RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

3208 Cat2

Please
I have been told to stay away from the V8 cat engines.
comments please !!!!!!!

Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
Cat

Not my favorite engine. Most tended to use oil-even low hour/mileage. When started up in cold weather they tend to smoke until warmed up. If you keep them full of oil and kept them warm they did Ok.

Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am a diesel engine rebuilder. It's not my favorite engine either. Short life, oil consumption are the two biggest problems. Both can be addressed with improvements at time of rebuild, but...... there's a lot better engines out there.

Jim Sanderson
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I concur with Jim. I had a few of these in large tandem dump trucks when I was in the construction business. After the initial experience I moved to better engines. They are designed with a short life cycle. They do not have liners like the larger engines therefore require boring to rebuild. They use oil due to the factory piston design which only uses 2 rings per piston. My life cycle in construction service (which is severe duty) was between 160K and 180K miles before complete overhaul. this was with regular P/M and oil and filter changes, also the engines each had 5 gallon luberfiner's on them.

Larger Cat as well as cummins and detroit series 60 engines with liners are far superior in longevity and design qaulity. 500K before bearings only was no problem in severe service. That was my experience with both 3208 and 3208T engines. Cat heavy equipment also used a 4 cylinder version of this engine called a 3204. It suffered from the same problems, 6-7K hours was MAX life before overhaul. That is unless it had been overhauled before with aftermarket 3 ring pistons along with being bored out and sleeves installed.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote