Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Another caterpillar oil capacity question

My Freightliner chassis book says if you have steel oil pan it takes 21 quarts.
I have a steel pan. I have read and have been told that Caterpiller change the capacity due to excessive blow-by, it was suggested to drain oil and change filter add 17 quart, run the engine let it set and mark the dipstick as "Add", the add 2 more quarts (total of 19) and mark the dipstick as "Full".
I changed the oil added 17 quarts ran the engine let it set and the dip stick shows full? Do I run it with 17 quarts or add 2 more and put way over full on the dipstick?
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
I have a steel pan. I have read and have been told that Caterpiller change the capacity due to excessive blow-by, it was suggested to drain oil and change filter add 17 quart, run the engine let it set and mark the dipstick as "Add", the add 2 more quarts (total of 19) and mark the dipstick as "Full".
I changed the oil added 17 quarts ran the engine let it set and the dip stick shows full? Do I run it with 17 quarts or add 2 more and put way over full on the dipstick?
Well Sir,
The procedure you've outlined IS the correct procedure. You don't say what year or, specifically what CAT engine you have. Much of the procedure pertains to the C-7 but, is also applicable to the 3126, if I'm not mistaken. This oil capacity dilemma has been around for a few years now. I did that very procedure several years ago when we first purchased our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Once the procedure was completed, I took my die grinder with a metal prep scotch pad on it and erased all the previous marks. Then, I put the correct "add" and "full" marks where they needed to be.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #3

Is the coach sitting level ?
Was the engine off for an hour or more when you checked the oil level. ?
Old 05-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
The procedure you've outlined IS the correct procedure. You don't say what year or, specifically what CAT engine you have. Much of the procedure pertains to the C-7 but, is also applicable to the 3126, if I'm not mistaken. This oil capacity dilemma has been around for a few years now. I did that very procedure several years ago when we first purchased our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Once the procedure was completed, I took my die grinder with a metal prep scotch pad on it and erased all the previous marks. Then, I put the correct "add" and "full" marks where they needed to be.
Scott
It's 3126B, But oddly enough, I went back after over 2 hours and checked it and it was at the add mark? I added 2 quarts and it brought it up to full with 19 quarts in it. it looks like the factory dipstick and marking do not look home added.

Note is say check cold or after an hour.

Note it say check it cold or after an hour.

at 19 quarts
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thought.....see if the tube that holds the dip-stick is slipping in and out (moving) when you remove and replace the dip-stick. Mine does. And also my oil fill tube. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree you were correct. Google You Tube and search "adept ape" and watch his video on C7 oil change.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
One thing is for sure and that you can't depend of the dipstick which was installed by the chassis manufacture. Best to be right and just mark your stick accordingly or cut off some of the tube for making it right, if that's the case and wouldn't try adding to it.
My CAT book says 34qts. but things change and with a call to CAT with my serial number, they say 33qts with a 2.5qt filter.
Also mine has a habit of reading differently at times and depending on how long it sits and how long you leave the stick in, before pulling it out again to check it. Pretty frustrating so will be really paying attention at the next oil change with where 33qts puts it and have no idea where it is now.
I say this because of the way you must install a Spartan fluid tube on the CAT oil pan and Spartan is kind of iffy about it, as well.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #8

I have the same engine and called CAT, they said 34.5 quarts. I did that. Boy did I "lubricate" the paint on my toad pickup!!! That was with a slobber tube catch can. A quart or so of oil in "mist" form covers a large surface area of a toad (and back of coach!!).

I have learned that anything over 33 leads to excess slobber and shows on my rig as near the bottom of the full range. I also agree that I get very different results if I do not wait 4 hours or so to check oil. Shouldn't take that long to get the oil back in the pan I know, just what I experience.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
One thing is for sure and that you can't depend of the dipstick which was installed by the chassis manufacture. Best to be right and just mark your stick accordingly or cut off some of the tube for making it right, if that's the case and wouldn't try adding to it.
My CAT book says 34qts. but things change and with a call to CAT with my serial number, they say 33qts with a 2.5qt filter.
Also mine has a habit of reading differently at times and depending on how long it sits and how long you leave the stick in, before pulling it out again to check it. Pretty frustrating so will be really paying attention at the next oil change with where 33qts puts it and have no idea where it is now.
I say this because of the way you must install a Spartan fluid tube on the CAT oil pan and Spartan is kind of iffy about it, as well.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
I have the same engine and called CAT, they said 34.5 quarts. I did that. Boy did I "lubricate" the paint on my toad pickup!!! That was with a slobber tube catch can. A quart or so of oil in "mist" form covers a large surface area of a toad (and back of coach!!).

I have learned that anything over 33 leads to excess slobber and shows on my rig as near the bottom of the full range. I also agree that I get very different results if I do not wait 4 hours or so to check oil. Shouldn't take that long to get the oil back in the pan I know, just what I experience.

Chris
My experience also and don't get it with all these different level readings and what got me adding probably too much oil in the first place. Although I do have a little leakage, yet to be found positively, but evidently the oil pan and even though the gasket has been changed once, already. Nothing to speak of from the slobber tube and do have a Gatorade bottle hanging on it, as well.
Not really bad on the toad and maybe just some drops on the right front fender and bumper.
I personally replaced the fluid tube after a melt down from the turbo and wrapped the new one with glass insulation, that I got from a speed shop, while in RI. Spartan sells this add-on also, but it's not very long and I usually overkill everything. Long story with the way I connected it to the oil pan, but if my calculations are correct, along with trying to second guess Spartan, being full should be below the add mark a bit. I'm about on the add mark now and wouldn't dare add another qt.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat