Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Which Fumoto oil drain valve do you recommend?

it's time to do an oil change on our new-to-us '95 dynasty w/c8.3 motor and i'd like to replace the stock drain plug with a fumoto valve. i'd love to hear any / all experience-based feedback you've got re which one / options to use.

thx in advance
(and, yep, i'm doing an oil - and other - fluid analysis while i'm @ it.)

Search Results | Fumoto® Engine Oil Drain Valves

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #2

If you do your own maintenance and oil drains, yes.

If you have others do your maintenance, no.

The valve does result in slower drains, and in shops that are Grease Monkey in style of 'move them in/move em out' volume maintenance - would be concerned that the tech doing the oil change may not be patient enough to let all of the old flow out!

$.02!

Smitty

Old 10-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
If you do your own maintenance and oil drains, yes.

If you have others do your maintenance, no.

The valve does result in slower drains, and in shops that are Grease Monkey in style of 'move them in/move em out' volume maintenance - would be concerned that the tech doing the oil change may not be patient enough to let all of the old flow out!

$.02!

Smitty
understand. i expect to do most/all of the basic periodic maint such as oils, filters, coolants, etc ... being retired the only schedule i'm on is my bride's :-)

thx for the reminder!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

If your drain fitting is on the bottom of oil pan would recommend not putting one on. It's easy to get knock off on the bottom of pan. If side of pan better location but because it to can get damaged I would recommend no. Have a 500 ISM and drain fitting on bottom so it for sure not going to get one.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #5

I had one on my Bounder for several years. Mine had a slip on hose fitting on it. I kept extra hose on hand and cut a piece to go from the fitting to a jug and drained the oil directly into the jug. It usually took a gallon and extra quart or 2. Then I placed the dirty hose in the gallon Jug and disposed of both at Walmart. Great System. I was concerned about the valve too until a buddy told me he had one on his airplane.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
thx for the feedback, Tom and Bye, much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #7

An Airplane isn't likely to hit something on the interstate
danny285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

Mine took the Fumoto F-104N Engine Oil Drain Valve
Old 10-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just installed one on my ISL yesterday. The drain is on a 45d angle near the bottom of the oil pan. I was concerned it might get knocked off until I saw the trans pan is even lower and no scrape makes on the oil pan after going over bad driveway entrances.
Sure should help keep my hands stay cleaner, if oil is real hot, no burning, and less mess going directly into jugs rather than a slopping pan.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
F104n on 2001 370 ISL Dyanasty. I love the convenience and no more searching in the bottom of the drain pan to recover the dropped OEM plug. The nipple allows for a plastic drain line running over to one side of the coach underbody. That way I don't have to drag the full container out from under the coach. It drains a little slower but not much. I concider it a must have.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
great feedback, thx very much!

sounds like nipple and plastic hose are in my immediate future — woo hoo, party under my coach!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Which Fumoto oil drain valve do you recommend?

having exchanged clarifying emails with quickserve, I am ready to order my drain valve this morning. quickserve pointed me to this exploded view of the engine and I note (as I did yesterday under the coach when I checked it out) there’s a lower drain plug (which is where I believe the fumoto will go) and there is one slightly above it – what is the upper plug used for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3789.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	180947
Old 10-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #13

On some Cummins ISC and ISL there are 2 drain plugs so make sure you look for another drain plug to see if yours has 2. Worked on ISC and the 2nd drain plug in the back of the engine and drained out about 2 or 3 quarts of motor oil after draining main drain plug.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
On some Cummins ISC and ISL there are 2 drain plugs so make sure you look for another drain plug to see if yours has 2. Worked on ISC and the 2nd drain plug in the back of the engine and drained out about 2 or 3 quarts of motor oil after draining main drain plug.

i’ll do that, thx for the heads up, tom.

Tags
valve