Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #1

04 9.3 400hp ?

I have a 05 CC allure 430,heavy 37,000# plus tow a trailer,it seems to be down on power to me,plus don't get but 5mpg on a great day.It has screen in dash with info it never reads higher than 6hundred something on torque and 2hundred something on hp no matter what.All other info seems correct? Took to cat dealer got a new air filter which I believe didn't need and a oil pressure sensor and didn't change anything running wise! They say it all checked fine??? How is power on most? Mine wont go up a good grade at speed limit most times not towing.
CCRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When the Cat dealer said it checked out fine, what did they do to check? You could have cylinder cut out done to check each injector. HEUI pump ok? How many miles on your rig? Did it have the top end service/adjustments made? As you said you are heavy. When you say it won't pull a grade at speed, just what speed are you trying to pull. Shift points on transmission as well as other tranny items may also be an issue.

Sounds like you have some research to do. Welcome to the world of motor homing and this forum.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What's the trailer weight when towing?
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #4

trailer weight 15,000.Not sure what they checked except my wallet.This was 6 month's ago right after I purchased.Seems real hard to find anyone in area with knowledge I have found.
I know my old Fleetwood discovery with 5.9 230hp cummins did almost as good as this thing,granted coach was lighter.On a decent hill like down through Kentucky 50-55 on decent grades.
CCRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRob View Post
trailer weight 15,000.Not sure what they checked except my wallet.This was 6 month's ago right after I purchased.Seems real hard to find anyone in area with knowledge I have found.
I know my old Fleetwood discovery with 5.9 230hp cummins did almost as good as this thing,granted coach was lighter.On a decent hill like down through Kentucky 50-55 on decent grades.
So 52k loaded? with 400hp and a 6 speed trans?...I wouldn't expect much in the way of performance...I'm guessing you are pulling a 6% grade at about 35 maybe 40mph?
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote