic Acid Technology (OAT) formula that delivers total cooling system protection for 600,000 miles of on-road use (6 years of 12,000 hours or off-highway use) without the use of Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCAs). The only maintenance required is the addition of Final Charge Extender at 300,000 to 400,000 miles of on-road use (3 years or 6,000 hours of off-highway use). When required, you should also top-off the cooling system with Final Charge or Final Charge 50/50 Prediluted Global Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze.
Yep. Great stuff. Just hard to find some times. I got mine in O'Reilly Auto Parts in Albuquerque. Sure nice not to have to mess with the strips and the additive all the time. We use 1 quart of extender for a Cummins ISL 425.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #10

Final Charge coolant

Make sure your coolant filter, if so equipped has 0 sca's or dca's added. Or if changing over to Final Charge from conventional coolant and filter was/is installed.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
...Just hard to find some times. ...
Seems most Flying Js are carrying Final Charge now.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #12

Got mine at NAPA in concentrated form.

2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400, (Sold)
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
For us RVers, per Spartan recommendations, Final Charge is a 6 year coolant. It requires the addition of the "extender" at 3 years - something like a quart. Mileage makes no difference.

Final Charge Antifreeze Home Page - Obviously, the 300k mile recommendation for trucking fleets is meaningless to RVers. Hence, the Spartan recommended service interval.
Mileage DOES make a difference. Final Charge is composed of an ethylene glycol base fluid with 3 organic inhibitor acids. These acids do not wear out or degrade by lack of use. Old World made a test kit for Final Charge. I suggest you contact Old World about how to get a sample of your coolant tested. Another approach is to change the coolant. Final Charge has dropped in price since Old World has several competitors in the nitrite-free engine coolant business.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Mileage DOES make a difference. ...
While you are absolutely correct, let's step back and get ourselves back in context. This is an RV forum, last I checked. RV'rs, as a lot, are simply NOT going to hit the mileage marks specified by Final Charge (300,000 miles in 3 years) unlike truckers who as a lot will. Hence, from a practicality perspective, for RV'ers time is going to come due long, long, long before mileage.

Context is key and was well spelled out.