Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #1

3 year old fuel in a MH I am thinking of purchasing

I'm fairly sure a motorhome I am thinking of buying has 3 year old fuel in the tanks. Everything I read about ULSD is that it doesn't last like prior diesel we used to get. Something about its starts breaking down at about a month old. Plus alge etc. Is fuel polishing something I should look into immediately after a purchase? I poked around and it looked like they only filtered it to about 20 micron. But I read somewhere that the secondary cat filter was around 2 micron, was that a typo? Should I find a place that will filter it down to 2 micron, or at least closer to that?

Thanks In advance,

Bill
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 03:42 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have an estimate of how much fuel is onboard?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Algae growth usually happens in warmer southern climates, I have read.

Polishing will cost more than the fuel is worth I bet.

As bad as I would hate to dispose of fuel you might be time, money and aggravation ahead by draining it and replacing filters then adding new fuel.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #4

It looks like there maybe 50 gallons of fuel and Its in Southern California. I would think disposing of 50 gallons of diesel may be very difficult.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #5

The fuel may be useful, but it may need to be "polished". This is done by running it through a filter a few times. For example, using a pump and some hose and a filter you pull it out and dump it back into the tank in one process, but let it run for a few hours so the majority of contaminants are run through the filter. No need to move the fuel to another receptacle. Best done outdoors.

You can do it in the vehicle by filling the tank with new fuel and running it at limited power - a significant portion of the fuel is returned to the tank on a continuous basis. If you do it in the vehicle you will need to start with a new filter and change filters after a few hours. If you can't prime it and change the fuel filter you may need to get it done on an emergency basis at the side of the road!
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #6

By the way, you didn't mention what kind of coach, but you are best NOT running that fuel through the generator or Aquahot if you have one. Those should be drained, new filters added, and started with fresh fuel.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #7

Three year old fuel is most likely not a problem. Take a small sample and have a look. It should be quite obvious if it has a problem. If it looks clear I would use it up, then start fresh with new fuel and filters.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #8

^^^^^^
The most sensible post
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Three year old fuel is most likely not a problem. Take a small sample and have a look. It should be quite obvious if it has a problem. If it looks clear I would use it up, then start fresh with new fuel and filters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
^^^^^^
The most sensible post
Well,
To me, these two posts do make sense. Has ANYBODY ever seen or, had REAL LIFE experience with BAD diesel fuel that has aged like what the OP is contending with? I've seen bag gasoline in my past and the results of age on it but, I've never seen aged diesel and have been around it for years.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just run it and change filters a little sooner.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
I'm fairly sure a motorhome I am thinking of buying has 3 year old fuel in the tanks. Everything I read about ULSD is that it doesn't last like prior diesel we used to get. Something about its starts breaking down at about a month old. Plus alge etc. Is fuel polishing something I should look into immediately after a purchase? I poked around and it looked like they only filtered it to about 20 micron. But I read somewhere that the secondary cat filter was around 2 micron, was that a typo? Should I find a place that will filter it down to 2 micron, or at least closer to that?
Thanks In advance,
Bill
Quote:
It looks like there maybe 50 gallons of fuel and Its in Southern California. I would think disposing of 50 gallons of diesel may be very difficult.
BigBillSD
There are a lot of MHs for sale without 50 gallons of 3 year old fuel in the tank(s)..... why not simply think of buying one of them?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #12

Appears this was all moot, the owner told me he got a deposit from someone.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
The fuel may be useful, but it may need to be "polished". This is done by running it through a filter a few times. For example, using a pump and some hose and a filter you pull it out and dump it back into the tank in one process, but let it run for a few hours so the majority of contaminants are run through the filter. No need to move the fuel to another receptacle. Best done outdoors.

You can do it in the vehicle by filling the tank with new fuel and running it at limited power - a significant portion of the fuel is returned to the tank on a continuous basis. If you do it in the vehicle you will need to start with a new filter and change filters after a few hours. If you can't prime it and change the fuel filter you may need to get it done on an emergency basis at the side of the road!
For further clarification, in a gas Scenario, the contaminants will probably be at the bottom of the fuel tank. What about diesel:
1. Bottom of tank
2. Top of tank
3. Suspended
4. Or all of the above
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Appears this was all moot, the owner told me he got a deposit from someone.
There are a lot of MH on the market. And with the 2017's arriving, there will be a lot more.

Take your time and keep looking. Don't let this one bother you at all.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel