Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Scott, the chrome/stainless tip on mine does not change color - it does get dirty but cleans up without much effort and a little soap & water. I installed the 5050XL oh, maybe 20K mile ago.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #44

Been dragging feet on getting a 5050XL. Thanks, lots of good info in this thread. Am now leaning toward a SP. If its too loud, not much money lost.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Scott, the chrome/stainless tip on mine does not change color - it does get dirty but cleans up without much effort and a little soap & water. I installed the 5050XL oh, maybe 20K mile ago.
Safe Travels
Bob
Bob,
Is yours the "MBRP" brand tip? You can see those if you look up 5" exhaust tips on ebay.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Scott, mine looks like this one on Ebay MBRP Exhaust Tip T5085 Tip 5" Turn Down 5 inch inlet 14" length T304 Diesel SS I don't know if it is that brand. I'll look at it next time I go out and if it has a brand name on it I'll let you know.
Bob
Old 01-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Scott, mine looks like this one on Ebay MBRP Exhaust Tip T5085 Tip 5" Turn Down 5 inch inlet 14" length T304 Diesel SS I don't know if it is that brand. I'll look at it next time I go out and if it has a brand name on it I'll let you know.
Bob
Bob,
Thank you Sir for getting back to me on this. Yep, I saw those too on ebay, after I got home from the trip and looked them up. The only difference in that one and mine is, mine is welded on and that particular one is a "Clamp on" one. But, that is the brand. Now, again, I don't know if the heat, which maybe used to be slowed down because of the baffeling in the original muffler is now at a free flow and is getting to the tip or what. So, I will email Brazels and see what they think. Thanks again.
Scott
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Scott, I did go out and look at Exhaust tip. It does not that I see have a brand name or any markings on it. It is welded to the tail pipe.
Bob
Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mike,
I'm kind of perplexed here. In my younger years, when we opened up the headers on a gas engine, it was horribly louder in all circumstances. But, that's what we lived for. Of course our parents just about shot us. But, now that I'm in the "Golden years", I like things just nice and quiet and peaceful. But, you're saying it's not all that louder and your wife claims it's just "different". That to me, does not make sense. How could you remove a muffler and it not be incredibly louder???

Are the inner workings, i.e. compression, exhaust, power strokes of a Diesel that much different than a gas engine? I thought all that was basically the exact same. Must be missing something big here.
Scott

P.S. You also say your original muffler was 95 lbs? Wow, that's some serious weight removal. I added a ton of weight to the back of my coach with the Hydralift and carry a 850 lb Honda Goldwing. If, what you say is true, in the weight category of the stock muffler, I'm definitely changing over to the 5050XL. Yahoooooo.
Scott
You really need to get the MP-8 to get the full affect. I installed the Aero Muffler first and did notice that the turbo spooled up quicker. Then I installed the MP-8 @ the 15% or halfway on the rotary dial. BIG difference in power and response and well worth the money IMHO. Third I installed the AFE filter. I have not seen a big difference yet with the filter. The engine does not seem to work as hard and definetly wakes up the CAT.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
You really need to get the MP-8 to get the full affect. I installed the Aero Muffler first and did notice that the turbo spooled up quicker. Then I installed the MP-8 @ the 15% or halfway on the rotary dial. BIG difference in power and response and well worth the money IMHO. Third I installed the AFE filter. I have not seen a big difference yet with the filter. The engine does not seem to work as hard and definetly wakes up the CAT.
rver98,
Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated. As stated, I had that chip in my hand, along with the muffler at the Quartzite event but, it was too much to swallow in one bight. So, it's just the muffler for now. When I recover from the install of it, I'll lean towards the chip. I was told I should get an exhaust temp gauge when it comes time to install the chip because you're pushing a bit more fuel through it on grades etc.
Scott
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #51

I don't know, but maybe I'm missing something here? I just replaced the muffler on my '99 Discovery, with the Aero 4040 muffler. The original tail pipe turned 90 degrees to exit out the side, but when I changed to the Aero I ran it straight out the back. The exhaust sound is quite pleasing, throaty, but not overly loud, sounds like 500 hp! HEHE. I can't say I have seen any great improvement in anything, what I know is the exhaust system much simpler and prettier! It's almost a shame to put something as pretty as the Aero muffler out of sight under a motorhome! LOL!!

The trip we made to AZ this fall was as rough as any we have made, that is why I can't say as I saw any appriecable difference in power or mileage. The wind was as bad as it could have been, right on the nose, and STIFF, all three days on the road.

I still would like to know why everyone opted for the bigger Aero? Thanks.

Dale
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
rver98,
Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated. As stated, I had that chip in my hand, along with the muffler at the Quartzite event but, it was too much to swallow in one bight. So, it's just the muffler for now. When I recover from the install of it, I'll lean towards the chip. I was told I should get an exhaust temp gauge when it comes time to install the chip because you're pushing a bit more fuel through it on grades etc.
Scott
I did a lot of research prior to the purchase of the MP-8. I even called CAT and I received a data report that shows the rpm's and EGT's @ stock. It was amazing to see how many times throughout the test the stock CAT runs at 1300 degrees. I have been in contact with other MH owners that installed the MP-8 on a C7 with an EGT gauge and they rarely ran above 1100 degrees. So I decided to take it easy and not install an EGT gauge. www.thoroughbreddiesel.com was the best price I found on the internet for the MP-8.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #53

National RV Owners Club
GreaTOne65
RE post #51 question about the larger size muffler. The exhaust on my RV was a five inch so the larger 5050 was the appropriate size. The 4040 would have restricted the flow, no?
Safe Travels
Bob
Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed the 5050XL on my cat C7 ( 10/2011), didn't seem much louder just different sound, immediately noticed improved throttle response, quicker acceleration, being at 5000 ft. it may be more noticable. Put 1800 miles on didn't see any MPG improvement, then istalled MP-8 chip for return home another 1800 miles, still no MPG improvment but a much better accellerating MH. The MP-8 is a big improvement in performance. Hills no problem flys right up them. Just finished a 4000 mile trip still haven't seen MPG's go up, mostly because of wind conditions, MPG's have been 6.5 - 7.9, avg speed 66 mph. Although one 300 mile stretch I kicked it up to 77 mph and got 7.7 MPG no wind, I thought that was pretty good mileage with that speed. All this with mini cooper toad on dolly.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Now, again, I don't know if the heat, which maybe used to be slowed down because of the baffeling in the original muffler is now at a free flow and is getting to the tip or what.
Scott
Exactly what is happening, it's more free flowing so the heat is higher and the heat is turning the stainless color. There is a product called "Blue Away" (I think that's it) that removes the color. Can usually find it at motorcycle shops. But it's not just a one time thing, you'll have to keep doing it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
I did a lot of research prior to the purchase of the MP-8. I even called CAT and I received a data report that shows the rpm's and EGT's @ stock. It was amazing to see how many times throughout the test the stock CAT runs at 1300 degrees. I have been in contact with other MH owners that installed the MP-8 on a C7 with an EGT gauge and they rarely ran above 1100 degrees. So I decided to take it easy and not install an EGT gauge. www.thoroughbreddiesel.com was the best price I found on the internet for the MP-8.

Good luck!
Well Sir, I'm going to run this new muffler for a bit before I jump into the Chip thing. By the way, since I don't have an exhaust temp gauge, where in the system do you install it? I know it will be in the exhaust some place but, just exactly where?
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmacs View Post
I installed the 5050XL on my cat C7 ( 10/2011), didn't seem much louder just different sound, immediately noticed improved throttle response, quicker acceleration, being at 5000 ft. it may be more noticable. Put 1800 miles on didn't see any MPG improvement, then istalled MP-8 chip for return home another 1800 miles, still no MPG improvment but a much better accellerating MH. The MP-8 is a big improvement in performance. Hills no problem flys right up them. Just finished a 4000 mile trip still haven't seen MPG's go up, mostly because of wind conditions, MPG's have been 6.5 - 7.9, avg speed 66 mph. Although one 300 mile stretch I kicked it up to 77 mph and got 7.7 MPG no wind, I thought that was pretty good mileage with that speed. All this with mini cooper toad on dolly.
I'm sure glad I see someone else getting the mid 6s and 7s in fuel mileage. I keep seeing people claiming 8-9-10 or more mpg and I'm pretty sure if you dropped my rig from a plane it woudln't get that high a mileage falling to earth. 'Course I guess running at or over the GVW, carrying an 850 lb Honda Goldwing and towing a new Honda CRV doesn't help matters much.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Exactly what is happening, it's more free flowing so the heat is higher and the heat is turning the stainless color. There is a product called "Blue Away" (I think that's it) that removes the color. Can usually find it at motorcycle shops. But it's not just a one time thing, you'll have to keep doing it.
Well Sir,
Just for the heck of it, I went out to the back of the coach this afternoon and, armed with some metal polish that I use for my wheels, and a buffing cloth, I ended up making that tip Chrome looking again. And yes, you're most likely right, it will "blue" again, when I'm hauling all that weight to my next camp site or RV park. Oh well, I'll live, and it will too. Thanks again for your assitance here.
Scott

Tags
3126, aero 5050xl, cat, install