Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Angry Will not start

Let the rig sit for several months, tried starting turns over great but will not start.

waited still no go what's the process of elimination?
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #2

An engine only needs three things to run. Fuel, air, and spark.
Is this a gas or diesel motor?
Old 04-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
diesel, posting in Cummins
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #4

How are your starting batteries are they fully charged? They may not be turning the starter enough to drive the engine enough for compression.

Check your air cleaner to insure free air flow to the engine something may have plugged the air inlet.

Are you getting fuel to the fuel injectors? Check your fuel filter to see if this is plugged do to Algae in the fuel.

Are there any codes showing up on a code reader?

These are a some ideas there may be more from others.

Please post what you come up with as this will help others.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Let the rig sit for several months, tried starting turns over great but will not start.

I had **exactly** the same no-start symptoms with my ‘95 Monaco Dynasty’s c8.3. after receiving feedback in the Monaco owner forum I narrowed it down to the fuel cutoff solenoid.

I am new to diesels so learned that on my Cummins when the ignition is turned to the start position one of the two magnets in the solenoid pulls UP and allows fuel to pass to the engine; the other magnet HOLDS the solenoid in the run position.

on my Cummins the solenoid receives power from a relay (on top of the starter) via a 3 wire harness:

black wire is ground
red wire is the “run” position
white wire is the “pulls up” position

I can’t say if you’ve got a cutoff solenoid issue like mine, but here’s how I tested and id’d the problem.

with my ignition in the “on” position I go to the engine compartment, place the engine in rear start position, then reach in to the solenoid and push the solenoid arm to the “up” position ... if the “run” wire is energized you should feel it pull UP and HOLD in the “run” position.

when I engage mine in the rear start position it fires right up and runs like a champ ... YMMV ;-)

i replaced my solenoid and while it manually pulls up, starts and runs like a champ I have yet to locate the gremlin in my wires ... but I will.

there are sooo many potential issues / reasons as noted I can’t suggest where to begin ... but this is what I did.

post updates as you rinse through things ... it helps us learn.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:37 AM   #6

Sounds like you lost prime? Turn key to on and go to rear of engine and listen for a pump, lift pump, should run 30 seconds or so? Wait till pump stops and cycle again. Try this three or four cycles and then try to start.

Wouldn't hurt to dose with a biocide also and maybe spin on new fuel filters too.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post

waited still no go what's the process of elimination?
It would help to advise when we know the engine and year. things are different for various engines..