RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

2006 CAT C-9 knock on cold start?

2006 CAT C-9 (pre-emissions) has a loud knock or misfire on colder starts. Only happens when temps are below about 60 degrees and I haven't run the block heater, but it clears up within 10-15 seconds. See video below. (Please excuse how filthy the bus is, haven't had a chance to wash/wax since our last trip)

Is this normal?

I have tried to research online, but haven't found anything useful describing this short random knock/misfire.
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...

Copper2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #2

Video did not show up.

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #3

Does it take a while for the video to process before its available to be viewed? I made sure it was a compatible .mov format and only 49 MB.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper2007 View Post
2006 CAT C-9 (pre-emissions) has a loud knock or misfire on colder starts. Only happens when temps are below about 60 degrees and I haven't run the block heater, but it clears up within 10-15 seconds. See video below. (Please excuse how filthy the bus is, haven't had a chance to wash/wax since our last trip)

Is this normal?

I have tried to research online, but haven't found anything useful describing this short random knock/misfire.
Is this normal NO
Could be a bad injector then it clears up. How many miles do you run before an oil change and have you changed the fuel filters. These have the HEUI pump so they like clean oil, I try and not go over 5 to 6k.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #5

Uploading Video Again

Trying to upload video again.
Also link to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/MpIRW3Ms7OU
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...
Old 02-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Is this normal NO
Could be a bad injector then it clears up. How many miles do you run before an oil change and have you changed the fuel filters. These have the HEUI pump so they like clean oil, I try and not go over 5 to 6k.
2 stroker
I change the oil ~6k miles or once per year, which ever occurs first, with Rotella T6 & genuine CAT filters. I tried changing the fuel filters, but no change.
It did have an injector fail last year, but it was obvious as it would barely climb an overpass. The CAT dealer replaced it and it ran fine afterwards.

Can anyone recommend a service center in the greater Houston area? The last two CAT service centers I tried were not very honest.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
That link worked.
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper2007 View Post
I change the oil ~6k miles or once per year, which ever occurs first, with Rotella T6 & genuine CAT filters. I tried changing the fuel filters, but no change.
It did have an injector fail last year, but it was obvious as it would barely climb an overpass. The CAT dealer replaced it and it ran fine afterwards.

Can anyone recommend a service center in the greater Houston area? The last two CAT service centers I tried were not very honest.

Thanks.
I would try giving Cat on the forum here a PM and see what he thinks.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would suggest sending that video with your explanation to adept ape on YouTube at the same time make a $20 donation to him and I bet heíll give you his honest opinion Iíve always had very good luck using him in that fashion

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #10
Cat

It does sound like an injector knock, and its not normal. And your description about the conditions are the conditions that injector knocks are more common. Couldn't tell from video any puff of blue white smoke from the exhaust when it does knock?
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #11

Thanks.
It does smoke a little on start up, first black, then a little white for a few seconds, then it goes away.
I’ll try to contact Adept Ape and start looking for a CAT service center before my extended warranty runs out in a few months.
If it is another injector failure, is there anything they can do to test the HUEI pump? I’m a little concerned that this would be the second injector to fail in less 5k miles.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
Cat

Yes, they can check the HEUI, there are operational tests they can perform with a computer, actuation pressures. But that really won't show a problem unless its failed enough to affect pressures. A fairly easy way to check is to have them perform a Caterpillar recommended HEUI inspection. They remove the high pressure hose then clean the HEUI pump head and remove 6 small bolts and rotate the head. This allows them to inspect a solenoid- if there are metal Flakes on the solenoid then its starting to fail.
I will say normally when the HEUI starts to fail and cause the injectors to fail they don't knock. You just have a miss. Sometimes they do knock, and also usually it doesn't mater if the engine is cold or not.
Since it only doing it cold that indicates a injector fuel side problem. If you have already failed one injector it would be good idea to have them inspect the Heui. If more than one injector is failing on the fuel part of the injector it could be that the fuel system is/was improperly filtered, wrong filters, not changing soon enough, or improperly filling the fuel filter. Good Luck.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #13
Cat

The Caterpillar Special instructions media number is REHS3819. Illustration 4 is where they talk about the HEUI inspection. There is quite bit of information in this special instruction. Hope that helps. Safe Travels
Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
That sounded more like an external accessory drive knocking than an engine. Have you checked the AC and Alt and belt tensioner? Maybe try running with belt removed, before tearing into the engine.

It hard to tell from a video - but that is not the sound of an engine knock that I'm familiar with.

Did you check for stored codes?

Maybe I'll learn something new here.
Good luck

Tags
cat