Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #1

330 Cat hard to start, idles rough,low power and will die

I have a 330 Cat in a Newmar coach that was driven last week. No problems. I went out Sunday to take the coach for a bath and it has extremely hard to start. Got it started but had rough idle and would die. I replaced fuel filter and no change at all. It will always start but you have crank on it and it will never idle for long before it dies. If you get it above an idle it will run but very slow throttle response and seems to miss at times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rhaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #2

Do you use a fuel treatment? If not, run some Power Service cetane boost treatment through it. Mix at 1 qt per 50 gal. NAPA sells this product.
NormDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like air lock and fuel starvation. Did you fill your fuel filter with fuel before you screwed it on? That, .....or do you have a filter "purge" pump on your engine and did you used it? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If the above suggestions are address and you still have the problem, check the oil pressure; is it at its normal value? If not it could be a HEUI pump failure.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Disconnect the IAP sensor. If it is an erratic sensor, it should start about go into limp mode- Will not go over 1700RPM.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. If you primer the fuel system when you replaced the fuel filter and are having the same problem, may be something in the fuel supply line(s) may be loose or worn through. Also most CAT and Cummins diesels have two fuel filters, a primary and a secondary. Did you change them both? Best of luck in finding a solution. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All good advice. If after ruling all that out, it may come down to injector(s). Only way to know for sure is take it to a service center that can do a cylinder cut out for each one. If a cylinder replacement is needed have them check you fuel rail for babbit. If present it would point to HEUI pump.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #8

Since I didn't read that you had just changed the filter(s) and it had been running fine it is most likely getting air in the fuel system some where?? I would start at the fuel tank and work towards the Engine.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

Throwing spaghetti at the wall here. I had similar symptoms with my C9. Turned out to be the temp sending unit for the ECU (there are 2, 1 for gauge 1 for ECU). That forced engine into a limp/cold mode. No idea why it would run so incredibly crappy in limp mode, but it did.

Mine would be hard to start, I couldn't run the RPM's up and if I put it in gear it died.

Now, mine was JUST about to leave me stranded on the side of the road. My last resort solution at the time (changed both fuel filters already) before calling a wrecker was to add oil. My dipstick is calibrated and at the time showed at the fill line, ~3qts low. No expert in the world can explain what happened next, but I added oil and it started up fine and drove great to service center. They tried to diagnose as if an injector or huei failure was occurring, but that all looked fine. Replaced a sensor and problem solved.

Chris.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Throwing spaghetti at the wall here. I had similar symptoms with my C9. Turned out to be the temp sending unit for the ECU (there are 2, 1 for gauge 1 for ECU). That forced engine into a limp/cold mode. No idea why it would run so incredibly crappy in limp mode, but it did.

Mine would be hard to start, I couldn't run the RPM's up and if I put it in gear it died.

Now, mine was JUST about to leave me stranded on the side of the road. My last resort solution at the time (changed both fuel filters already) before calling a wrecker was to add oil. My dipstick is calibrated and at the time showed at the fill line, ~3qts low. No expert in the world can explain what happened next, but I added oil and it started up fine and drove great to service center. They tried to diagnose as if an injector or huei failure was occurring, but that all looked fine. Replaced a sensor and problem solved.

Chris.
Fuel Temp sensor by the primer/filter?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #11

No, engine temp sensor. One feeds the dash gauge one feeds ECU directly. Dash showed normal temps but ECU had no idea what engine temp was.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #12

Update

The coach is up and running again and it was not as bad as I had envisioned. The Cat had an engine oil pressure switch that was bad. Much better news than the pump being out and way easier on the pocketbook.
rhaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #13

Thanks for wrapping up your post, I'm happy that the repair wasn't a big hit $$ wise; and I'll keep that particular sensor failure in mind if , my Cat develops similar problems.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Glad you got it repaired. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, power