Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #1

Where is my slobber tube?

I feel pretty stupid asking this particular question as I know exactly what it looks like. I also know that it should be obvious, but I can't find the darn thing!

2002 Diplomat with Cummins ISC 330 and rear radiator.

I only have one area on the engine that looks somewhat wet with oil, which is right above the starter somewhere. But it is not all that wet. I have looked on both sides of the engine from the radiator forward to the mud flaps on the rear wheels. Is it likely that some mod has been done to my engine that recycles the blowby back into the engine?

Can anyone guide me to where the source of the slobber tube would normally be on this engine? Valve cover I assume, but where?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Should be a 3/4 hose on the passengers side of engine in the middle if you have one. About that time frame Cummins changed the ventilation for their engines which then went to what they called a closed system. The tube hangs down pretty low so it is easy to see. I would think you have the closed system which doesn't have the open tube.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #3

Well, if it has a closed system, that is great. But I thought they didn't go to a closed system until 2007 or later, and mine is a 2002? Maybe there was a mod of some sort?

Anyway, I have crawled all over and seem to have no slobber tube so I guess I just shouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I feel pretty stupid asking this particular question as I know exactly what it looks like. I also know that it should be obvious, but I can't find the darn thing!

2002 Diplomat with Cummins ISC 330 and rear radiator.

I only have one area on the engine that looks somewhat wet with oil, which is right above the starter somewhere. But it is not all that wet. I have looked on both sides of the engine from the radiator forward to the mud flaps on the rear wheels. Is it likely that some mod has been done to my engine that recycles the blowby back into the engine?

Can anyone guide me to where the source of the slobber tube would normally be on this engine? Valve cover I assume, but where?
On the ISC, the Road draft tube should be just behind the oil filter. Look for a 5/8 Dia steel tube with the end even with the top of the oil pan. There might be a hose attached to it.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #5

Caliber - BINGO!

Thanks so much. I was looking for a hose or tube that came down much lower. It was exactly where you said it would be. The whole area looks pretty clean too! No obvious signs of blowby or dripping of oil.

Thanks for steering me straight to it.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #6

Slobber tube or Oil Breather tube

My 2005 Cummins ISM 500 HP is throwing oil out of this breather tube at a steady rate. It seems to be a known problem with this engine. Different fixes suggested: Attach plastic jug to catch exhaust and oil (must have open top); reroute to rear -- still will throw oil on tow vehicle.
Any suggestion for a fix ??
I rerouted all the way to the bottom of my rear rock skirt. That cut down on the oil on the tow vehicle but it is still sending a lot of oil on the tow.
Fat Charlie Oct. 2, 2017
FatCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCharlie View Post
Slobber tube or Oil Breather tube

My 2005 Cummins ISM 500 HP is throwing oil out of this breather tube at a steady rate. It seems to be a known problem with this engine. Different fixes suggested: Attach plastic jug to catch exhaust and oil (must have open top); reroute to rear -- still will throw oil on tow vehicle.
Any suggestion for a fix ??
I rerouted all the way to the bottom of my rear rock skirt. That cut down on the oil on the tow vehicle but it is still sending a lot of oil on the tow.
Fat Charlie Oct. 2, 2017
Does you engine have a crankcase filter? If so it's gotta be addressed as well.... If not Fleetguard makes a crankcase ventilation system the uses a air/oil separator that helps control blow by, but if blow by is excessive, it'll need deeper diagnosis, turbo compressor seals, air compressor testing and a cylinder blowby measurement to make sure engine doesn't have excessive cylinder piston/ring/liner wear...

I installed a open crankcase ventilation system on my ISC.... scroll down to post #11 here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241123
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote