Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

6,400 miles, 45 days, 20 states, Good job C-7

Gents,
We just completed a 6,400 mile trip around most of the U.S. We covered 20 states and all in all, about 45 days of being gone from home. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. It ran the entire distance, towing our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 which, was carrying our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on a Rampage lift/carrier. So, we drug about 6,700 lbs with us. The "Loop", which started in Lake Havasu City AZ, headed up all the way into Montana and N Dakota. We headed east on over to the Makinaw bridge in MN. From there, down to about Toledo OH, backwards a bit to Elkhart IN, then east again, all the way to Niagara Falls NY. From there, we hung a right and headed south.
We checked out Gettysburg and, Williamsport PA for the Little League World Series area. From there, down to Nashville. Even attended a show at the Grand Ole Opry. From there, on over to AR, TX, NM, and back home. That C-7, hauling 30K lbs worth of Motorhome and, towing 6,700 lbs of toad and bike, did a phenomenal job. We encountered some grades here and there and, it rose in temp a bit but, nothing to get alarmed about. It didn't use any oil at all. It now has 78,000 miles on it. I did an oil/filter/fuel/filter change before we left and, based on how hard it had to work on much of this trip, it gets another change of oil, fuel and filters almost immediately.

My only issue for the trip was the dash air. It worked ok before we started this trip but, that was a while ago. When we pulled out of our driveway to start the trip, the outside ambient temp was right at 100 degrees. Well, on came the dash air. Nope, not happening. So, I knew we'd encounter warm conditions for well over 1/2 the intended mileage but, I didn't want to take any time to put the rig in a shop for A/C service. So, when we got a chance, we stopped in Walmart, got some 134A and sealant and, I'd put some in about every few days.

That did a pretty good job of helping keep us fairly cool. Yep, there's a leak somewhere. I'll get on that soon. I don't like malfunctioning stuff.

I've done all the maintenance/repairs/alterations/modifications on this engine/coach since we bought it, about 6 years ago. It had 40K on the clock back then. As stated, it's close to 80K now. The major work done was pulling the radiator and CAC about 4-5 years ago to replace the radiator, clean the CAC and, change a couple of belts and bearings. No, I did not change the fan bearing 'cause I could not get those dumb-a$$, TINY, Allen flat head, 1/4" screws out of the fan bearing pulley cover. I tried and tried but, they weren't coming out. So I left them.

Well, with this kind of treatment and, mileage, I'm thinking it's about time to pull that radiator and CAC again and, do whatever it takes to replace that bearing. While in there, do the same with the belts, change all that wearable stuff. Maybe even do the "regulators" (thermostats for us normal DIY types).

But, I gotta tell all of ya, that C-7 did just great. There's been a few threads about the reliability of the C-7 on here and maybe other forums but, we sure are happy with ours.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #2

This is cool to hear. We bought our airstream cutter with 45k on the clock now 52k. I do the maintenance as well and hope we get 100k more out of it. So far it's needed the iap valve and sensor replaced and I've cleaned the rad and cac as well as replaced all of the belts and thermostats, plus the usual oil changes and fuel filters etc.
NathanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gents,
...No, I did not change the fan bearing 'cause I could not get those dumb-a$$, TINY, Allen flat head, 1/4" screws out of the fan bearing pulley cover. I tried and tried but, they weren't coming out. So I left them.
Scott
Well Scott, I know you are a type of person who keeps things to himself, but could you let loose just a little and tell us what you really think of those screws? I'm just not sure if you like them or not

Great news on the trouble free trip. That is the way they all should be! Good luck, at least as good as on this one, on all future trips!

BTW, if you do remove the radiators take and post pictures again. I just love seeing you work. Also, if you do make friends with those screws and get them to cooperate and come out, make sure you post the solution because I'm sure I will be in that same boat in the future.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

Hey Big D 9,
Yeah, I usually WIN when it comes to stubborn bolts, nuts etc. But, those little buggers just got the best of me. And, for the life of me, I can't figure why CAT would do and or design such-a thing. I mean, the screw threads I'm pretty sure are 1/4-20. The head diameter is around 1/2" or so but, it's totally flush with the pulley face. So, all you get to work with is an Allen wrench that's I think, about 3/16", maybe 1/8", can't remember.

Now, ever since I did that work, I've seen and read many threads about fan bearing replacement. Most, didn't have as much trouble as I did. But, If I recall, one fella used the tactic that I'm gonna use the next time. And that is, he welded a nut onto the flat surface of each head. Well, I can't remember any more particulars but, if I do recall, he walked those screws right out after that. Could be the combination of the heat of welding and, the fact that he could put more torque on getting them out because of being able to put a WRENCH on them instead of the little Allen wrench.

If I also recall, that entire plate assembly, which contains that fan bearing, can be removed and, taken to the bench for more extensive work, if needed. I'll have to dig into my photos to jog the few working brain cells I have left to see if that's true. By the way, thanks for the interest. I'll keep all informed if and when I pull that radiator again. Now that I know what's involved, it's not nearly as hard of a job as it was the first time when I was working sort of blindly.
Scott
Old 08-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Great report Scott!
Its great to hear the good stories, too often all that gets reported are the problems we all experience. Curious if you track your fuel mileage?
Don
Old 08-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Kim View Post
Great report Scott!
Its great to hear the good stories, too often all that gets reported are the problems we all experience. Curious if you track your fuel mileage?
Don
Hey Don,
Yep, it's nice to be able to report that all went well when a trip of this magnitude was involved. For some, this isn't really this big or long of a trip but, for us, it was phenomenal. As stated, that CAT did great.

Now, you ask about the gas mileage. Well, to be honest, I don't track it at all. For me, it's too depressing. This engine has a history of between 6.5 and 8. It doesn't matter what the coach is towing, how much flat ground we've covered, how many grades, down-hills, and more. It still hovers around 6-8, with it's normalcy at about 7-7.2 or so. This coach, as stated is tipping the scales at very close to or over, it's GVWR of 27,910 lbs. And, like stated, it dragged a 6,700 lb load for that 6,400 miles.

The way I look at it is, it get's what it gets. I can't worry about it. We didn't buy a motor home for gas mileage. We bought it to make us happy in our traveling and camping. There's a cost to that.
Scott
Old 08-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
No, I did not change the fan bearing 'cause I could not get those dumb-a$$, TINY, Allen flat head, 1/4" screws out of the fan bearing pulley cover. I tried and tried but, they weren't coming out. So I left them.
Thanks for the report, Scott. Good job!

I've never had much luck with penetrating oils loosening stubborn fasteners until Kroil. Not saying that it will work in your situation but it might be worth a try. The aerosol flavor is the easiest to use. Link to Kroil It used to be a little hard to find but nowadays it's available online and in some auto parts stores. I have no financial interest in the product.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
Thanks for the report, Scott. Good job!

I've never had much luck with penetrating oils loosening stubborn fasteners until Kroil. Not saying that it will work in your situation but it might be worth a try. The aerosol flavor is the easiest to use. Link to Kroil It used to be a little hard to find but nowadays it's available online and in some auto parts stores. I have no financial interest in the product.

FWIW
CocoDave,
Hey thanks for the advice and link to Kroil. I've owned a couple of cans of Kroil ever since I found out about it, several years ago. I've used it in and on, several occasions. I've stated in other forums and topics that, I too have never had any real luck with penetrating oils. Yep, I used Kroil on those fan pulley screws and, ZERO luck, obviously. But, as also stated, if and when I pull that radiator again, I WILL WIN, THE NEXT TIME!
Scott
Old 08-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #9

Scott, I have a book of 4 letter words you can borrow. Somewhere around chapter 6 the words are so strong they will scare the screws right out of the engine block.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #10

