RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

02/3126E/MPG/Temps

Hello all, Thought I would give an update to our 5080 mile western tour this summer. 02 Dutchstar. I put the feelers out here before the trip to try and get an idea to fuel mpg not that it mattered just planning fuel stops. The trip started in Tampa, Colo Springs, Tetons, Yellowstone, Sturgis, Tampa. We averaged 7.6mpg for the trip, with a low of 6.1 to high of 8.5 mpg. low being going through the Shoshone Mtns, and headwinds in Kansas. If you feel the coach blowing around, or 10% grades plan the worst MPG. I was fully loaded towing a 20 foot fully loaded trailer. We boondocked to and fro so we were full of fuel, propane, and water.

On another note I see lots of people having trouble with coolant temps. I had to pull over 7 times to cool the coach on the climb through Shoshone Mtns. The Ironic part here is most don`t realize how frickin hard these pusher engines are working to not only pull a grade, but stay cool. Now I must say that I had pedal to go, and was in 2nd gear going 25mph up the hills, but this eng is working it`s b**** off to pull that. Could I go 35 and pull 3rd sure BUT!
Think of it this way
Cat 3126E 330 HP Torque 860
2500HD Duramax 350HP Torque 650 pulling 35ft toyhauler. MPG diff 2mpg. Wind resistance significant.
You can GVWR 10k More lbs with 3126E in DS and tow what you want,
But you give up MPG, and Eng temp. It`s all about MPG, and TEMP.
BTW I had 2 Prevosts in The Shoshone blow by me in passing zones. Never saw them again and they were pulling bigger trailers. With $ comes bigger cooling systems, more HP/TQ, Bigger turbos, and Intercoolers. I guess when I want to pull the hills at 70, and cruise 75 I will spend a couple Mil. For now I`m quite content with 65mph, and 7.6mpg.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lis View Post
Hello all, Thought I would give an update to our 5080 mile western tour this summer. 02 Dutchstar. I put the feelers out here before the trip to try and get an idea to fuel mpg not that it mattered just planning fuel stops. The trip started in Tampa, Colo Springs, Tetons, Yellowstone, Sturgis, Tampa. We averaged 7.6mpg for the trip, with a low of 6.1 to high of 8.5 mpg. low being going through the Shoshone Mtns, and headwinds in Kansas. If you feel the coach blowing around, or 10% grades plan the worst MPG. I was fully loaded towing a 20 foot fully loaded trailer. We boondocked to and fro so we were full of fuel, propane, and water.

On another note I see lots of people having trouble with coolant temps. I had to pull over 7 times to cool the coach on the climb through Shoshone Mtns. The Ironic part here is most don`t realize how frickin hard these pusher engines are working to not only pull a grade, but stay cool. Now I must say that I had pedal to go, and was in 2nd gear going 25mph up the hills, but this eng is working it`s b**** off to pull that. Could I go 35 and pull 3rd sure BUT!
Think of it this way
Cat 3126E 330 HP Torque 860
2500HD Duramax 350HP Torque 650 pulling 35ft toyhauler. MPG diff 2mpg. Wind resistance significant.
You can GVWR 10k More lbs with 3126E in DS and tow what you want,
But you give up MPG, and Eng temp. It`s all about MPG, and TEMP.
BTW I had 2 Prevosts in The Shoshone blow by me in passing zones. Never saw them again and they were pulling bigger trailers. With $ comes bigger cooling systems, more HP/TQ, Bigger turbos, and Intercoolers. I guess when I want to pull the hills at 70, and cruise 75 I will spend a couple Mil. For now I`m quite content with 65mph, and 7.6mpg.
Thanks for the review. My first time climbing out West in our Beaver will be next summer. We were in the Mountains of VA on I81 and I77 this summer. We never felt any hesitation going up and no cooling issues. Granted our Cat is larger but I like to hear how you made it without issues. Gives me confidence for next summer. Thanks!

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #3

I just thought I would share my mpg experience this summer with our 3126. On our 1999 Harney we pull our 28' race trailer which is approximately 9,000 lbs. Over the course of the summer,, all pulling the trailer, and mostly in fairly flat Illinois, we got 7.5 mpg. Really, I don't think that is too bad. Most of the trips were less than 40 miles and with small towns every step of the way. No complaint from me!

One thing I haven't figured out is when we have the cruise on, and we come to any sort of grade (that I think we can pull in OD without much issue) it will go for a bit, and start increasing throttle, then just completely cut out. I turn off the cruise and take over with my foot, and no issue. Regardless of throttle position. Weird.