Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #85

So, bear with my ignorance......If you are certain the fuel is clean, why can't you pour it in the big hole as well as the small holes? I'm an inquiring mind!!!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
So, bear with my ignorance......If you are certain the fuel is clean, why can't you pour it in the big hole as well as the small holes? I'm an inquiring mind!!!
Putting it in the small holes filters it before going to the injectors ! Just to be safe !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Excellent idea Scott!
Thank you Sir. The gallon of diesel takes about zero space in one of my compartments since, I'm pretty organized and have a place specifically for it. As of yet, I've not had to use it for an emergency filter change on the road, YET!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #88

When I purchased my motorhome the dealer attempted to replace the fuel filters empty. They thought the CAT motor had a electric pump in the tank and had a tech turning the key on and off. Long story short I had them fill the filters with fuel and prime it using the pump on the primary fuel filter. I then loosened the fuel return line while cranking the engine until it bled the air from the system and the engine started. It can be very painful to start a diesel when it runs out of fuel. I always pre fill my filters. I found a funnel with a water separator filter that makes it easy to prefill the filter through the center hole.

I am curious as to how much smoke comes out after starting with the fuel filters full of ATF?
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
When I purchased my motorhome the dealer attempted to replace the fuel filters empty. They thought the CAT motor had a electric pump in the tank and had a tech turning the key on and off. Long story short I had them fill the filters with fuel and prime it using the pump on the primary fuel filter. I then loosened the fuel return line while cranking the engine until it bled the air from the system and the engine started. It can be very painful to start a diesel when it runs out of fuel. I always pre fill my filters. I found a funnel with a water separator filter that makes it easy to prefill the filter through the center hole.

I am curious as to how much smoke comes out after starting with the fuel filters full of ATF?
Sounds to me your techs where cluless. Customer instructing them how to prime?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #90

Guess it depends--the ISL 400 [Cummins]on my 03 Alpine has an electric lift pump, actuated by the ignition key. Usually runs for 30 sec per cycle of the key. Couple of cycles and I am good to go....Did I mention that there is a handy vent set-screw on the top of my filter housing so I am able to fill new filter via gravity from tank after install?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #91

Mchero, yes they were clueless. Lucky for me I have over 40 years of automotive and truck service experience. I am able to do my own repairs and my own maintenance.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

=================================================
I thought filling it thru the small holes was the way to do it?
That is what I do.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #93

Slemnah,

There is no excess smoke when the engine is running and the fuel source is engine oil, ATF, peanut oil, or vegetable oils.

Diesel fuel injection systems auto calibrate for the viscosity of the fuel, so the mixture of fuel to air is always being corrected.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #94

Quote:
Mchero, yes they were clueless. Lucky for me I have over 40 years of automotive and truck service experience. I am able to do my own repairs and my own maintenance.
Steve
Thanks for the info Steve. Same thing here, I do my own work and NEVER buy new! Been working for 12+ years.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
=================================================
I thought filling it thru the small holes was the way to do it?
That is what I do.
Phil
That's what it says in the CAT manual if you don't have the prime pump.Now I'm waiting for someone to tell us they prefill with peanut oil next!
Old 03-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #96

Freightliner Owners Club
Changed the fuel filters today. I changed the primary/water separator first, access wasn't too bad. Installed it empty and pumped the primer probably 40-50 times. It didn't seem to get that "hard" to pump, but I took a look at the plastic bowl on the primary filter and it is was full of fuel. Fired right up and ran fine for a couple of minutes then it got rough for a few seconds then smoothed right out. Next, on to the secondary filter, not the easiest to access on our coach. If it wasn't so darn tight it would have been a relatively simple process. After obtaining an oil filter wrench got the old one off and spun the new one on empty as well. Pumped the primer again and it fired right up. Ran it on fast idle for a few minutes and never hiccuped. Now on to the belts, definitely not looking forward to that job.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #97

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Kim View Post
Changed the fuel filters today. I changed the primary/water separator first, access wasn't too bad. Installed it empty and pumped the primer probably 40-50 times. It didn't seem to get that "hard" to pump, but I took a look at the plastic bowl on the primary filter and it is was full of fuel. Fired right up and ran fine for a couple of minutes then it got rough for a few seconds then smoothed right out. Next, on to the secondary filter, not the easiest to access on our coach. If it wasn't so darn tight it would have been a relatively simple process. After obtaining an oil filter wrench got the old one off and spun the new one on empty as well. Pumped the primer again and it fired right up. Ran it on fast idle for a few minutes and never hiccuped. Now on to the belts, definitely not looking forward to that job.

Tags
fuel