RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
9Y0545 fuel shut off solenoid

I have a 1999 Newmar Dutch Star w/3126 Cat engine and Freightliner Chassis that starts right up but then dies right away. I am thinking it may be the fuel shut off solenoid, but being a non diesel kinda guy, I cannot locate this solenoid? Can anyone tell me where I may find a picture of it?

rabdnomaidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #2

I'm interested in where you got the info on the solenoid part number .

My understanding is that the ECM just stops firing the injectors to stop the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3126B Heui Engines.pdf (168.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf 3126B no start.pdf (130.3 KB, 16 views)

Old 11-15-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabdnomaidx View Post
I have a 1999 Newmar Dutch Star w/3126 Cat engine and Freightliner Chassis that starts right up but then dies right away. I am thinking it may be the fuel shut off solenoid, but being a non diesel kinda guy, I cannot locate this solenoid? Can anyone tell me where I may find a picture of it?
Do you have serial number. Older 3116 and 3126 were mechanical fuel injected and did have a run shut down solenoid. Some when you engaged the starter would pull and lock a solenoid in for the engine to run. When you turned the key off a small hold in coil would deenergize and the spring loaded shutdown solenoid would slam out shutting the fuel rack off, killing the engine. But there were some different configurations. Serial would help so I can supply a accurate picture.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
If it is a HEUI, then possible bap IAP Sensor - $160. This sensor is use by the computer to control the Oil Pressure for the fuel flow. This is done by the computer controlling the IAP Valve located inside the HEUI.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Do you have serial number. Older 3116 and 3126 were mechanical fuel injected and did have a run shut down solenoid. Some when you engaged the starter would pull and lock a solenoid in for the engine to run. When you turned the key off a small hold in coil would deenergize and the spring loaded shutdown solenoid would slam out shutting the fuel rack off, killing the engine. But there were some different configurations. Serial would help so I can supply a accurate picture.

My serial number is 7AS61902
Old 11-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabdnomaidx View Post
My serial number is 7AS61902
Ok you do have a HEUI, it is the round head style pump. This pump was known have the problems of the actuation solenoid getting sludged up a sticking. This would cause power and starting problems. Easiest thing to do is remove the complete solenoid including a pin that is in the pump housing in the same passage that the solenoid was removed from. Clean solenoid oil end with solvent clean pin and passage where pin was removed. Put clean oil on parts reinstall. The sole that needs tobe cleaned is the 122-5053. The engine ecm kills the engine. Hope that helps. Safe Travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7AS61902.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	267153  
Old 11-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
IPR valve?

This looks like the Injector Pressure Regulator valve? I have replaced it with a new one when the original problem wouldn't even try to start. Now it starts right up, but dies right away?
Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Ok you do have a HEUI, it is the round head style pump. This pump was known have the problems of the actuation solenoid getting sludged up a sticking. This would cause power and starting problems. Easiest thing to do is remove the complete solenoid including a pin that is in the pump housing in the same passage that the solenoid was removed from. Clean solenoid oil end with solvent clean pin and passage where pin was removed. Put clean oil on parts reinstall. The sole that needs tobe cleaned is the 122-5053. The engine ecm kills the engine. Hope that helps. Safe Travels
This looks like the IPR valve? If it is, I replaced that with new one when the original issue was that it wouldn't even try to start. Now it starts right up, but dies right away.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
Cat

Wink

Actuation pressure solenoid. Injector pressure regulator is the fuel pressure regulation valve. But if you changed the actuation pressure solenoid located on the Heui pump did you pull the pin out of the passage in front of the solenoid? Changing the solenoid does not change this pin- it is located where the solenoid is screwed into. You would have to use a magnetic to slide the pin out. Then clean both the pin and the bore you removed the pin from.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the input! and suggestions. I did not remove or clean the pin, when I changed the injection pressure valve, so I will do that tomorrow. I am still searching for the ICP sensor. (Part# ISK964)
Old 11-18-2019, 12:00 AM   #11
Cat

Ok I took another look at the breakdown of the actuation pressure solenoid. The pin I remembered is actually located in the solenoid. So if you replaced the solenoid on the diagram I sent then this pin was part of that. Here is the location and correct part number for the injection actuation pressure sensor. Item 4. ISK964 is not a Caterpillar part number. Again I hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	actuation pressure sensor.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	267218  
Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
ICP sensor

Thank You! I've located it and the wiring and connector appears ok. I ordered a new one under the Cat # 224-4536. Hoping that it will cure my problem.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I changed the ICP sensor (224-4536) yesterday and nothing changed, it still started right up and died right away with the engine PROTEC light on??????
Old 11-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #14
Cat

Have you pulled diagnostic and event codes. Normally the engine software is not set up to shut the engine down, because of the safety concerns of shutting a engine down while its being driven.. The protect could be a number of things, low oil pressure,low coolant levels, high temperature, etc. A bad sensor could give you this.

Tags
fuel, solenoid