Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #15

Also using the block heater and battery boost in cold wheather is easier on the starter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #16

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Use the block heater, that's exactly what it's for.
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post
Also using the block heater and battery boost in cold wheather is easier on the starter.
Just a follow up:

Got up about 4, to go to bathroom, turned on block heater.
When we started the engine, cycled ignition 3 times for glow plugs (?), Used battery boost and she fired right up!
All was good.

Thanks for ideas,

WM Mayberry
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoejeep View Post
I’ve had no trouble starting my 3126 down into the teens, without running the block heater and no black smoke or hard starting. I run Rotella T6 5W-40 engine oil for easier winter starts. We typically leave Northern Minnesota end of January for Arizona, so I set myself up for winter weather by leaving fuel at about 1/2 empty until #1 diesel becomes available about December 1, then filling the tank with straight #1 to give myself 50/50 mix. If I had electric in the storage shed I would certainly use the block heater!
Do you know that CAT recommends not to use multi-viscosity oil...
SKI COACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #19
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI COACH View Post
Do you know that CAT recommends not to use multi-viscosity oil...
Caterpillar has recommended multigrade and advised against using anything but multigrade oil for a long time. Where are you getting that information?
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #20
Cat

Hard starting can be the sign of injectors getting worn. In fact that is the first sign of injector wear, hard starting. Using the block heater will help. Make sure you are using the correct fuel filter for your engine. If not using CAT fuel filter make who ever you are buying them from is using the correct crossover. And make sure if you or your tech is prefilling the filter they are doing it correctly- because they aren't that will wipeout a set injectors fast.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Caterpillar has recommended multigrade and advised against using anything but multigrade oil for a long time. Where are you getting that information?
I have twin 3126 engines in my boat of 12 years...

The table in Caterpillar's Fluid recommendations bulletin shows that both SAE 30 or 40 are acceptable. The difference depends upon the ambient temperatures you operate in. I am a bit further north than Tom but essentially at the same temperature level. I use SAE 40 just because I think the heavier oil is a better choice for the high summer temps we get in Florida, but both are acceptable

The Following is from Cat publication SEBU6251-13 which has been superseded a time or 2 but is still valid:

Generally, use the highest oil viscosity that is available to meet the requirement for the temperature at start-up.
Refer to the “Lubricant Viscosities for Ambient Temperatures” tables for guidance. The oils that have the higher oil viscosity will maintain the highest possible oil film thickness.

Ambient Temperatures
MIN MAX
SAE 30 32 104

SAE 40 41 122

I am not likely to be doing much boating below 41˚F and we do see temperatures at or near 100˚ in the summer so it isn't much of a stretch to see than my engines are located where the ambient temperatures easily reach 120˚ or more in the summer. Therefore, I figure that SAE 40 is a better fit for me than SAE 30. Remember, we don't have a lay up period….our boats stay in the water and are used year round.
SKI COACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #22
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI COACH View Post
I have twin 3126 engines in my boat of 12 years...

The table in Caterpillar's Fluid recommendations bulletin shows that both SAE 30 or 40 are acceptable. The difference depends upon the ambient temperatures you operate in. I am a bit further north than Tom but essentially at the same temperature level. I use SAE 40 just because I think the heavier oil is a better choice for the high summer temps we get in Florida, but both are acceptable

The Following is from Cat publication SEBU6251-13 which has been superseded a time or 2 but is still valid:

Generally, use the highest oil viscosity that is available to meet the requirement for the temperature at start-up.
Refer to the “Lubricant Viscosities for Ambient Temperatures” tables for guidance. The oils that have the higher oil viscosity will maintain the highest possible oil film thickness.

Ambient Temperatures
MIN MAX
SAE 30 32 104

SAE 40 41 122

I am not likely to be doing much boating below 41˚F and we do see temperatures at or near 100˚ in the summer so it isn't much of a stretch to see than my engines are located where the ambient temperatures easily reach 120˚ or more in the summer. Therefore, I figure that SAE 40 is a better fit for me than SAE 30. Remember, we don't have a lay up period….our boats stay in the water and are used year round.
This is a little misleading for people using engines on the road and heavy equipment . SEBU does give that information BUT it is a Specialty oils for marine engines. So this is a specially formulated oil marine oil. see attached.
When these engines 3116 3126 (before they were HEUIs) first came out Caterpillar had a lot of problems with the top and secondary ring getting heavily built up with oil residue. This also occurred on the large Cat engines 3406-3408-3412-3416 and caused heavy carbon build up on the valves. Caterpillar has recommended nothing but multi weight oils for all of their on highway and heavy duty engines for along time. Because of the above problems and improved fuel mileage
Specialty oils for marine engines are a different animal. Safe Travels-- Safe Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marine engine.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	261646  
Old 09-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #23

We had 10 Cat powered machines including 3412s and the newer 1000 HP, C27s.

All used multiweight oil.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote