Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

A whole new engine now

So we have 1998 National Tradewinds with a 3126 that we bought in 2009 and has never run worth a darn. Never pulled a hill without overheating and real slow. I personally replaced the water pump, idlers, all the hoses ,the radiator and the charge air cooler and belts. Talk about a hole new engine. We are pulling hills here in Canada that I would have never thought I could. Wish I would have done this sooner. The only thing that happened we were pulling the hills in West Virginia around Beckley when one of the hose for the charge air cooler came off. Lost all power. Twenty minutes later back at pulling like a big boys.
ibubuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #2

Welcome! And too bad you waited so long to fix it, but goodonya for your persistence!
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

I wonder which one or ones of those things made the most difference. Glad you got her up and running!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got a whole new engine in my rig. And it certainly runs better now after the third rebuild then after the second rebuild.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #5

Probably the rad was plugged. We just changed mine on my 2000. It didn't look to plugged from behind, but in between the CAC and the rad was just caked with dirt and oil. I very difficult to see in between them, and near impossible to clean. I extended my crankcase vent, and replaced the belt and water pump while we had it out. This and the many other items we found wrong once the rad came out. Done now.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:47 AM   #6

Our 3126E runs at 115f air inlet temp with 80f ambient air temp and 192 coolant. Clean Rad and CAC make a big difference. They dont like elevated inlet air temps due to a blocked CAC.
Good for you!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I got a whole new engine in my rig. And it certainly runs better now after the third rebuild then after the second rebuild.
Now we know why they say. “The third time is the charm”. Unfortunately you are out a lot of cash.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Now we know why they say. “The third time is the charm”. Unfortunately you are out a lot of cash.
Unfortunately you are correct on both!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine