Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

Air Filter not dirty?

I have seen that my vacuum filter indicator has said that my filter needed changing. It's been about 13000 miles. So I bought the filter at Napa $140!!!!
When I pulled the other it almost looked spotless. I am saving it to see if I get another "dirty" reading on the new filter.
I'm guessing that the indicator is bad, but are there any other things I should be looking for???

Thanks Scott

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
I have seen that my vacuum filter indicator has said that my filter needed changing. It's been about 13000 miles. So I bought the filter at Napa $140!!!!
When I pulled the other it almost looked spotless. I am saving it to see if I get another "dirty" reading on the new filter.
I'm guessing that the indicator is bad, but are there any other things I should be looking for???

Thanks Scott

13,000 miles in HOW LONG? Age alone can sometimes cause the filter element to close up, restricting the airflow. The true test is what your gauge shows on the new filter.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
13,000 miles in HOW LONG? Age alone can sometimes cause the filter element to close up, restricting the airflow. The true test is what your gauge shows on the new filter.

My understanding is the same as above. Here is a picture of my old and new filter for the Cat C7 engine. I suspect the dirty one was a original filter with 8 years and 25,000 miles on it. When I bought the coach the indicator showed it needed to be changed also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7885 1024 x 768.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	104789
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #4

Bigd9, not to be critical, my friend, but the hole you are looking in is the clean side of the filter. Stand the filter up and look down the inside, that is the dirty side.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Bigd9, not to be critical, my friend, but the hole you are looking in is the clean side of the filter. Stand the filter up and look down the inside, that is the dirty side.

Every filter has different airflow , I'm thinking that Bigd9 and I have the same filter and airflow direction , and that is a picture of his inlet side, or at least it would be if those were my filters..
Old 08-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

My dirty side looks like your new filter! Except for the dust on the outside shell of the filter it looks new.

I think the time frame was 2 years or there about and stored inside.
I looked for any other possible obstructions but did not see any.

rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I ordered a new air filter, $93, online and when I tried to change it I found that in order to change the air filter I must drop a portion of the exhaust pipe...I will let the Cummins service shop do this. I have a 2000 Allegro Bus.
I did change the oil and filter myself...21 qts of Rotella T5 15w-40...really pretty easy except for the garder snake that wanted to help me.
I am also going to let the service center drain and flush the cooling system, fuel filter, and air dryer filter...
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That would be the outlet on mine as well.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post

Thanks Scott

Well Scott,
Another Scott here. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, had approximately 8 years and, 45K on the clock when I too thought that the restriction indicator was telling me it was about time to change that filter. So, like you, I buzzed out an bought one, to the tune of about, $120.00 or so. I popped that new big boy in there, re-set the indicator and, fired the big CAT up.

Guess what, that indicator went RIGHT BACK TO THE SAME SPOT!! I re-set it again, just to be sure. Fired the big CAT back up and, yep, right back to the same spot. I talked with my son who, at the time was working for a large RV Repair Center in San Diego about it and, he confirmed, those indicators are not often all that true. They simply advised their customers to use mileage and time for a true indicator.

Of course, if you run around off road a lot in finding camp spots, play areas for use of toys, and all that, you more than likely will dirty up that air cleaner a bit earlier so, keep all that in mind.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I have heard that moisture will also degrade an air filter (it is made of paper) thus restricting air flow even if it does not look dirty. One of those internet statements that make you go "hmmmm..."

Hence timed out (age) replacement guidelines, I guess.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The glue holding the filter media can dry out and split. They recommend changing every 2 years even if the filter minder has not moved.
On the '02 DSDP ISC 350 w/Banks kit mine would run right at 15 after a hard pull with a new filter. There was just too much restriction in the filter and inlet tubing.
The Magna has a much bigger filter and is showing 0 so far.
The FARR-Ecolite filters shown earlier are designed to flow either way although the efficiency is lower going one way over the other.
NEVER use compressed air to blow the dust off the media, doing that can easily damage the media and lead to a dusted engine and overhaul.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #12

Not to be insesant, fellows, but I just replaced the air cleaner on the C-9 I just bought, and the hole you are looking at is the outlet, the hole in the center is the inlet.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #13

Air Filter not dirty?

Must agree with Great1. Just went outside and looked at filter. The opening in the side is the intake on my C7 300hp Cat rear radiator.

Oops re read his statement and mine in the opposite. Side opening is the intake!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Go ahead Oh GreaTOne65 (I love your handle. What is the meaning of the 65?) and be critical, my friend, I can take it. I can remember being wrong once in my past 66 years.......no wait that was my wife's fault (BTW 43 years anniversary is in a week so I have had the chance to see her wrong a lot of times!)

Anyway gee golly holy mackeral I didn't realize posting a few pictures of a dirty air filter could stir up such a discussion! I guess that is a good thing. I only wish I saw all of these post last night so I could have posted these additional pictures. I sure didn't want to be responsible for anyone losing sleep over me installing the filter backwards

On this C-7 Caterpillar engine the filter is indeed installed so the side opening is the inlet from the motorhome outside sidewall inlet grill (dirty side) and the end is the outlet to the turbocharger (note the rubber gasket on the end opening).

Pictures show the old filter just before I removed it, and the clean inside of the old filter and the dirty outside of the old filter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7872.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	104829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7875.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	104830  

Name:	IMG_7878.jpg