RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

2002 Winnebago Journey with a Cat loss of power

Just last week we were returning from Florida and our 2002 Winnebago Journey with a Cat 3126 330 HP motor just kept getting weaker until we reached Macon Georgia where it about would not make it up the hills. We have and extended warranty and good sams road side service.

We went to the nearest Freightliner dealer which was open until 4pm this was around noon. Only to find out they do not carry and Cat parts or work on them which i find very strange. Anyways they had me call another dealer to which i spoke with a tech. He said sounds like a turbo hose or precharge leak to which i took everything apart and checked everything i could think of no leaks or hose issues.

I called the Good Sams they recommended i check a few other things but neither mention fuel filter.

After settling in for the night at a roadside Campground we had made arrangements to call the nearest CAT dealer with Good Sams on Monday we were stuck for 2 more days.

Well i got out my phone and started reading the forums and found another post sounded exactly like what I was dealing with no lights or other issues drove around town fine just lost power on hills or interstate speed.

Well I carry a spare fuel filter decided i would change in the morning. Might as well do the cheap stuff first.

Sure enough that was the issue.

Thanks for saving me days and possible unnecessary expenses.

Blaine

boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for posting! I also carry spare fuel filters because of advice I've found on this and other forums. The first thing I thought after reading your description was "fuel filter." But as a semi-non-mechanical guy I probably would not have thought of that and gone looking for a mechanic the same as you did. Then I would have been really irritated with myself. Thanks again.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #3

Wow, the first thing any good mechanic with diesel experence, would do on a low power issue, is suspect fuel filters.

40 years messing with them. Always went out, with filters, on diesel calls.

Congrats, your a better mechanic then the ones you contacted.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #4

I had same issue until mine wouldnt even move, was a solenoid on injector pump. I wish it would of been fuel filter the solenoid was 300$ and cat charged 700 for install and diagnosis on my 1998 3126b
Coolman3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #5

I am a decent mechanic but have never really worked much with the diesel side of things. The funny part was had this been a gas engine i would have thought fuel filter but for whatever reason my brain does not seem to connect the same dots on diesel
Old 02-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carry a spare filter and a quart of transmission fluid. Fill replacement filter with transmission fluid before installing. Won't have to worry about priming.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Changing Fuel Filter

Ok...I have been reading on the CAT Forum about a loss of power issues on 3126 and C7 Cat Engines. One person suggested putting transmission fluid into the filter prior to installing the new filter. My question is, what is the proper procedure to install a new fuel filter on a 2004 CAT C7?
Dreamer1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2001 Cat 330 hp 3126 and the transmission fluid concept was given to me from a veteran diesel mechanic.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #9

I carry a 1 gallon fuel can with diesel, I fill the new filter with fuel and it always starts right up. I have had the loss of power issue and since then a few spare filters, a bowl and 1 gallon of fuel does the trick. 2003 Journey 3126 C7cat.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
I carry a 1 gallon fuel can with diesel, I fill the new filter with fuel and it always starts right up. I have had the loss of power issue and since then a few spare filters, a bowl and 1 gallon of fuel does the trick. 2003 Journey 3126 C7cat.
The issue with a gallon of pump fuel is that it is unfiltered. When you fill the filter, it goes on the wrong side of the filter.

You "could" be pouring contaminates into the injectors. A sealed quart of ATF is clean.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #11

i think the fuel you buy depending on location may or maynot be filtered.

I have noticed on the Semi side of things those pumps often are straight connected while on the car side the filter appears to be inline just like gas lines.

I had thought about that before and figured on the semi side those pumps move a ton of fuel and fast while on the auto side it is just about the same as gas powered.

I read multiple places that the cat will self prime by turn the key on for 30 seconds 3 times then starting.

I have never done this but read it multiple places
Old 02-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #12

I only have one filter which has a water separator also. I believe it is a two micron filter from Cat. When I change it out I fill the filter with diesel and it fires right up.

That reminds me I need to buy a spare one again.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The issue with a gallon of pump fuel is that it is unfiltered. When you fill the filter, it goes on the wrong side of the filter.

You "could" be pouring contaminates into the injectors. A sealed quart of ATF is clean.
Any issues with the ATF going into the motor?
Dreamer1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer1086 View Post
Any issues with the ATF going into the motor?
Other than it is not designed to be burned and the ash content, no. Think of the DPF. Two cycle oil would be a better choice in my opinion.

Tags
cat, journey, loss of power, power, winnebago