My C7 in the 03 Journey did the cross country trip from NJ twice with out a hitch, or a drop of oil. Well the expansion tank did spring a leak and we replaced it in San Fran, that was fun. Now the old girl is in the shop for a trans swap. Antifreeze and trans fluid just doesn't mix well it eats the clutches so rather then pay me later I'll pay them now while i'am close too home. I posted a few notes on the Allison forum about this dilemma.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Gents,
We just completed a 6,400 mile trip around most of the U.S. We covered 20 states and all in all, about 45 days of being gone from home. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. It ran the entire distance, towing our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 which, was carrying our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on a Rampage lift/carrier. So, we drug about 6,700 lbs with us. The "Loop", which started in Lake Havasu City AZ, headed up all the way into Montana and N Dakota. We headed east on over to the Makinaw bridge in MN. From there, down to about Toledo OH, backwards a bit to Elkhart IN, then east again, all the way to Niagara Falls NY. From there, we hung a right and headed south.
We checked out Gettysburg and, Williamsport PA for the Little League World Series area. From there, down to Nashville. Even attended a show at the Grand Ole Opry. From there, on over to AR, TX, NM, and back home. That C-7, hauling 30K lbs worth of Motorhome and, towing 6,700 lbs of toad and bike, did a phenomenal job. We encountered some grades here and there and, it rose in temp a bit but, nothing to get alarmed about. It didn't use any oil at all. It now has 78,000 miles on it. I did an oil/filter/fuel/filter change before we left and, based on how hard it had to work on much of this trip, it gets another change of oil, fuel and filters almost immediately.

My only issue for the trip was the dash air. It worked ok before we started this trip but, that was a while ago. When we pulled out of our driveway to start the trip, the outside ambient temp was right at 100 degrees. Well, on came the dash air. Nope, not happening. So, I knew we'd encounter warm conditions for well over 1/2 the intended mileage but, I didn't want to take any time to put the rig in a shop for A/C service. So, when we got a chance, we stopped in Walmart, got some 134A and sealant and, I'd put some in about every few days.

That did a pretty good job of helping keep us fairly cool. Yep, there's a leak somewhere. I'll get on that soon. I don't like malfunctioning stuff.

I've done all the maintenance/repairs/alterations/modifications on this engine/coach since we bought it, about 6 years ago. It had 40K on the clock back then. As stated, it's close to 80K now. The major work done was pulling the radiator and CAC about 4-5 years ago to replace the radiator, clean the CAC and, change a couple of belts and bearings. No, I did not change the fan bearing 'cause I could not get those dumb-a$$, TINY, Allen flat head, 1/4" screws out of the fan bearing pulley cover. I tried and tried but, they weren't coming out. So I left them.

Well, with this kind of treatment and, mileage, I'm thinking it's about time to pull that radiator and CAC again and, do whatever it takes to replace that bearing. While in there, do the same with the belts, change all that wearable stuff. Maybe even do the "regulators" (thermostats for us normal DIY types).

But, I gotta tell all of ya, that C-7 did just great. There's been a few threads about the reliability of the C-7 on here and maybe other forums but, we sure are happy with ours.
Scott
Thanks for the report Scott. Always a pleasure reading your post.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #12

Hey RVer98,
You're most certainly welcome Sir. There's a serious amount more detail in what happened, where we went, lots of bad road reports and more but, that was a short version of a 45 day trip. Learned a lot about our earlier times, i.e. Civil War, Custer, Niagara Falls and more.
Scott
Old 09-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a similar coach to yours and we are still on our summer adventure. We Started July 1 to tour Alaska. We started in Indianapolis, Indiana went across the US and into Canada through Montana. We started our 50 day caravan with WIT on July 7. We finished our caravan on August 27. We are now in crescent city California looking at the giant redwoods. We have about 6000 miles on our C7 since we started and we have another 2500 before we get home. Motorhome and C7 have performed perfectly so far and we have been in quite a few mountains. too bad caterpillar got out of the over the road business.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
I have a similar coach to yours and we are still on our summer adventure. We Started July 1 to tour Alaska. We started in Indianapolis, Indiana went across the US and into Canada through Montana. We started our 50 day caravan with WIT on July 7. We finished our caravan on August 27. We are now in crescent city California looking at the giant redwoods. We have about 6000 miles on our C7 since we started and we have another 2500 before we get home. Motorhome and C7 have performed perfectly so far and we have been in quite a few mountains. too bad caterpillar got out of the over the road business.
That is really great to hear and read about. On this forum alone, while not all that often, the C-7 get's a bad report. Some folks are even swayed away from a nice coach in their searching, due to it having the C-7 and infamous bad rapport. Well, at least our two are serving us just fine. We now have very close to 80,000 miles on it.
Scott