Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #1

white steam and foam coming out exhaust

2008 Winnebago Tour with 8.9 L Cummins with 23k miles

Started the Winnebago up to day and it started ruff. So I shut it off and restarted. Then it ran smooth. But while waiting for the air bags to fill up I notice allot of white steam and water coming out of the exhaust. There was even slugs of foam coming out. Smells like engine coolant. Last time I saw something like this is when I over heated my car engine and warped the heads.

We just got back from a 1400 mile round trip last month. Just had it in to replace all four wheel seals and rear end fluid.

I did have the engine heater on for awhile before I started it because it was in the low 40's last night.

What could it be? Sound expensive!
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #2

Does not sound good. Get the cooling system pressure tested before going any further.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a head gasket leak, if it is the gasket just console yourself that it could have been a lot worse and/or more expensive.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

Should I have it towed or can I drive it 20 miles. I have changed the head gaskets on my cars but this is a much bigger beast. Then working from the RV bedroom does not sound fun.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Does not sound good. Get the cooling system pressure tested before going any further.
And get it to a Cummins shop fast. A pressure test may NOT be enough to identify the source. With the foaming description this is progressing very fast. Your worst nightmare will be starting it one day with a cylinder full of coolant and thus hydrolock the engine. Mega bad.

I don't know your engine specifically but other sources (other than head gasket or crack in head/block) are EGR cooler (if installed) and if you have water cooled injectors it can drip from there right into that hole.

I had both the later on my ISM. I got a new cooler, head, and one entire hole all under warranty. Same puff of steam on start, occasional "rough" start, slow loss of coolant (like a quart every 10,000mi) and the smell of coolant at start. Other than that it ran fine. The Cummins diagnostic tree stopped at EGR cooler (if it fails) so my first trip got that done. When the symptoms continued the diagnostic tree on my second visit allowed them to find the injector dribble.

BTW - On my ISM I ran a radiator pressure test at 15PSI and it held rock steady for days (I even watched the day/nite temperature fluctuations on the PSI). The EGR cooler has to be tested at something like 100-150PSI to ID a fault in it - yes it gets removed to do that.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #6

Does anyone know what the engine warranty is? There is a small stream of fluid coming out of the muffler now when running. This is just starting it for a minute to move it out of the way and to a good place to work on it. A friend knows a mobile mechanic but if it is under warranty. Cummins can pay. Bought in March 7 2009. Now has less than 23000 miles. But it was a factory demo with pro rated warranty so I may need to call dealer in Forest City, Iowa. The chassis warranty expired Nov 7 2011.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #7

I believe Cummins is a 5 yr warranty. You need to call your Cummins certified service dealer and only a Cummins certified place. www.cummins.com will get you started.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #8

One of the telltail symptoms of a bad head gasket would be bubbling in the coolant recovery tank as the engine is runnung, The bubbles are created from compression gas being pushed through the leak in the head gasket and enters into the cooling system. The coolant recovery tank is the highest point of the cooling system, so the gas will migrate to that point to vent. Someone mentioned a comprimised EGR cooler and I would tend to lean in that direction as well.

I think (but not sure) that Cummin's engines have a 5 year/70K mile (?) factory warantee.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-tip View Post
Should I have it towed or can I drive it 20 miles. I have changed the head gaskets on my cars but this is a much bigger beast. Then working from the RV bedroom does not sound fun.
If you have a motor club, extended service policy, or anything that covers towing I'd have it towed.

Even if you needed to pay a small amount out of pocket I'd opt for having it towed, even though I own a towing company I feel these should only be towed as a last resort or in this case to prevent more costly repairs.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If you have a motor club, extended service policy, or anything that covers towing I'd have it towed.

Even if you needed to pay a small amount out of pocket I'd opt for having it towed, even though I own a towing company I feel these should only be towed as a last resort or in this case to prevent more costly repairs.
That's what GoodSam ERS and Coachnet is for. Have them tow it if possible.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #11

I thought it was 5 year for RV also but both Cummins dealer and Freightliner dealer say 2 year warranty. But I called Cummins Care 1800 DIESELS and was told 5 year 100,000 for RV only. 8.9 ISL is normally 2 year but if in RV it is 5 year.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #12

Your most likely cause is a cracked EGR cooler. Cracking EGR coolers is the number one issue among engine companies that utilize this emissions system. Coolers get air and steam in the top of the core. As the engine operates under load with no liquid in contact with the upper region of the core, it cracks. Constant foam and and the liquid stream are the best clues.

If you had a head crack or head gasket failure, you should see some coolant blowing from the radiator fill neck overflow tube. You can verify that it is not a head gasket or crack by doing the bottle test. Remove the radiator overflow tube from the fill neck. Attach a long hose or plastic tube to that connection. Put the other end into the jug of water. Start the engine. With your foot on the brake put it in gear and depress the throttle to load the engine. If you get a steady stream of bubbles, it is either a crack or gasket issue. If you get a short stream of bubbles then it stops, it is just expansion of the coolant. It will stop blowing bubbles. This simple test was developed at Caterpillar during my other life before Cummins.

Spike45
Retired Cummins field engineer
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins warranty is a 5 year warranty on the engine. After two years it is a $100 deductable. If you don't have the paper work on the coach, look at the engine and get the serial number off of it and call Cummins and get verifications of warranty.

Personally, If I saw those conditions, I would have it towed. I recently broke down and I was towed 30+ miles to the Cummins dealer here in Houston. Good Sam covered the towing.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #14

Got it back tonight. It was the EGR cooler leaking. It was under factor warranty. Now I just need to air out the bed room. Smells a little like oil or grease. But it runs great now.

Thanks for the help.