Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
330 Cat need more power...

2003 Gulfstream Friendship Quattro 4-slides. Unit Serial: 58-4557, Model 8408 FS, Vin 4UZAAHAK73CL66407. Freightliner with 330 Cat.

Is there a way to boost power on hills, with a chip or a high pressure blower?
John Pacello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #2

Try mp8 tuner and Aero 50/50 XL muffler. I have considered these. Have not done either but there are other members that have and have positive results.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Cat

Not sure of your radiator setup. But Freightliner told me 330 horse was as high as you can go because of the cooling system on a rear radiator. Side radiator is good for higher horsepower , more surface area available.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Not sure of your radiator setup. But Freightliner told me 330 horse was as high as you can go because of the cooling system on a rear radiator. Side radiator is good for higher horsepower , more surface area available.
Exactly what we found with our 2000 DSDP on Spartan, side radiator. It was 300 hp but I could get it uprated to 330 for ONLY $2,200! Most of that was to keep the warranty. Decided against it!
BTW, the 3126 in marine use (unlimited cooling) can be rated up to 450 hp if there's some way to cool it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Mine is a side radiator 3126 and cat shop didn't want to do anything to pump up power. Kudos goes to cummins in that area for sure. Have friends that love their Cummins. I am washy washy in considering the mp8 and aero. They claim a 30% increase in power and torque I think. I will say that I had exhaust manifold replaced due to a crack and it seems to have more power now. There is a long hill near my home with a 7 % grade and I pull it 3 to 5 mph faster now.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pacello View Post
2003 Gulfstream Friendship Quattro 4-slides. Unit Serial: 58-4557, Model 8408 FS, Vin 4UZAAHAK73CL66407. Freightliner with 330 Cat.

Is there a way to boost power on hills, with a chip or a high pressure blower?
Call Jon Brazel at Brazel RV performance. One of iRV2 sponsors. 360-736-9494 Ask him want he can do for you. they are located in Centralia wa

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Call Jon Brazel at Brazel RV performance. One of iRV2 sponsors. 360-736-9494 Ask him want he can do for you. they are located in Centralia wa

jack r
x2!!!! The are open and honest @ "chipping" but an aero turbine exhaust and an AFE air filter would be a good steep. Realizing you are limited to 890 ' #s of torque.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Had Brazels do mine MP-8. Upped to 394 HP and 1050 torque from the 330 and 850 this is at the 15% setting. Plus picked up a mile to the gallon. trick is don;t use the xtra HP when not needed, drive like one should. Have the rear radiator and no problem.

LEN
Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you do decide to go with a "chip" you may want to look into an exhaust gas pyrometer.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #10

I have an MP-8 I just took out of the coach I'm selling. 2005 Cat C7 350 HP. I only used it on 15% but even though I had cooling issues (rear radiator) I had the same issues without it. Best $500.00 I ever spent. Went up a full gear in most places pulling Million Dollar Highway.

JJ
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #11

My C-7 came with the 350hp engine from Spartan on a Mountain Master chassis. I tow an H3 Hummer (almost 5k lbs.) and I'm happy to say I almost always have more than enough engine. My engine with a huge rear radiator runs at 195-203 degrees. On a long pull on a hot day, it has never gone to 207, but never higher. This is my first motorhome and only after our purchase did I find out the 350 was appreciably better and noticeably more robust than the 330. Our next motorhome will probably have a tag and 450 hp with all the usable torque I can get. But then I'll probably miss the fuel economy possible on the 350. We can't have everything, I guess!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #12

I am a bit sceptical that Freightliner would say 330 hp was max for the rear radiator cooling system on their chassis. They put a C-7 350 in my XCR chassis and I have a MP-8 that is always turned all the way up and never have cooling issues.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #13

Well Gents,
I've also contemplated the MP-8 chip now for quite a while. And, as usual, I see good reports and not so good. As for the Aero 5050XL Stainless muffler, well, I've had it on there now for around 18 months and, well, it there and, it makes considerably more noise than the stock one. Does it do anything for me, nothing I can write home about. I've pulled Jeep Rubicon, a Honda CRV and now pulling a 2011 GMC Sierra Extended Cab 4x4 and, to me, the power feels the same as it did without the Aero.

I drive around 60-62 for about 98% of the time. On our recent trip from the San Diego are to the Bishop/Mammoth area and back, I averaged (at least on the trip computers since it's so damn hard to get an accurate refill of the tank 'cause it cuts off ten zillion times while filling I can never tell when it's really full) around 6.7 - 7 mpg. So there is DEFINITELY NO MPG IMPROVEMENTS! My coach used to be overloaded due to the fact that I was "carrying" a Honda Goldwing on the back of it but, I decided to change that tactic. Now, we tow a truck with the Wing in the back of it so, the coach is no longer overloaded.

The temp on that grade, just north of Bishop climbed to 210 and the outside ambient temp was at around 85. As many of you read my posts on the CAC/Radiator clean and replace, my radiator is brand new and a copper/brass one, not the aluminum one. And, all of the fins are spotlessly clean. So, the "Hoopla" in that Aero muffler is just that to me HOOPLA!

I would have to see "MY" coach ( not just another CAT or someone elses coach) on a dyno before and after the install of that muffler to GARANTY me of any positive results, and not just "seat of the pants" feelings. I'm not bitter, just as usual, disillusioned about the "Potential" results. This is the primary reason I've not "jumped" into purchasing the MP-8 chip. About the only way I'd purchase that chip is, if we drove to Brazels, then had them dyno the rig before and after the install of that chip to see what kind of results were posted. Then, if it worked as "Proclaimed", I'd do it but, if not, they could remove it, I'd pay them for their time and move on.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #14

Scott,

The MP-8 DOES work as advertised. You will not see any fuel mileage improvement if you are like me and having the extra power use it.(-:

There are thousands of them going up and down the Interstate highways hauling freight. I quizzed several Cat engine shops before I bought mine and they all said they see them all the time and have heard good reports from the truckers and no reports of any engine damage caused by them. Based upon that I bought mine. It is a two plug connection to install and the hardest part of the install is running the extension control cord from the engine to the dash. Mine stays turned all the way up.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, power