RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #15

Thanks all, my old filter looks the same on both sides, ie new. I'll be traveling this weekend and will advise what my filter minder tells me.

I wish I had a vacuum gauge to actually test it. Need to poke around the shop.

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126

rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Scott,
Another Scott here. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, had approximately 8 years and, 45K on the clock when I too thought that the restriction indicator was telling me it was about time to change that filter. So, like you, I buzzed out an bought one, to the tune of about, $120.00 or so. I popped that new big boy in there, re-set the indicator and, fired the big CAT up.

Guess what, that indicator went RIGHT BACK TO THE SAME SPOT!! I re-set it again, just to be sure. Fired the big CAT back up and, yep, right back to the same spot. I talked with my son who, at the time was working for a large RV Repair Center in San Diego about it and, he confirmed, those indicators are not often all that true. They simply advised their customers to use mileage and time for a true indicator.

Of course, if you run around off road a lot in finding camp spots, play areas for use of toys, and all that, you more than likely will dirty up that air cleaner a bit earlier so, keep all that in mind.
Scott
So Scott, another Scot here, but I spell my name correctly! Anyway, did you replace the vacuum gauge? And if so, did the new gauge show good or bad? If bad, could there be an obstruction somewhere ELSE in the intake?

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #17

Bigd9! I stand corrected! My apologies. I had just replaced the filter on my C9 and never expected it would have been installed any other way, thanks for the lesson. After 50 yrs. with my one and only woman, I know when I'm licked!! LOL!! My handle is because of my car, a 65 GTO. GreaTOne 65??
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Not to be insesant, fellows, but I just replaced the air cleaner on the C-9 I just bought, and the hole you are looking at is the outlet, the hole in the center is the inlet.
You need to go read up on the FARR-Ecolite filters!
https://www.maesco.com/products/raco...ies_intro.html
Quote:
ECOLITEŽ
  • Compact air cleaner with reverse flow flexibility
  • Tapered offset cone design assures uniform air distribution, minimizes air restriction and maximizes element service life
  • Positive barrier, pleated paper media is set in a superior quality adhesive for a permanent seal
  • The only air filter available with choice of flow directions in a single part number
  • Airflow may enter or exit end opening
  • Efficiency is rated 99.9%
  • No seals or gaskets to replace
  • Housing is strong, lightweight, rust resistant steel
Quote:
The original Eco Series product, the ECOLITE is still the only air filter in the industry that you can flow air in either directions. This allows a variety of installation options with the same part number replacement element. The ECOLITE can be mounted in any orientation or convenient location; under the hood or outside, direct or remote.
The ECO-LL is similar to the ECO-SM, but is for applications where the customer wants to get the longest life from his air filter. There are also more sizes available. It is also for outside-on air flow ony and has drain holes around the paerimeter.
They are, as I said earlier, designed to be used either way. One way is more efficient than the other though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Note that only the ECOLITE model of the Farr-Eco filters can flow either way. The ECO-BC model (which looks externally just like the ECOLITE) used in my coach, for instance, must be mounted vertically with 'inside-out' airflow (in the end at the top, out the side at the bottom).

Here's a Racor brochure describing the various filters: Air_Filtration_Brochure.pdf (just added to 'Files', so won't be available for download until the moderator has approved it, which may take a little while).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:21 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine kept popping up all the time, so I finally ordered a new one as I'd had the coach for several years and not changed it. It was really weird that it kept popping up all the way on every trip, so we checked the indicator and it showed good. Pulled the old one out and it was all shredded and damp. OOppss.. I weighed it and it weighed almost 20# and the new one weighed in at 11#. It figgered that there was almost a gallon of water in it and wasn't draining out. Oh, no drain holes. It would appear that when I was driving down the road on wet pavement, it was sucking moisture in the intake which was three feet off the ground and right behind the rear wheels. Bad design. No problems in over a year, but then I haven't been out in the rain this year.
No Rain up here in the smokey PNW.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I replace mine every 2 years, and buy the Eco-lite at Freightliner for about $90. If you read the documentation that comes with it from FARR, it will state to replace it every 2 years or 20K, whichever comes first. For $90 bucks and about 20 minutes of my time is cheaper than a new turbo. While my gauge is always yellow when I change it, if you tap it on the ground I always get dust, dirt and debris out of it, so it must be working.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #22

I've replaced my air filter three maybe four times and found the best price at the freightliner parts department, much less than Napa or other auto parts stores. In this case it pays to shop around. Just my opinion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #23

To let everyone know, my filter minder went to max on the new filter. So I'm thinking my old filter that looked new was probably just fine.

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #24

Replacing the $125 plus air filter every couple of years or so is, in my opinion, a pretty inexpensive item to help protect a very expensive engine. But I've never met anyone who actually had a paper air filter break down and destroy an engine.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #25

Hello everybody

Just something to ponder, the air intake box the opening might be restricting the air flow, so the filter could being have to work harder. took my air filter out & drilled 3 4in holes in air box,used to pull 22ins with new filter now down to 5 to 7ins, just something to ponder.

Ben
04 travel supreme select
500hp ism
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatone65 View Post
bigd9, not to be critical, my friend, but the hole you are looking in is the clean side of the filter. Stand the filter up and look down the inside, that is the dirty side.
wrong information

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote