Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Beaver View Post
Captjake1, I'm on my 3rd turbo, not including the original. 52k on it
Boo! I don't like to hear that! :(
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #16

In all of the discussion on replacing parts for the DPF I have not heard anyone say that they one of four sensors replaced. When they first worked on mine they replaced two of the four on the ARD system. Darn if I can remember which ones or what they did. All I remember was there were four and that was why my DPF was not regening on the auto or manually. I will have the whole system from CAT printed out for me and will try to get the sensors and what they do for you all. Before you all change oil that often it "might" be prudent to take an oil sample to cat to see if it really needs to be changed yet. Might save you all some money.
Later
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The most recent information I received from Cat regarding oil change frequency. I have the actual document he sent, but this is his condensed version:
"I have copied the schedules for both the C9S and the 9DG engines. These are the same but just so you can be certain you have the correct info. The criteria I recommend will always be the US Gallons of Fuel Burnt. Multiply this by your fuel mileage to get your oil change interval. If you get 5 miles to the gallon then 5 MPG x 2,000 (limit) = 10,000 miles.

Every 24 000 km (15 000 miles) or 7500 L (2000 US gal) of Fuel or 400 Service Hours or 6 Months

I am now shooting for 10K on the oil change...at least at this point. (I get around 7.5 X 2,000=15,000) 10K seemed way safer. Additionally, I read similar but they used the 1,500 number to calculate with (7.5 x 1,500 = 11,250) That is the rationale I used to come up with 10K for me.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #18

Cool thanks for that information. I wonder though about having the samples tested to find out if you really need one. I never did do that but because the service plan I have seems to be a real stickler on changing the oil before the first 30 days of the plan I wanted to se if it was necessary first. I have never had a sample tested before and seeing so it is only about $25, I am told, I thought it would be worth finding out first. Also it would give me the condition of my engine also. Man you are getting 7.5 miles per gallon? All I can say is wow!! I think the most I have gotten is 5.5mpg. I generally run my generator though so I know that affects my mpg. So I looked up to see what they replaced on my DPF. One 33411388 Sensor Temp $277.55 for the CAT part. I could of sworn though that thy replace two but the receipt says one so it is what it is. Later
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGAXLE View Post
Cool thanks for that information. I wonder though about having the samples tested to find out if you really need one. I never did do that but because the service plan I have seems to be a real stickler on changing the oil before the first 30 days of the plan I wanted to se if it was necessary first. I have never had a sample tested before and seeing so it is only about $25, I am told, I thought it would be worth finding out first. Also it would give me the condition of my engine also. Man you are getting 7.5 miles per gallon? All I can say is wow!! I think the most I have gotten is 5.5mpg. I generally run my generator though so I know that affects my mpg. So I looked up to see what they replaced on my DPF. One 33411388 Sensor Temp $277.55 for the CAT part. I could of sworn though that thy replace two but the receipt says one so it is what it is. Later
www.blackstone-labs.com/ These are good people and yes oil sample are worth it. Oil is the life blood of your engine and will tell you a lot about what's going inside your engine. Cheap insurance.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #20

I also think oil samples are a great tool to see what your motor is doing. I have mine sampled by Peterson Cat at a cost of $13.25 with a reply in just a few days. I have been doing samples for 35+ years and 20 years on my rigs.
When it comes to a Cat motor I would never go 10k miles on an oil change because of the HEUI pump. The injectors are oil fired and shear the oil and need clean oil and fuel use only Advanced Efficiency filters. I go 5k and when it come to the price of injectors, HEUI pump, and labor oil is cheap
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote