Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

3208t needs more power any ideas

I have a 1989 Country Coach with a 300hp 3208T cat and an Allison set in a Gillig chassis I have plans to pull a stacker trailer with a drag car inside roughly 14k pounds. Has anyone done any performance mods like injectors, turbo, or pump? I just put straight 4 inch exhaust and deleted muffler
55chevy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Check and see where the waste gate control gets it's boost pressure, if it is directly
from the turbo output you can move it to the intake manifold and plug the line going
to the turbo.
I suggest you not try to remove the line to the turbo as the fitting normally breaks
and that is a lot of work to fix that problem.
Above suggestion is a cheap 7 or 8 dollar fix that will increase performance for you.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Check and see where the waste gate control gets it's boost pressure, if it is directly
from the turbo output you can move it to the intake manifold and plug the line going
to the turbo.
I suggest you not try to remove the line to the turbo as the fitting normally breaks
and that is a lot of work to fix that problem.
Above suggestion is a cheap 7 or 8 dollar fix that will increase performance for you.
Good Idea Thanks! How much boost will that add and how much boost does it get now?
55chevy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #4

J hooking the gate is bad idea without the means to monitor boost pressure and exhaust manifold pressure. Check the specs on the tranny to see how much torque it can take.
I think you will have an overheating problem without further mods. As you know from racing, one thing leads to another.

wb7auk, did you change your fuel pin to a Denny or do any pump work on your 5.9?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Good Idea Thanks! How much boost will that add and how much boost does it get now?
With everything working right your engine should have close to 25 psi right now
with the simple mod the intake should be 28 to 29 psi.
The newer engines had this done by the factory to correct for the pressure drop between hot air from the turbo and cooler air that enters the engine after it has
been cooled by the CAC and other losses.
This mod does not stop the waste gate from operating like some truckers have done.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
wb7auk, did you change your fuel pin to a Denny or do any pump work on your 5.9?

No I have not done any pump or fuel pin work on the Cummins.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #7

I had had a Bluebird with the 3208. Your engine cannot be succesfully modified. Although there are Marine versions running more HP with the 3208, in a MH cooling becomes a problem. Which Allison is in your unit? Many will not handle increased power. There are BB owners towing some heavy trailers as is but you need lots of patience.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

You are going to be asking a lot from a relatively small engine. Caution would be advisable. If it doesn't have it drain the transmission and refill with TES295 spec synthetic fluid. If it doesn't have a exhaust brake add one. Stopping will also be a issue as well as controlling your speed down hill. That engine was never intended to pull what you plan to pull.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

For some reason I have never seen a 3208 with an exhaust brake. Apparently they do not work on that engine. I have seen tranny retarders, and electric driveshaft brakes. Here is a cut and paste with an explanation:

Pac brakes work better on some engines than others. Example, a Cat 3126 can withstand back pressure of 55 PSI, but my 3208TA will only withstand 25PSI. I can only assume that my system does not provide as much braking as the 3126. I feel very little help from the system, and I would think that the low amount of back pressure a 3208 can withstand is the reason. Do you agree? Thanks. PS. I have a Pac-brake chart on engines should anyone wish to learn more on their engine.

Our Bluebird had a 3208 and I was advised that an exhaust brake would not provide any stopping power
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #10

It depends on a number of things whether a Pacbrake will work on a 3208T. It requires a specific camshaft and lifters and a lockup torque converter transmission. The 4 speed Allisons like the AT 542-543 do not have a lockup converter. You see those transmissions mostly in garbage trucks.

If you have the right internal engine components and the right transmission (5 speed) one can work although not very well. That engine is limited to 25 psi exhaust backpressure and that is not a lot. My C-7 is 40 psi.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power