Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
3126 coolant pump replacement

02 DutchStar, Cat 3126 in a Freightliner chassis, side radiator.

When I started up this morning my water pump decided to whistle a [not] happy tune. Sounded like a belt slip at first, but all belts were moving ok. Shut down and restart a couple of times, but the screech remained. When I tried the spray bottle test the water pump pulley was sizzling hot, even before the engine was up to temp.

So, bearing shot, replacement time. There are a couple of well reviewed truck shops here. We’re Fulltimers, on the road in travel mode, in Lamar, CO. I have neither a place to work on it, nor the inclination to take on the job in 90+ degree heat, so I’ll pay.

Can anyone hazard an estimate of shop time for this? Haven’t talked to anyone yet, don’t even know the local rates. Just wondering how much time a reasonable professional would need for this job.

Thanks, all, and Happy Father’s Day!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I can't help you with shop hours question, this video does it all in 9 minutes.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I can't help you with shop hours question, this video does it all in 9 minutes......

Thanks for that... I was planning to poke around YouTube this evening. Looks pretty straightforward. Even with prep and clean up time, a couple of hours ought to be plenty for a pro.
2004 Element
Old 06-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Thanks for that... I was planning to poke around YouTube this evening. Looks pretty straightforward. Even with prep and clean up time, a couple of hours ought to be plenty for a pro.
Well,
That's what you would HOPE for. There's been a couple of threads on here where the water pump tensioning bolts have seized and broke off. Those can be a nightmare and, your "two hour" job can turn into several hours of pure pain. Now, just how common is a situation like this, not a clue. All you can hope for is everything goes as planned, with no issues. I just did it on mine. I did the fan bearing, belts, hoses, twin-thermostats, and a few other odds and ends. My job took me days because I was in no hurry and, mine is also a rear radiator.

So, hope yours goes well and you have no issues.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Interesting, I had to replace the C-7 in my RV a couple of years ago. They exchanged some parts including the water pump. I asked about that and was told the water pumps are bullet proof. Well many are but yours wasn't, sorry to hear that especially since my original water pump has over 170K miles on it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Interesting, I had to replace the C-7 in my RV a couple of years ago. They exchanged some parts including the water pump. I asked about that and was told the water pumps are bullet proof. Well many are but yours wasn't, sorry to hear that especially since my original water pump has over 170K miles on it.
Hey Bob,
If you're speaking at me, yeah, I keep hearing that diesels are zillion mile engines and so is all the parts on them. But, as reported, my water pump went out at or around 80K. And the really, really good part, it showed it's problem RIGHT IN MY RV GARAGE! I went to move the coach out to clean the floor and what the he... was this? A very large puddle of PINK on the floor. Hmmmmm. Not good. So, using my TV taught NCIS investigative talents, I tasted the PINK and, yep, it's anti-freeze. So, out came everything. The repair and replacement of all items went smoothly.
Scott
Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
.....I asked about that and was told the water pumps are bullet proof.....

Yeah, well, not 100% bulletproof. But mine went 16 years and 79K miles. Interestingly, when the tow was hooking up the pump was still turning, albeit screeching. At the repair shop I started up to back it into the desired work position. It was running for about a minute or so, and in that time the pulley seized, rock solid.
2004 Element
Old 06-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #8

Betty and I did it on the side of the road in Mexico by ourselves but the main problem for us was the radiator and CAC that had to be removed first by two old wrinklies.
Side radiator would be a piece of cake.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Betty and I did it on the side of the road in Mexico by ourselves but the main problem for us was the radiator and CAC that had to be removed first by two old wrinklies.
Side radiator would be a piece of cake.
Wow Tony - that's a story I 'd like to hear in more detail (over a couple of beers).
You must have a fully stocked mechanic's workshop in your coach.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Wow Tony - that's a story I 'd like to hear in more detail (over a couple of beers).
You must have a fully stocked mechanic's workshop in your coach.
You betcha. I too would like to hear that. Getting my water pump off took a whole lot of tools and some pretty good patience. Getting my radiator and CAC out of our coach is not too tough. Primarily 'cause the rear grill is removable which, makes for a larger opening through which, both of those can be more easily removed. But, even though I remove them, one at a time, it still takes a couple of gorillas to do it. The wife would never be able to handle the awkwardness and weight. That's nice work Tony.
Scott

Tags
ace, replace, replacement