Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #57
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Oil is unknown, just bought this coach, dealer said it was recently changed, the filters are new looking and the oil looks clean on the dip stick.

I change it anyway soon.
You say the oil looks clean.....

Isn't the oil black with the typical diesel engine soot?

My 3126 soots the oil rather soon after an oil change and it changes to black. I use Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 year round. My engine has never required the oil to be topped up and the engine is clean on the outside (no oil leaks).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #58
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
10.8 is without a doubt, outstanding. Mine couldn't get 10.8 sitting in its parking place right here at home.
Scott
Same here Fire Up.

BTW, last time I fueled was in Ohio. I paid less than $3.00/gallon.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I'm simply stating the fact that my coach/engine is considerably louder with the Aero installed than it was prior.
Scott, your install looks good, just odd the way they made the pipes go across the whole coach and exit the opposite side of the exhaust manifold that will not be as efficient perhaps.

I wonder if that may contribute to lack of poorer mpg than it could be, but I'm no expert, just a guess.

I guess where we disagree is yours is considerably louder than stock mine is not (considerably)

And "hes4all" agrees on that point

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
You say the oil looks clean.....

Isn't the oil black with the typical diesel engine soot?.
I know exactly what you mean, my last diesel was like that, this oil is not yet that black......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I have the Aero XL on my ISL 400 and it is louder than stock. I knew it would be by just looking at it. But it is not that loud to where it bothers me and my buddy who RV's with me says he can't hear it when he follows me in his coach.
If it helps with MPG then it was worth it in my opinion?
Agree

Merry Christmas guys
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
Ill take the Cat sounding like its suppose too and better mileage, you want quiet get a gas job! Lol beside at near idle they all sound the same diesel that is! More power!!! Ho ho ho!
No.. I don't want a gas job, I just want a quiet diesel motor. More power is easily achieved by buying a bigger motor to began with. Never understood buying a 4 cylinder and then spending money on all the gadget items trying to make it run with a V8. I guess we all have our different beliefs and ways. You go to your church, and I'll go to mine.
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post

No.. I don't want a gas job, I just want a quiet diesel motor. More power is easily achieved by buying a bigger motor to began with. Never understood buying a 4 cylinder and then spending money on all the gadget items trying to make it run with a V8. I guess we all have our different beliefs and ways. You go to your church, and I'll go to mine.
I'm not sure replacing a muffler is spending money on gadget items, it needs one.

Merry Christmas!
CAT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #62

Foretravel Owners Club
From the sound of the replies, seems the only solution is to install two restrictive mufflers, that would help some engines.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Made me laugh out loud!

Maybe the answer lyes in post #49 here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/2000...-185763-4.html
Old 12-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
Iwillbeit,
I pretty much agree with you Sir. I don't know who's involved in specking out motor homes, chassis specs, and the like but, I too would give a lot for a larger motor, IN OUR SAME COACH!!!! In that 27,000 lb. (curb weight) coach, the CAT C-7 330 HP engine is fine for FLAT GROUND and, even towing our 5300 lb. (curb weight) GMC Sierra Extended cab 4x4, but, when it even SEES a grade, it starts slowing down.

Of all the research I've done, I've only found that Country Coach, Travel Supreme and, Alpine have made what I call smaller coaches, with larger engines. I've seen all three brands, in a 34' with 400 and 450 HP engines. The rest of the manufacturers always under power their coaches, in my opinion. I mean, I've seen 39' and 40' coaches with 330 HP engines. Geeze, talk about under powered. But, trying to squeeze a few more here, a tad there out of an engine that's close to it's peak in HP and torque output already, I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

I do have a friend that has a '98 Fleetwood Discovery 36' that came with the 275 HP Cummins and, he later installed the Banks kit for it and, basically, it's everything I can do to keep up with him, on grades or flat. That kit, on his anyway, made a serious difference. Sure can't figure out why CAT won't accept a kit like that.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #65

It's not a bigger HP engine that will get you up the hill it's torque. The ability to move weight at a constant speed not how fast you can accelerate to a speed.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #66

Are you trying to tell us that two coaches one with 250hp and one with 350 hp will go up a hill the same speed due to some other factor? I don't think so.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post

Are you trying to tell us that two coaches one with 250hp and one with 350 hp will go up a hill the same speed due to some other factor? I don't think so.
I'm telling you that It's torque that is the factor and depending on the gear ratio of the transmission and rear end that creates foot pounds of torque to the wheels that pushes you along. It's not HP.

Horsepower doesn't exist, it's a mathematical number from rpm, torque and a constant.

Torque is practical unit, like lbs, grams or miles its measurable, HP is a theory unit, it can't be used directly torque can.

Take a race car high HP gets up to speed fast but low torque can't pull Hugh loads, take a diesel truck low HP high torque huge pulling power. Farm tractor, a 100 HP tractor is considered pretty big and can pull huge implements through heavy soils because of torque.

Just saying!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
It's not a bigger HP engine that will get you up the hill it's torque. The ability to move weight at a constant speed not how fast you can accelerate to a speed.
The relationship between torque and HP is hard to explain and understand. Torque is a measurement of twisting force and is responsible for acceleration. HP is what gets you up the hill. That's why you climb in what ever gear puts you up at your HP peak.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

The relationship between torque and HP is hard to explain and understand. Torque is a measurement of twisting force and is responsible for acceleration. HP is what gets you up the hill. That's why you climb in what ever gear puts you up at your HP peak.
HP is about speed, how fast you accelerate, 0-60 time not getting you up the hill, my Cat does not run at HP peak to pull me at 55mph up a grade. If it starts dropping that speed it drops a gear for more torque to push it up. If you have ever noticed tractor trailers with 500, 600 HP engines aren't screaming up hills it's not the HP that gets them to the top it's the torque.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #70

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Jimbo2013 said:
Scott, your install looks good, just odd the way they made the pipes go across the whole coach and exit the opposite side of the exhaust manifold that will not be as efficient perhaps.

I wonder if that may contribute to lack of poorer mpg than it could be, but I'm no expert, just a guess.

Jimbo
I am confused by last sentence. Less efficient is better gas mileage??
Paul[/QUOTE]
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote